agilekeychain or opvault?

Hello everyone,

Today I bought 1Password for OSX and Windows. When I'm using 1Password in Windows I can choose to create a new vault als *.agilekeychain or *.opvault format.

Which is the default and best extension to use? I need to read the same databases in OSX and Windows.

With kind regards,
DedSec85

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @DedSec85,

How are you going to sync the data between the Mac and PC? Do you plan to use mobile devices with 1Password? For the best cross-platform support, we recommend .agilekeychain. OPVault is still relatively new for 1Password and not all mobile devices support it yet.

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member

Well, I will save my vault on my NAS.
    1Password on OSX will be saved locally but will make a sync with the NAS. Only in case of emergencies my vault should be opened with OSX.

Right now I saved both databases as *.agilekeychain file.

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi @DedSec85,

You can sync your vault from your local drive to your NAS but you should not leave it on the NAS and have 1Password read from it. 1Password is I/O intensive and reading/writing to a network drive will slow it down a lot.

Also, if you are syncing with the NAS tool, which one are you using? We're investigating a new report of issues with Synology's Cloud Station, so we would advise against using that for now.

For now, you're all set with the agilekeychain format.

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT ,

What causes the I/O to be so high? I did test it on my NAS and had no issues at all, although, not noticeable.
    One of the folders on my NAS is mapped as a network drive, so I'm not using any NAS tool. My PC is connected by a ethernet cable to the network.

My NAS is a Synology DS214play with 2 X a Western Digital Red 4TB harddisk, setup as RAID-1 configuration.

With kind regards,
    DedSec85

• We generally recommend keeping the file locally on the PC/Mac because of potential premission and I/O issues.
    The I/O can be so high because 1Password decrypts and encrypts data as needed. You can read more about our vault designs in the '1Password data formats' section of our knowledge base.

Some customers have reported success storing the .agilekeychain on SMB shares on Synology servers but these can be unpredictable sometimes.

If you wish to use it like that, please make sure you have ample backups of your data. Even more so since you're using a Synology server. As my colleague Mike said, we're investigating an issue with the Cloud Station package (which sounds like a natural fit for syncing an 1Password vault locally).

• AlexHoffmann
    edited September 2015

@DedSec85

While investigating an issue with Synology servers and Cloud Station more closely, we were able to reporduce sync issues when the client and the server tought they were in different time zones or had different times set.

Can you please compare the time and date on your server and your client devices?

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member

Hi @AlexHoffmann ,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not using Cloud Station at all by the way.
    As for the time and date settings, I'm using a NTP server.

I'm using the time.nist.gov server for my Windows PC and Synology NAS, so time should be in sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for confirming. Better safe than sorry! :)

• That is good information, indeed. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.