Strange Dropbox Syncing [Resolved, turn out there were multiple 1Password files in Dropbox]

Options
EAPTCB
EAPTCB
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello everyone!

Well firstly, I think I may have come across some kind of bug on the Windows version of 1Password. I always use 'login on secure desktop' option, and when I do, the screen goes blank, which is correct I know, but then once back at the desktop, The main 1password splash screen seems to disappear and all I get is a small box saying 'unlocking' then 1password opens. Not an issue really, but still thought it was worth a mention, as I don't get the animated 'lock' opening my vault.

OK, so, back to the Dropbox problem... I recently re-formatted my PC and I think something went a little astray with the backup procedure of my Dropbox. Firstly, it seems that my iPhone (latest iOS) seems to take presidence over my windows PC version of 1Password, in other words, if I create a new login in windows, then sync my iphone, the iphone sync deletes the new login I just created on Windows!

Also, I have made custom icons for my software licences section which are all fine on Windows, but only 1 of the icons appears on my iPhone. It's as if there are two lots of backups on Dropbox and 1password randamly syncs to whichever one it likes, which explains the hit and miss theory. But I'm just guessing.

I have included a photo of what's inside my '1passwordagilekeychain' folder just for you guys to see if the folder structure is OK.

P.S. I tried the 'repair 1Password' from the file menu of the Windows version, and I have unsynced iPhone form Dropbox, to iCloud, then turned off iCloud and went back to Dropbox.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585 on Windows 10 Pro
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 8.4.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @EAPTCB,

Do not switch the sync services between iCloud and Dropbox to try to resolve this, iCloud and Dropbox are two different data structures that wouldn't resolve any issues and can sometime makes things worse.

In order for us to pinpoint this down for you, we'd like you to email us your 1Password diagnostic reports from both the computer and your iOS device. This guide will explain how to generate the report for both platforms: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

The guide will include the email address to which you can send us the report to. In order for us to connect both emails to this thread, please include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent both; so we can look for it and confirm we got the email.

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

I think I've stumbled across the problem... It would seem I've got two separate 1Password keychain folders in Dropbox.

One is located in the main Dropbox folder (top folder) and one is located in Dropbox/apps/1password. my iPhone was syncing in the top folder (which contains NO data I verified this by opening it in the windows version too)

I found it strange that despite being empty, the iPhone and iPad were somehow syncing?? So I backed up both devices, uninstalled 1password from both, reinstalled, then I pointed my iPhone and iPad to the same folder on Dropbox as the windows version and all seems OK.

Can I just delete the other empty folder which contains no data and sync all my devices through the Dropbox/Apps/1Password folder?

Oh, and in my previous post about my iPhone deleting a new login from windows once I synced the iPhone, that was not the case, it was very late and I wasn't concentrating! :blush:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @EAPTCB,

then I pointed my iPhone and iPad to the same folder on Dropbox as the windows version and all seems OK.

That's great to hear!

Can I just delete the other empty folder which contains no data and sync all my devices through the Dropbox/Apps/1Password folder?

I would suggest moving it to a different location on your drive like in a "To be deleted once I'm sure" folder until you're sure everything is working fine. In a few weeks, delete the folder.

Oh, and in my previous post about my iPhone deleting a new login from windows once I synced the iPhone, that was not the case, it was very late and I wasn't concentrating! :blush:

That's great, I'll update that thread and close it for you.

Thanks for letting us know!

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

So I took @MikeT advice and put the 1passwordkeychain which had no data, into a "To be deleted once I'm sure" folder, then when I opened 1password on Windows, everything was missing :blush: so I quickly put the keychain back to where it came from and all seems OK.

It's strange that my iPhone, iPad and windows are all syncing to/from the Dropbox/Apps/1password keychain, but as soon as I remove Dropbox/1password folder and keychain everything vanishes (even though there is no data in this top-folder)

Everything works fine with the two folder locations in Dropbox, and I'm getting a "if it's not broke, don't fix it" type of a theme going on here, but my OCD is getting the better of me!!

Is there s way to merge the two together, or shall I let sleeping dogs lie? (Maybe I should of called this post 'Analogies of the day' :lol:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @EAPTCB,

This can be quickly resolved if we look at your 1Password diagnostics. Here's a quote from my previous post here:

In order for us to pinpoint this down for you, we'd like you to email us your 1Password diagnostic reports from both the computer and your iOS device. This guide will explain how to generate the report for both platforms: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

The guide will include the email address to which you can send us the report to. In order for us to connect both emails to this thread, please include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent both; so we can look for it and confirm we got the email.

Thanks!

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, will do. By the way, will I be sending you access to all my passwords and sensitive data by doing this? Not that I'm saying I don't trust Agilbits, it's just a little unnerving since my life is stored within the data!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @EAPTCB,

No, these are just diagnostic information about how your 1Password is set up, what versions you're using, where your data file is stored, where your backups are, metadata about the backups and your data file and so on but absolutely no parts of your data are collected nor can we decrypt your data as your data is always encrypted at risk with your master password.

You are more than welcome to go through the files before sending them to us.

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for confirming this for me. I will send the reports soon.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome.

• EAPTCB
    EAPTCB
    Community Member
    Options

OK, all done. I sent diagnostic data from both windows and iOS in two separate emails. I hope you guys can figure out what's going on! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: DWA-66686-535

This discussion has been closed.