First user requiring assistance

Options
littlebobbytables
littlebobbytables
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: SOS. 1Password is so confusing.

Comments

• ALBERT IKEDA
    ALBERT IKEDA
    Community Member
    Options

I only use an iMac 27 inch, no twitter, no Facebook, no iPhone; I use Samsung Galaxy S5 cell phone and Garmin GPS.
    I want to have one password for: MacPro 1,1; iMac 27" 2013; Google email; iTunes; Amazon; PayPal; eBay; iCloud; Just/Zip Cloud; Adobe; Inkscape; Update (MU) Program; Snapz Pro X; Apple Store; iCloud Email;
    What's the step by step procedure to install ONE PASSWORD for these listed items???

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

That misses the point of 1PW.

If you want to use 1PW you should have separate passwords for each service you use, stored in 1PW and accessed by your 1PW Master Password, which will be the only password you need to remember.

Also, 1PW cannot enter the login passwords on your computer, partly because these are needed before applications such as 1PW start to run.

Using the same password for everything means that if any service gets hacked and the passwords stolen, the thief can access all the other services.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@danco is correct that you should not use just a single password for all those sites and applications.

But if the question is how to get the 1Password application on those devices, that's a different matter. If this is what is wanted, then:

For the iMac, download and install 1Password 5 from eith the AgileBits web store or the Mac App Store. You'll have a 30-day free trial from the AgileBits store, which might be a good way to see how you like the software. If you get a copy from the Mac App Store, you will be required to pay for it before you can download it. If you want iCloud for syncing data among devices, you must buy from Apole, though. However, since there is an Android device involved, iCloud won't be an option anyway, so I would recommend getting the application from AgileBits and giving it a try.

For the Galaxy cell phone, you would download 1Password from the Google Play store. It is licensed completely separately from the Mac version, but it's free to download and try in its basic form. More advanced features require payment for another license. I don't use Android devices, so I'm not familiar with the differences between the basic and advanced versions for Android.

There is no 1Password for Garmin GPS devices.

Once you have the software installed, there are detailed directions for getting started on the AgileBits Support page.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ALBERT IKEDA,

I've split your posts off from the other thread as that one could prove to be quite involved and mixing the two may not help either of you. You've got a couple of replies here although I'm unsure if danco's post is based on a misunderstanding or not, do you currently use a single password for all of those services and are you wanting to keep using a single password? If you are 1Password would be an expensive purchase given you're missing out on its most valued features.

Here is our Getting Started guide for the Mac which includes installing and first use. For Android this is our main page which includes a link to the Google Play Store and this is a link to our Quick start guide for Android. This will allow you to read about the two platforms and they tutorials also contain a lot of images which I find can help immensely. Obviously if you have questions we're here as well.

Does any of this help?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yes, I wondered if I was misunderstanding. But he does say he wants one password for Amazon, Paypal, iCloud, which is very much open to my interpretation.

If I misunderstood, my apologies.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @ALBERT IKEDA,

I hope the others here have helped, and I'm sorry for any confusion/misunderstanding! In your original message, "one password" could mean "a single (or the same) password", or it could have been referring to the 1Password app. If you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.