I could not find a way to generate new password using 1Password keyboard on Android

Options
vzaliva
vzaliva
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Android

I just do not see approriate menu item to generate new password when registering in Android application using 1Password keyboard.
I purchased premium features on Android. I checked your knowledge base and documentation and could not find instructions how to do this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Generating password using 1password keyboard

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi @vzaliva,

Great question! In 1Password 4 for Android, you can only generate a new password from the 1Password app itself, not from the keyboard. You can do this either when creating a new item or editing an existing item.

When creating a new login item...

• From the Categories list, select Logins
    • Tap the plus sign in the top bar of the app
    • Fill in the fields, and you'll see a key icon next to the password field
    • Tap the key icon to open the Password Generator
    • Adjust the settings to obtain the desired password and select OK
    • Tap "Save" at the top right corner
    • You'll now be able to fill that login from the 1Password keyboard

When editing an existing login item...

• If you're changing a password, make sure you know the old password, or enter it into the change password page before you save the new generated password over it
    • Select the item from the Logins list, then tap the vertical ellipses in the top right corner and select "Edit"
    • You'll see a key icon appear next to the password field, which will open the Password Generator
    • Adjust the settings to obtain the desired password and select OK
    • Tap "Save" at the top right corner
    • You'll now be able to fill that login from the 1Password keyboard, or using 1Password's Go & Fill feature by tapping the URL in the item

I hope this helps! :) Let us know if you have any further questions.

• vzaliva
    vzaliva
    Community Member
    Options

It is a bit inconvenient to switch from input form to 1password app, unlock, generate password there and then switch back to the app and use keyboard (after entering master password again) to fill it in. Also I need to guess somehow what would be the name under which 1password keyboard will look up this login when filling login info in this app in the future (app package name it seems). So I would like to suggest to add this functionality to the keyboard where password could be conveniently generated and saved at the same time.

• peri
    Options

Hi @vzaliva. Thanks for getting back to us. I've gone ahead and forwarded this feature request to our developers for their consideration.
    ref: OPA-615

This would indeed make changing passwords using 1Password on Android a lot easier, and make it easier to avoid using the clipboard as well. Thanks and let us know if you have any other feedback! :)

• tracicollins
    tracicollins
    Community Member
    Options

I am also a new Android user. It is incredibly awkward generating strong passwords this way. At the least you need to add this to the user manual . It would be better to integrate it with your keyboard.

• saad
    Options

Welcome @tracicollins. I will add your :+1: to see a password generator with the filling keyboard, and I will pass on your feedback about updating our guides to include instructions for generating passwords.

This discussion has been closed.