1Password 5.5 for iOS entries won't appear on 1Password 3.8.22 for Mac. Syncing with Dropbox 3.8.8

Options
macreggie05
macreggie05
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

When I create new logins or secure notes on my iphone, the new entries don't appear on my Mac OS version 1Password 3.8.22, even though they appear to be syncing to Dropbox. When I create a login or secure note on my Mac OS, they do appear on my iPhone. So Mac>iPhone works, iPhone>Mac doesn't. I'm using the latest version of Dropbox 3.8.8, and both my iOS and Mac OS are up to date. When I create new logins on both my Mac and iOS, the new entries appear in my 1Password keychain (I checked the package contents of the file), so I know the syncing with Dropbox is working, but for some reasons new entries do not appear on my Mac. Tried reading support articles and searching the forum but to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.21
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @macreggie05,

So if an item is being created on your Mac and is then visible on your iOS device then we know Dropbox is correctly set up on both so that's something. I'm wondering if 1Password 3 is being notified of changes to the Agile Keychain though. Can I ask, if you shut down 1Password 3 and launch it once again do the items show? What that does is force 1Password 3 to read the Agile Keychain. If it picks up the items then I would suspect it might be OS X and I have seen it where the Dropbox service notifies me of new files downloaded but 1Password doesn't realise and more importantly nor does Finder. I had to go to the Terminal to confirm they were there and eventually they showed up.

If it isn't that then we might have some damage to the Agile Keychain. We'll work on that theory if the above leads nowhere. So please let us know and we'll continue the troubleshooting process if needed.

I don't know if you're aware or not but as you're running Yosemite (AKA OS X 10.10) you're Mac meets the requirements for running 1Password 5. Now it is paid upgrade over 1Password 3 but contains a lot of improvements and bugs fixes. You can use your existing 1Password 3 licence key to obtain a 50% discount on the normal price when you visit the following page, http://agilebits.com/store/upgrade. You're to forced to by any means, but as you're running Yosemite it is available to you. This is completely separate from the troubleshooting though, it's to be looked at more as a "did you know?". We'll wait to hear back from you before continuing :smile:

• macreggie05
    macreggie05
    Community Member
    Options

The issued is somewhat resolved. I uninstalled 1Password 3 and related files (preferences, cache, application support etc) and then reinstalled the app. The items are now appearing, but I still have to relaunch 1Password to get items from my iPhone to show up every time I make a new item on my iPhone, but at least they're showing up now. Before they wouldn't show up even after restarting the program. The new items on my iPhone do show in the Finder when I open the Agile Keychain package content, but some reason they only appear in 1Password after relaunching. Will upgrading do 1Password 5 resolve this issue? Is there a way I can resolve this issue without upgrading? And if I download the trial of 1Password 5 and it doesn't resolve the issue, could it potentially cause issues if I switch back to 1Password 3? Thanks for your help much appreciated.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @macreggie05,

So it does seem like 1Password still isn't being notified of changes to the Agile Keychain when they happen. Now we use the FSEvent in 1Password 4/5 but if my reading is correct that wasn't introduced until Lion (OS X 10.7) which would suggest it isn't what we do in 1Password 3 given 1Password 3 works on Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).

One thing I've seen suggested is that recreating the folder that isn't being notified on can sometimes make a difference. Is your vault in 1Password for iOS on your iPhone up to date? If it is we could have it recreate the Agile Keychain and see if a fresh one makes a difference.

1. Shut down 1Password 3 for Mac.
    2. Move your existing Agile Keychain from Dropbox to somewhere like your Desktop. That way you can always use it again if need be.
    3. Launch 1Password 5 for iOS. It will complain and inform you sync is disabled.
    4. Follow our guide Sync with Dropbox to have 1Password 5 for iOS create a new Agile Keychain. You'll find it will likely create it in ~/Dropbox/apps/1Password/ just to catch you out.
    5. Launch 1Password 3 for Mac. It should behave as if you've never run it before because it can't find the Agile Keychain it was using before. Click the Find Existing button and point it to the new Agile Keychain. As long as 1Password 5 for iOS was up to date nothing will be lost.

Does 1Password 3 for Mac behave any better with the new Agile Keychain?

There is no guarantee that upgrading to 1Password 5 would help, I merely mentioned it because you're running a version we haven't updated for a couple of years now but your OS is capable of running the latest version. You can of course try the trial version from our site and even run it in tandem with 1Password 3. If you wanted to return to 1Password 3 after trailing it you should find there is nothing to do in switching back beyond removing 1Password 5 as both would be accessing the same Agile Keychain.

This discussion has been closed.