Lost data when transferring phones

Options
pfoxley
pfoxley
Community Member

I transferred Iphone 5s due to cracked screen and restored from iCloud but could not complete, so tried to restore from backup which returned and error 'corrupt file' so now looks like i have lost all my passwords and 1password acts like a new install. I never made a manual backup that i can recall, Info on knowledge base is out of date/PC (not getting same options/results) How do I retrieve my data?

1Password Version: 3.6.2 Pro
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud/desktop backup

Comments

• pfoxley
    pfoxley
    Community Member
    Options

Over 100 passwords.. p o o f! GONE. That was the ONE JOB, O N E J O B 1password was supposed to keep that from happening! An OS X lack of a verified backup problem? Maybe, but really? there is NO encrypted backup A N Y W H E R E ? I Misplaced faith in your App and it's representation.
    I purchased 1password 1/17/12, 8:39 PM and have stored all passwords there since. Assumed there was a secure backup somewhere as iCloud backs up all my apps, and presumably all data along w/apps, but NO! Data is not secure if it is not backed up. Only now in the empty latest current version is there a way sync to dropbox or via wifi? That doesn't help what's done. I regret every recommendation I ever made for 1password. Major migration/backup/security screw up. I can't begin to adequately express my dissatisfaction!

1Password Version: 3.6.2
    Extension Version: ?
    OS Version: 10.10.5
    Sync Type: Icloud/desktop backup
    Referrer: ug:mac/, kb-search:backup, kb:legacy-ios-backup-restore

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @pfoxley,

I hope you don't mind, I've merged your post from the Mac forum into your thread here in the iOS forum to minimize confusion.

I'm truly sorry to hear that you may have lost your 1Password data. I understand how frustrating that must be, and we certainly wouldn't wish that on anyone.

1Password supports a variety of sync solutions, but we are not a sync service ourselves. We leave it up to users to decide how and if they prefer to sync their data, though cloud storage is certainly an option, even in 1Password 3 (for Mac). But for better or for worse, that choice and responsibility rests with the user.

1Password never writes decrypted data to disk, never transmits your data, and does all of its encryption on your local device. 1Password is secure and private by design, meaning the data is yours and yours alone. This approach is very important, as it ensures that your data is kept safe and secure from intruders.

Like any files saved to your local device, your 1Password vault only exists on that device unless you back it up somewhere else. Did you lose any other files in this process, or was everything else backed up?

Based on the information you've provided, this may be a long shot, but I don't want to assume, so I'll ask: in the 3+ years you've used 1Password, did you ever use 1Password on a computer or any other device besides your phone, and if so, did you have your data synced between them?

If there's any remnant of a 1Password vault on your phone, we should be able to help you find it with a Diagnostics Report. If you'd like our help with this, here's how to create and send us the Diagnostics Report.

Again, we're so sorry for the hardship here, and we'll do whatever we can to help you recover your data if it is recoverable.

This discussion has been closed.