iCloud Sync Trouble

Options
dlaurens
dlaurens
Community Member

Hello,

I’m having trouble syncing my 1Password from Macbook Pro Retina 13” to iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. Running OX 10.10.5 and iOS 8.4.1. The 1Password is a Mac App Store version. I’ve been syncing just fine since the iCloud sync first came out until about 4-5 days ago, I noticed a login that I added from the iPhone did not sync to the Mac nor the iPad. So I followed the instructions in the "Troubleshooting iCloud sync” page including "Resetting iCloud” and "Removing data from iCloud” and tried to re-enable iCloud sync. I also deleted the 1Password app from my iPhone and iPad and re-downloaded the app so I can start from scratch. The 1Password for Mac seemed to be able to upload to iCloud successfully, but when I tried to re-enable iCloud sync on the iOS devices, both the iPhone and the iPad were stuck on syncing and never seemed to finish. So I did the “Resetting iCloud” and "Removing data from iCloud” again, but this time it got worse. When I tried to re-enable iCloud sync on the Mac, it never seemed to finish uploading to iCloud, it's just stuck at syncing.

My wife also started having this problem about the same time as I did, except she’s running Macbook Air, iMac, iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 3, OS X 10.10.5, iOS 8.4.1, Mac App Store Version. Like me she also has used iCloud sync since it came out, and it worked just fine until 4-5 days ago. Her problem though is slightly different, I did the “Resetting iCloud” and "Removing data from iCloud” on her Mac, deleted the app on her iPhone and iPad, but when I tried to re-enable the iCloud sync on her iMac, it said “Enable iCloud”, but it’s always been enabled.

Please suggest a solution to fix this, as right now, both my wife and I can not access the 1Password app on our iOS devices. Your prompt reply will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dan

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dlaurens,

I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble with iCloud sync recently! It sounds like you and your wife may have initially been affected by a problem in the iCloud servers which happened several days ago, and which Apple was apparently able to fix after a day or so. We posted some information about that here. That particular issue only seemed to cause a problem for iCloud sync on iOS devices, and it sounds like that was the original problem you noticed.

If it's still not working correctly, I wonder if the original problem led to other issues. I'm sure we'll be able to get this working again for you! I think you've already tried some of the steps I'm about to suggest, but even if you have, please try them again so we can be sure of the exact results:

• First, as a precaution, make a new backup of the 1Password data on your Mac by opening 1Password and going to File > Backup.
    • Next, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.
    • Click the button for Yes, Remove Remote Data.
    • You should see a message that confirms the data was reset and sync was disabled (click OK).
    • Restart your Mac. (Important!)
    • After the restart, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Set up iCloud sync again.

If it works, this sync will likely take a bit longer than usual, because it has to sync your entire vault to your iCloud account again. So just make sure to give it time to complete the sync. You can try the above steps on both your Mac and your wife's Mac. If it works/completes, you can try again to set up iCloud sync in 1Password for iOS.

On the other hand, if you get an error at any point, please let us know the exact error message (feel free to post a screenshot if you'd like). Once we know the results up to this point, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• dlaurens
    dlaurens
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm, thanks!

Now on to the wife's. I tried following the same procedures but it still says "Enable iCloud" and like I've mentioned earlier we've been using iCloud and iCloud Drive since day one, it's never off, and we've been syncing 1Password through iCloud since it came out.

Before I posted my first comment, I have even tried logging out of iCloud on the Mac and logging back in, and still the same result.

Dan

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dlaurens,

That's great, I'm glad that took care of the problem on your Mac! :)

As for the problem on your wife's Mac, that error can occur if you remove the 1Password data from iCloud using System Preferences (on Mac) or the Settings app (on iOS) rather than from within 1Password itself. Is it possible you or your wife did something like that when trying to fix the initial problem? Our developers are working on improving 1Password so it handles that situation better in the future, and I'm very sorry for the inconvenience!

The following steps should help to solve the problem on your wife's Macs and iOS devices:

1. Make a backup of the 1Password data on iOS like this: https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/ (If you/she already deleted the app from both iOS devices, you can skip this step as there isn't data there to backup.)
    2. Make a backup of the 1Password data on the Mac(s): File > Backup
    3. Remove 1Password from the iOS devices.
    4. Reinstall 1Password on the iOS devices.
    5. Open 1Password on iOS and choose "Create New Vault".
    6. Enter the same Master Password as before.
    7. Sync this new vault to iCloud. You shouldn't get any errors.
    8. Restore the backup from one of the Macs (the backup from step two) to the iOS device.

9. Re-sync and it'll ask to merge the data. That's fine.

10. Let it finish then you can try re-syncing the Mac to iCloud.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes and if you or your wife run into any trouble with that. Thanks!

• dlaurens
    dlaurens
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

Yeah I think I'm pretty sure I deleted my wife's data from Settings-iCloud-Storage-Manage Storage (iOS) which must have caused this error.
    I followed the instructions and all is well again. Thank you so much.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dlaurens,

That's great news! On Drew's behalf, you're welcome! Thanks for letting us know that worked for you and all is well.

Don't hesitate to post again if you have any other problems or questions. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.