Moving Primary Vault

Options
wesellmats
wesellmats
Community Member

I just purchased a new Mac and downloaded 1password. My old mac still has the Primary vault on it. How can I move the primary to my new mac.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The absolute easiest way would be to sync the data from your old Mac to Dropbox or iCloud (but the latter only if your copy came from the Mac App Store) and then set up syncing to the same source on the new one.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wesellmats,

As hawkmoth said, the easiest way to get your 1Password data from one Mac to another is usually to use one of the sync options. If your Primary vault on the old Mac is already syncing with Dropbox or iCloud, that makes it even easier because you would just need to use the same sync option in 1Password on your new Mac. Even if you aren't already syncing that vault on the old Mac, the following section of our user guide should be helpful: Using existing 1Password data on a new computer

Does that help? There are other ways you can migrate your data from one Mac to another, so if you don't want to use a sync option, we can help with that - just let us know the version of 1Password you're using on each Mac. Thanks!

• wesellmats
    wesellmats
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I did that but I am not able to switch between vaults easily. On the old mac, I had a drop down menu, the new does not.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wesellmats,

I'm not sure I understand, can you please elaborate on what you're trying to do? You originally said your Primary vault was on the old Mac and you needed to sync that vault to the new Mac. Do you have other (secondary) vaults in 1Password on your old Mac that you also need to sync to your new Mac?

Each vault syncs separately and has its own sync settings in 1Password. It sounds like you synced your Primary vault to the new Mac. If you have additional vaults in 1Password on the old Mac, you'll need to make sure they are each set up to sync, and then you should be able to sync each one to your new Mac as well. You didn't say which sync method you're using, but if you're using iCloud sync, that will only work for the Primary vault, so you'll need to use Dropbox for the others. If you're using 1Password 5 on the old Mac, you can follow these user guide steps for each secondary vault to set up Dropbox sync.

Once your secondary vaults have synced to Dropbox (or if they already are), open your Dropbox folder on the new Mac and find the .agilekeychain files for those vaults. Double-click on one, and 1Password should prompt you to add it as a new vault.

Does that help? If you have more questions or if I misunderstood what you're trying to do, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.