Cannot get into 1password, master password is not working

Options
ALBERT IKEDA
ALBERT IKEDA
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Mac

Signed into 1password, I do not use iCloud, do not know its password; also do not use justcloud/zipcloud.
Unable to use 1password, do know how to get in to get in, Master password is no good, need to speak to a real person.
My telephone is: [deleted to protect poster privacy].

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:diagnostics

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

@ALBERT IKEDA - I deleted your phone number to protect you from junk calls. You don't want to post private information like this, or email addresses, in any public forum.

You will discover that quite a few "real" people stand ready to help you here in the forum, if you will post more information about your issue. Is it just that you cannot gain access to your data because your master password doesn't open the vault? Or is it more complex? Also, it should help to give the information that you didn't provide in your original post, at the bottom of your post. What 1Password version are you using, what OS version, etc.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ALBERT IKEDA

Hi Albert,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password! I assure you that I'm a real person, and I'll do my best to help you out with this. First I would just like to make sure I understand the problem - is it that your master password is no longer being accepted by 1Password, so you can't unlock your vault?

If so, the first thing you'll want to do is try the tips here: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

Please let us know how that goes. Or if we misunderstood the problem, please describe exactly what you're trying to do with 1Password, the steps you're taking to do it, and what happens instead. Thanks!

• frances_munoz
    frances_munoz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am having the same issues. After the last update my MasterPassword no longer works in Chrome or on the Mac. So I would like to reset it. I viewed your documentation for both the link above and how to reset it however it is not showing the New Data folder link under file new. Can you help with this? It doesn't actually slide out anything under new. I attached a screenshot to show you nothing happens when hovered over it.

I just want to reset the Master Password. I don't know the old one.

Thank you

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frances_munoz,

Could we clarify what you mean by resetting your Master Password please. The reason I say this is because we do have a How do I start over with an empty vault? guide but this does remove the entire vault. There is no way to merely reset a Master Password as that would be an exploitable security hole. You can change a Master Password but it does require the original.

If you want to start over then that link will help. This is very much the last resort though as it is throwing away your vault.

I take it using backups didn't make any difference? (one of the options covered in My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?). Can I ask, was this a small update to either OS X or 1Password or was it a big change like moving from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5? I'm just trying to get a feel for what changes happened when you lost access to the vault. I do hope access hasn't been completely lost.

• frances_munoz
    frances_munoz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes, I want to change the Master Password to the Vault, since it is not working and I can't get in. I tried the password ten different ways caps, not caps and nothing. Backups didn't work either, but I may try it again tonight to be safe. So right now 1Password can't be used at all so I believe I just need to start over. It was a big change I believe like 3 to 5 and it was working but then after a major update I just can't get in on any device.

Thank you for responding back to me so quickly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frances_munoz,

Just before you start over, do you still have 1Password 3 on your Mac? I'm wondering, can you still access your vault if you try to log into the vault from within 1Password 3 instead of 1Password 5. It's just a feeling but one worth exploring before you resign yourself to starting again with an empty vault.

• frances_munoz
    frances_munoz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables ,

I don't have 1Password 3 anymore. I wish I did. I just created a new vault. I assume I can't import any of the old vault stuff in?

Also the files that I moved to the Desktop to start a new vault, I can delete them correct?

Thank you!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frances_munoz,

I assume I can't import any of the old vault stuff in?

How did you remove 1Password 3? Did you simply drag the app to the Trash, or did you use an app cleaner? If you simply moved the app to the Trash, you might still have your 1Password 3 data somewhere on your system, and if so, we might be able to get it imported.

Also the files that I moved to the Desktop to start a new vault, I can delete them correct?

If you're satisfied setting 1Password up with a fresh vault, those files can be removed, although it wouldn't hurt to keep the backups around for a while, just in case. (You never can be too careful, and if you do recall the Master Password that you used, you could restore to one of those backups.)

This discussion has been closed.