Did a place for birth certificate ever exist within 1Password?

RDFowlkes
RDFowlkes
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Mac

When I look at what should be my Social Security Number within 1Password, which includes a PDF, I see my name and Social Security Number and a PDF of my birth certificate, not my social security card. It is the same with my wife. I am not the type to intentionally put info where it does not belong. I feel sure I would have attached a PDF of my/our social security cards to the Social Security Numbers place. This was set up in February 1, 2010. Did 1Password at some point do away with a place for Birth Certificate? Could my birth certificate info have PDF morphed into a spot for Social Security Numbers? I know for a fact that other info in other places within 1Password has morphed over time. Is there now a place to put a Birth Certificate?

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 5.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:birth certificate

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RDFowlkes,

As far as I know, 1Password has never had a Birth Certificate category. Is it possible you added that PDF to a Social Security Number item because you weren't sure where else to put it, and that seemed like a logical place? We often suggest using Secure Notes for information that doesn't fit in another category, butI think a Social Security Number item would also be a good place to keep that, since there isn't another category specifically for birth certificates. I can't think of another way that file would be attached to your Social Security Number item.

I'm sorry I don't have a better explanation for that! If it's a problem, you can always create a new item (like a Secure Note) and attach your birth certificate PDF to that, then delete it from the Social Security Number item.

If you have more questions, please let us know! :)

• RDFowlkes
    RDFowlkes
    Community Member

Hi Drew, I know I would never put a birth certificate in the social security location and not put the social security card PDF there. I would have scanned in my social security card and put it in the social security location along with my number. And I don't think I would have just out of the blue decided to scan in my birth certificate if there was not a place for it at the time. I must say your answer of, "As far as I know..." there has never been a location for birth certificate is not terrible reassuring, no offense intended. I guess I will have to try and dig deeper to see what I can find in Time Machine.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RDFowlkes,

I must say your answer of, "As far as I know..." there has never been a location for birth certificate is not terrible reassuring, no offense intended.

None taken! I'm sorry if I was a little unclear about that. To be more specific, I know for a fact that in 2010 (when you said you set this up), the then-current version of 1Password for Mac did not have a Birth Certificate category, and we haven't had that category in any newer version since then. The version in 2010 was 1Password 3 for Mac, which was initially released in 2009. I'm not extremely familiar with older versions that were released before 2009, but since you set it up in 2010, I think it's safe to say it doesn't matter if a pre-2009 version had that category. But just in case you were using a pre-2009 version in 2010, I searched old release notes and found nothing about the existence or removal of any Birth Certificate category. (Instead of explaining all that in my original message, I opted for the more concise "As far as I know", but in retrospect I see how that didn't give you much confidence in my answer. I do apologize for that! :) )

Now, your questions made me curious, and I wanted to be absolutely, 100% positive about my answer, so after your latest message, I asked others here and can confirm that we've never had a Birth Certificate category in any version of 1Password. Of course, that doesn't explain why you have a scan of your birth certificate in a Social Security Number item. However, I'm afraid there's no way for us to know that - the only person who would know anything about attaching that file to an item would be you.

It sounds like you're concerned about that, so to make sure I understand - is the problem that you think you're missing a picture of your Social Security card? Or is it that you think you're missing an item that had additional information related to your birth certificate? If you think you're missing something and want to try searching your Time Machine backups for older 1Password backups that might have it, we'll be happy to help, just let us know. Thanks!

• RDFowlkes
    RDFowlkes
    Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond again. I downloaded a trial version of 1Password, version 2.9.3, on 10/30/08. I purchased the complete app, same version, on 11/2/08. I can give you the version of every update I've made, the date the update was installed and what I paid for paid updates. Skipping ahead many updates, on 11/19/09 I upgraded to version 3.0 (build 30300). The 2/1/2010 date I gave you came from the Created date in the Social Security Number section so, as you indicated, when I bought the app really doesn't matter. I guess there is no explanation why I have a scan of my birth certificate in a Social Security Number location, since I can't remember and I'm the only one who would know.

As to my concern, it was more about was the software acting as it should or was I having a problem? I will just move the birth certificate to another location and scan my Social Security card.

Thanks for our help!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

Hi @RDFowlkes,

That makes sense. It seems reasonable that if you were looking for a place to put a scan of the birth certificate, you might've put it in a Social Security Number item because it would be the closest thing.

You might want to create a Secure Note for your Birth Certificate and attach the scan there. Or you can leave it attached to the SSN item and add the scan of the SS card as well, because items can hold more than one attachment. Either way, as long as it's somewhere you'll remember it, that's the important part. And you know it's securely encrypted either way, as well. :)

In any case, thanks for asking! It's good for us to have a reason to do some research on older versions of the app once in awhile. Great question!

This discussion has been closed.