Master Password is not working

While on vacation August 14, 1password app disappeared off my iPhone and the menu it was in was remained. Very strange. I have followed some of your forum threads and restored an old back up on my iPhone and now I have the 1Password information retrieved. For some reason the master password on my Mac computer is not allowing me to open the vault. I found the keychain with the password it doesn't work. I'm wanting to create a new vault. Help.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

While on vacation August 14, 1password app disappeared off my iPhone and the menu it was in was remained.

:scream:

Very strange. I have followed some of your forum threads and restored an old back up on my iPhone and now I have the 1Password information retrieved.

:innocent:

For some reason the master password on my Mac computer is not allowing me to open the vault. I found the keychain with the password it doesn't work. I'm wanting to create a new vault. Help.

@simondove: I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean here, since you went from talking about the iPhone to the Mac. Before we go doing anything crazy like starting over with a new vault, let's make sure we're on the same page. Which 'keychain' are you referring to exactly?

To be clear, AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access to the vault again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password-not-accepted/

If you changed your Master Password, you can try to restore from a backup, sync from another device (the iPhone?), or — failing that — simply start over. 1Password is as secure as the Master Password you choose, but this also means that unless it is entered correctly even you will not be able to unlock it. Please let me what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• simondove
    simondove
    Community Member

The keychain I am referring to is on the iMac, and the idea came from one of AgileBits suggestions when trying to find your master password.

I'm clear AgileBits doesn't have the master password.

I would like the 1Password app that is now on my iPhone from a year old backup to be on my iPhone with last months backup. At the moment last months backup does not have the info.

While trying to solve this disappearance I found out my master password is not working. I know the data on the iPhone, even though it is lasts years has all of what is on the Mac. So in theory if I cant move, rename or shift old backups of 1Password that are on the Mac then perhaps a new vault is the trick.

Thoughts?

• simondove
    simondove
    Community Member

The app on my iPhone is working perfectly and has all the info in it.

The software application on the iMac is locked because the master password is not working.

• simondove
    simondove
    Community Member

I feel very little support from the Customer SUPPORT team.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

@simondove: I'm sorry to hear that! We do our best to reply to everyone on a first-come, first-served basis. Sorry for the delay. Fortunately I've also gotten some rest and I'm ready to help! ;)

The app on my iPhone is working perfectly and has all the info in it.
    The software application on the iMac is locked because the master password is not working.

Thanks for clarifying! If this is true, then one of a few things is happening:

• The Master Password is not being entered correctly on the Mac, perhaps due to an input problem (special characters are sometimes problematic across platforms)
    • The vault on the Mac is different from the one on the iPhone (check the path for each, in Preferences > Sync and Settings > Sync respectively) — without knowing what sync method you're using I can't be more specific than that
    • The vault on the Mac is damaged

So unless the first one is the problem, simply re-retting up sync in 1Password for Mac (disable and then turn it on and select the correct vault) should resolve the issue, as this will ensure that it's accessing the same vault as iOS and grab a fresh copy of the data from Dropbox or iCloud. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

ref: EKP-14147-487

• simondove
    simondove
    Community Member

1Password on Mac is 3.8 running on OS10.10.5
    I dont see in 1Password preferences-> sync and settings

• simondove
    simondove
    Community Member

I don't back up to iCloud or Dropbox

• simondove
    simondove
    Community Member

The 1Password info on the iPhone is good and up-to-date but on an older version backup of the iPhone. I want to get it onto the Mac into a functioning vault so I can restore the iPhone to my last months back-up, and then reload the 1Password data off the Mac and onto the iPhone.

Thoughts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password on Mac is 3.8 running on OS10.10.5
    I dont see in 1Password preferences-> sync and settings

@simondove: That is correct. 1Password 3 didn't have a Sync tab in Preferences the way that the current version of 1Password for Mac does.

The 1Password info on the iPhone is good and up-to-date but on an older version backup of the iPhone. I want to get it onto the Mac into a functioning vault so I can restore the iPhone to my last months back-up, and then reload the 1Password data off the Mac and onto the iPhone. Thoughts?

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be the best plan of action. Please tell me all of the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using. The more information you can give, the better since what you're using will determine which options are available to you. Thanks in advance! :)

• simondove
    simondove
    Community Member

1Password on Mac is 3.8

Mac is OS10.10.5

iPhone 5: iOS 8.4.1

• simondove
    simondove
    Community Member

iPhone wont sync to DropBox. It says the login and password are incorrect, but that is not accurate.

• simondove
    simondove
    Community Member

I upgraded on the iPhone to 1Password 5.5 and I am trying to sync that.

• GreigAllen
    edited September 2015

Hey @simondove!

So we can get your issue resolved quicker I've just sent you a private message and email, so please look for it!

:)

ref: EKP-14147-487

This discussion has been closed.