With 1Password set to not conceal passwords, TOTP codes cannot be shown [Confirmed]

Options
tomaus
tomaus
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I use 1Password on Mac, iOS, and Windows, my one time passwords are generated correctly on my devices apart from Windows.

Using both 1Password and 1Password Alpha OTP appear as the attached image.

Anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks,

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tomaus: Ahh, yep! You don't have a TOTP secret saved there, but a URL. Actually, it looks like you have saved the secret as part of a URL (secret=), so simply removing the rest may allow it to work as intended. 1Password doesn't connect to a server to generate the TOTP code, so there's no need for a URL. I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• tomaus
    tomaus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, thanks for the reply.

this doesn't seem to be the solution, I tried removing the URL information at the OTP is still not being generated. I've even tried creating a new OTP on a new login and I get the attached result. What's weird is that OTP works perfectly on iOS and OSX.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@tomaus: Very strange. I know I've set up various TOTPs using 1Password on all platforms, and it's working for me. Can you tell me the exact setup you have (all devices) and the exact steps you're taking? I'll see if I can reproduce this, in case we've got a bug that has crept in somewhere. Thanks in advance! :)

Update: Don't change anything on your end yet in case it will help narrow down what's happening in your case, but I just wanted to clarify this: you should have only the 32 character TOTP secret stored in the item's One-time Password field in 1Password, as that's what's used to generate the TOTP codes. Please let me know what you find!

• tomaus
    tomaus
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 1Password 4.6.0.585 on Windows 10, 1Password Alpha on Windows mobile and the latest releases on iOS 8.4.1 and OS X Yosemite.

I've been using 1Password for OTP since April/May this year. OTP has never worked in Windows and I thought it was just a missing feature however I recently realised that it should work in Windows too. Both 1Password Alpha and 1Password 4 for Windows have the problem whilst the iOS and OS X versions work correctly.

Add New OTP in 1Password 4 for Windows, enter username & Secret:

Fields when complete (top OTP is existing bottom one is newly added):

How OTP is displayed in 1Password:

Thank you for your help so far.

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @tomaus,

This is a bug, I can reproduce it on Windows 7 with this test URL: otpauth://totp/evanx@beethoven?secret=OVEK7TIJ3A3DM3M6 consistently with new One Time Password fields but not on Windows 10 or Windows 8.

I will file a bug report. Please stay tuned, this may need an update to 1Password to fix the issue.

PS: Just to clarify, you can insert the full URL into the One-Time Password fields, you don't need to remove it to generate the URL manually.

ref: OPW-497

• tomaus
    tomaus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike, hope you find a solution soon.

• No problem and yes, we hope to get this fixed quickly.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@tomaus Are your passwords NOT concealed maybe?

If yes, then this is the designed behaviour (not a bug) because when your passwords are NOT concealed, we then display the shared secret. Otherwise, we display the generated TOTP.

Concealing your passwords is the default, recommended behaviour.

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @tomaus,

Just an update, svondutch is correct that this has to do with your password concealment setting (View Menu > Conceal Passwords in the main 1Password program), it will show you the TOTP secret when you have the program set to not hide secrets by default.

However, we plan to change this behavior in the future to match with the rest of the platforms to always show TOTP numeric codes regardless of the concealment setting. The only time you should see the secret is when you edit the item. I don't have a timeframe on when we'll fix this but for now, you can see the code by changing the setting to conceal your passwords.

Thanks for hanging in there to help us figure this out.

• tomaus
    tomaus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks guys, concealing passwords has done the trick!

• On behalf of the team here, you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.