1Password5 refuses my password and crashes the Mac on second attempt.

Options
roband
roband
Community Member

Let me start by saying this is a new issue (Sept. 4, 2015)
And yes, I am 100% certain my password was entered properly each single time.

This is how it started.

I needed to fill in a login window to enter a site where I go several times a day.
The minimized version of 1Password was not open so I entered my password. The window ‘’shook” and the logo got circled in red.
I delete the password I had entered and entered a second time. I am 100% positive that the passwords entered were right, and in the proper case. When I clicked “Enter” the whole computer crashed and I received a message that the computer had crashed and needed to reopen.
1Password then seemed to work OK after the Mac reboot. The problem appears to happen when I have log into 1Password mini when it is asleep.

Never had anything like this happening before. Any idea what caused it and how to solve it?
1 Password5 version 5.3.2 (532001) Firefox extension 4.2.4 OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.2.4
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:1 password 5 not accepting password then on second attempt rashes my Mac. Upon restart, it works. Happened 3 times today, kb-search:1 password 5 not accepting password then on second attempt crashes my Mac. Upon restart, it works. Happened 3 times today

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password then seemed to work OK after the Mac reboot. The problem appears to happen when I have log into 1Password mini when it is asleep.

@roband: If it's asleep, how are you able to even try to unlock it? :dizzy:

From your description, it sounds like this disk may be failing (didn't work, crashed, worked after reboot). Be sure to back up your data, just in case. If, however, it's 'just' a filesystem problem, simply resonating 1Password and restoring from a backup of your vault may resolve the issue. Data corruption is the only reason that the correct Master Password would not be accepted (apart from an input problem, but then technically the correct Master Password is not being entered). If problems like this persist even after reinstalling, you may need to contact Apple for assistance.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• roband
    roband
    Community Member
    Options

When I say it was ''asleep'' I mean I had to enter my password, as opposed to not having to enter my password if I had used the mini 1Password just before.
    When you say ''simply resonating 1Password'' do you mean deleting the software and reinstalling it again?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @roband,

Sometimes autocorrect is a colossal pain in the preverbal. I believe you've correctly interpreted the intent via the muddled message. Now moving the application to your Trash and installing a fresh copy would take care of any damage to the application itself so that's the first thing to try. I you do decide to try an older backup to see if the problem is damage to the encrypted SQLite database file then I would recommend using the menu option File > Backup before hand so you can always return to the vault you have right now if that doesn't improve matters. If you're still having no joy at all it might be worth us checking out a diagnostic report and seeing if anything springs out, especially as you say it works after a reboot. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When you say ''simply resonating 1Password'' do you mean deleting the software and reinstalling it again?

@roband: Yes! Sorry about that. Autocorrect killed 'reinstalling' I'm afraid. I'm glad you were able to see through the nonsense. :lol:

• roband
    roband
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it seemed to work OK for a few days but it happened just now again. I am ready to remove 1Password with CleanMyMac and reinstall it anew. Before I do this, I want to be sure that I will have no problem after I download a new 1Password5 online. I had originally bought it from agilebits so I know I can get the licence number from you. Once I have downloaded it, where do I go on my Mac to get my backups. They are also saved on Dropbox, but how do I connect the ''empty'' reloaded software with my saved passwords. I have done it in the past but can't remember how it works.
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

I am ready to remove 1Password with CleanMyMac and reinstall it anew.

@roband: Don't. Not unless you know you have a reliable backup of your data elsewhere. This may be overkill anyway, as simply Trashing the app and downloading a fresh copy should do the trick. But most importantly, 'cleaner' apps have a nasty tendency to delete all files created by the app you delete, which would of course include your vault — and you probably don't want to get rid of that! So the best thing to do is create a fresh backup and copy it to a safe location before proceeding:

And then when you start over with 1Password, you can restore from this:

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.