WIFI Sync: Win+Mac+iOS

AlexS
AlexS
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am a long-time user of 1Password for Mac + iOS. I have always used Wi-Fi sync and never had a problem. I now also use a Windows computer and want to keep my 1Password Vault in sync between Mac + iOS + Windows via Wi-Fi. After I saw the following posts in the forum that say that Wi-Fi sync between the 3 devices should be possible I purchased 1Password for Windows:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/31210/add-mac-to-wifi-sync-with-other-already-windows-synced-ios-devices

However, I cannot get it to work. I still can only sync my Mac + iOS via Wi-Fi. I do not want to use any cloud-based solution to sync my fault.

Please assist me to get Wi-Fi sync between the 3 devices to work.

(I'm using the latest 1Password versions for Windows and iOS. On my Mac I'm using version 4.4.2)
(OS: Windows 10, iPhone iOS 8.3, Mac OS X 10.9.5)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @AlexS,

You cannot sync between computers, you can only pair one computer to multiple mobile devices for the Wi-Fi sync. You can de-pair the computer if you need to switch to a different computer to pair it with the same mobile devices by disabling the Wi-Fi sync and switching to sync with the other computer, like what the last post said in that thread you linked.

We do plan to make it possible to sync between computers in the future but we don't have a timeframe on this.

Do you have your own sync tool you use to sync your data between your PC and Mac? You can locally sync between computers using your own sync tool while picking one PC to pair with your iOS devices. When you sync from the iOS device to the paired computer, the sync tool will sync it to the rest of the computers.

• AlexS
    AlexS
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT for your response.

What I need (and was expecting after I saw the post that I linked) is to sync my Mac vault to my iPhone to my Windows computer and the other way round.

1) Mac (vault has a new entry) -> iOS -> Windows
    2) Windows (vault has a new entry) -> iOS -> Mac

Would that be possible with Wi-Fi sync and is there a step by step guide? Also, would that method replace the other vault (example 1 would replace the Windows vault with the Mac vault without consideration of any unsaved changes that only the Windows vault has)?

In the end I was hoping to use my iPhone to sync back and forth between Mac and Windows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Would that be possible with Wi-Fi sync and is there a step by step guide?

@AlexS: No. Sorry for the confusion, but indeed that is a very old post. That said, you're free to do as you wish, but you'll want to keep regular backups of your data as this is not a supported configuration.

We absolutely do not recommend using an iOS (or Android) device as a 'mule' to sync between two computers. If that sounds bad, it's because it is. Wi-Fi Sync wasn't designed with this in mind, as it uses the client-server model, and doing this can result in data loss. Dropbox is a better option, as it is designed to sync in the manner you describe, between multiple devices, and it is also supported on all platforms. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.