1Password working in Fire Fox and Chrome, but getting read only error when launching app

Hi - I am running V 4.6.0.584 (12), and have no issues in Firefox or Chrome. But, when I launch the app and type my master key, I am getting:

Error
1Password has encountered a problem.
"C:\Users...\1Password.agilekeychain" is read-only.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.584 (12)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: local machine

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi @rhenson,

Did you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 or from one of the early Windows 10 insider builds to the latest stable version of Windows 10?

We've seen this issue before from some users who upgraded Windows, Windows 10 set some folders to read-only status. We aren't able to resolve this yet, this was an issue caused by Windows, not 1Password. The users were not able to undo the read-only status, Windows would just flat out refuse to.

You say you have no issues with Firefox and Chrome, can you tell me what version of 1Password extension is installed for these browsers?

• rhenson
    rhenson
    Community Member

Sorry - just logged back in and saw your response - still not able to access in my upgraded windows 10 client. Same error.

In firefox, I'm using:

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592 (12)
    Extension Version: 4.4.3 (Mozilla Firefox)
    OS Version: 6.2.9200

Chrome is the same except:
    Extension Version: 4.4.3.90 (Google Chrome)

I'm finding it very difficult to manage passwords now as I can't open the client and the newer web extension doesn't seem as robust in allowing me to add/edit accounts - any help in resolving is appreciated!

• rhenson
    rhenson
    Community Member

Update - got the read only issue working!

Found this link:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/after-windows-10-upgrade-all-files-are-marked-as/91b57c95-3d19-4fdf-95a2-047adbdefbd2?page=5&auth=1

In short - Went to Control Panel > Network and Internet > HomeGroup and created a HomeGroup (I shared music, but don't think you need to share anything), rebooted, and am now able to open the 1Password application

Hope that helps someone else out there!

• Hi @rhenson,

Huge thank you from us for updating this thread to let us know how you got it resolved. It will absolutely help other users in the future as more users update to Windows 10.

• MikeT
    edited November 2015

Hi @rhenson,

I'm wondering why this would happen, can you tell me if your 1Password folder was being shared? I would suggest looking at the directory that the 1Password folder is in to see if any of the folders in that directory is shared.

If My Documents is shared, then 1Password folder inside that would be shared as well. In this case, it makes sense that a HomeGroup might need to be re-created after upgrading to Windows 10.

This discussion has been closed.