[Feature request] Support for synchronization services other than Dropbox and iCloud

albatr0ss
albatr0ss
Community Member
edited August 2015 in iOS

Being 1Password a security oriented software I'd like to see supported other services rather than only Dropbox or iCloud. On the Mac version you have the choice to select a folder (that could sync to any other service) but this way you would loose synching on mobile devices.

What I don't like in Dropbox and iCloud is that they are missing "zero knowledge encryption".

Personally I am voting for www.sync.com, a new service that offers 5GB of real encrypted storage for lifetime. Another option could be supporting webDAV access to sync services. In that way it would be possible to access personal cloud services such as ownCloud.

Please let me know what 1Password developers think about this. In the meantime thank you for your great work and an extra thx for the CC PIN availability on watch.

Tony

1Password Version: 5.5
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: 8.4.1
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @albatr0ss,

Thanks so much or sharing your thoughts here! As I'm sure you can imagine, alternative sync solutions are a popular request around here, and our developers have spent a lot of time researching the various options. Now, because we offer 1Password across so many platforms, we have a few requirements that must be met before we can seriously consider a sync service. I can't speak to sync.com, but I can certainly mention it to our team.

In general though, I want to assure you that the security of your 1Password data never depends on the security of the sync service that you're using. Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

If you would still prefer to keep your data off the cloud, we offer Wi-Fi sync, which will keep your Mac and iOS devices synced up whenever they are on the same Wi-Fi network.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• albatr0ss
    albatr0ss
    Community Member

Thank you for your prompt reply Megan.

I know that the vault file encryption is nearly impossible to break (wouldn't really bet on NSA's capabilities though :-).

Together with the 1Password vault file I keep other data (not encrypted) on Dropbox and wanted to avoid the service because it really isn't encrypted the way it should be (data deduplication etc...)

Hope that you can find a good balance between requirements and customization.

Again, thank you for your support.

Tony

• Emulty
    Emulty
    Community Member

Hello!
    I have the same problems.
    iCloud sync is convenient, but I have also Windows PC and doesn't work with it. Your WiFi sync is extremely not useful and doesn't work stable. I don't have DropBox account and don't have plans to use it.
    Please let's do anything! In example I'm using Yandex.Disk and this service supports WebDAV...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2015

Thanks for the feedback! :)

@Emulty, if you are having trouble with WiFi sync, please start a new thread and we'd be happy to help troubleshoot.

• ThorTheNinja
    ThorTheNinja
    Community Member

What about incorporating mega.nz as they also support iOS, Mac, Windows, Linux, etc and offer far more free online storage? I still use iCloud Syncing for now, but I also would love to incorporate my Windows machine. Alternatively, is it possible to save the same file to folders? Say, save the file to iCloud, and a user's pre-selected folder? Keeping both in sync?

• mbangerter
    mbangerter
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

i would really love to see SpiderOak sync option on IOS devices

• sphaera
    sphaera
    Community Member

I'm in with another vote for wifi sync of secondary vaults. Although I am even more in to be able to insert pictures and files over the iOS app :)

• Thanks for the votes, folks.

@sphaera WiFi sync of secondary vaults is already possible with 1Password for Mac (with the caveat that you must also sync the primary vault via WiFi).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.