CraftyDiva
CraftyDiva
Community Member

Hello
I'm running OS X 10.10.5 on a new Macbook Pro
IOS 8.4 on an Ipad Air 2
IOS 8.3 on iPhone 5S
Windows 7 on a laptop

I would like to take advantage of the sale but I'm struggling with whether to buy from Apple or Agilebits. The Apple systems are my primary devices and I back up to both iCloud and my Mac (via iTunes) and an external drive via Time Machine. I only need the Windows PC to run embroidery/embroidery machine software but I do sometimes purchase embroidery designs on the Windows PC. Those purchases could be made on the Mac and be transferred to the IBM. I'm leaning toward buying the bundle from Agilebits. Here are my questions:

1. I manage email accounts and have account passwords for two other individuals (parents) that I care for. I don't quite understand the concept of a vault. Can I have a vault for each of us and keep accounts separate.
  2. If I buy the bundle will I be able to sync across platforms? I could survive if I only have the Apple devices in sync. Just thinking about purchasing the Windows version just in case since it's on sale.
  3. Does 1Password back up when the iOS devices are backed-up to iCloud and my Mac hard drive using iTunes and ultimately to an external drive with TimeMachine. My understanding here is that the syncing is different from backing up. I'm really paranoid when it comes to losing data. I've been burned by some unstable iOS apps.
  4. If I go with the version from AgileBits site, can I use Dropbox and WiFi (or iCloud and WiFi with Apps store version) or can only one method be used at a time.
  5. Since it has been noted that there is a difference on your website, in general/on average, how long does it take for Apple to release updates after they are released by Agilebits?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
D.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

First. Let's be sure you know that using the iOS version is free in its basic form, but will require an in-app purchase to activate the more advanced Pro features. That will be entirely separate from your desktop licenses, since licenses are sold by user and by platform.

1. I'm not the best person to help you understand vaults, but I can say that if you want access to your parents' data, you can create separate vaults for each of them. Or one for both, if that's sufficient. Will your parents need to use those vaults, or will you be the only one actually accessing the data?

2. If you buy the Mac-Windows bundle, you will be able to sync among all installations (Mac, Windows, and iOS) via Dropbox. iCloud is only available if you buy from the Mac App Store, which means that adding Windows to the mix means iCloud won't work to keep everything coordinated.

3. I'm not sure I entirely understand your backup questions, but each desktop installation regularly creates local backups of the data on your hard drive. Those backups will be backed up further to Time Machine on your Macs. If you have a backup solution for your Windows box, the local backups would be backed up to whatever that is. It seems that you do understand that backing up your data for iOS requires action by the user to back up the data to iTunes. iTunes itself will be backed up to Time Machine. But in your case, I don't personally think backing up to iTunes would be necessary. Your desktop machines will always have authoritative backups, and you can let your syncing solution handle keeping iOS versions up to date.

4. If you buy from AgileBits for your desktop machines, you will not be able to use iCloud at all for syncing, since iCloud syncing is only available to apps sold by Apple. You may use WiFi or Dropbox, but WiFi syncing is meant to use one Mac or PC as sever to sync to multiple iOS installations. It can only work reliably among multiple desktop installations with Folder sync. That's described in the User Guides on the AgileBits support site (support.agilebits.com).

5. The only delay in release for the App Store version is because Apple reviews application before they are allowed on the App Store. AgileBits releases to their web site when the new versions are ready, without further review by another party. That delay usually is brief, only a matter of a few days or a week. This timing difference seems trivial to me and not a valid basis for deciding where to buy your license. But others may disagree, and if that will irritate you enough, then the Agileabits web store is where you should buy.

I may not have addressed all your questions. Be sure to post back for clarification or additional questions. Someone will be along to answer them.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @CraftyDiva,

So hawkmoth has written a fair amount there which I hope helps somewhat. I'll be adding a bit here and there where something has popped to the surface of my thoughts :smile:

1. Secondary vaults do mean you can have a vault or vaults for your parents that you too can access without you supplying access to your own primary vault. If you want them to have individual vaults that's fine. What won't work is if you want multiple people to be able to access a single copy of 1Password from one user account on a Mac. If it's a single Mac and they have individual OS X user accounts that's a different matter and completely fine. The only scenario it breaks down is if people are trying to share a single OS X user account.
    2. I think hawkmoth said as much as can be said here. If you have any follow up questions please do ask.
    3. The 1Password for iOS user data is backed up when you backup to either iCloud or iTunes. Now sadly we have had instances where the data is not restored but we don't understand why this happens as it's all to do with Apple's restoration process. Sometimes users find restoring a second time results in a proper restoration. You're quite correct, syncing is different from backing up. If you backup your Mac using the likes of Time Machine then you should be aware that means the automated backups 1Password for Mac makes are being backed up and that's probably your best safety net. In theory thought the iCloud backup should work, it's just occasionally reality decides to state otherwise :|
    4. Wi-Fi Sync can be used on conjunction with other sync methods but it's really only meant to be used with Folder Sync. Between the two Mac to iOS local sync and Mac to Mac local sync are covered. If you're using iCloud or Dropbox you're best fully committing to it and using just it.
    5. Sometimes differences are because of changes to very specific AgileBits Store only functionality too. For example, 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 are changes we made to allow people to purchase the AgileBits Store directly from within 1Password for Mac. As this will never apply to the Mac App Store version there was nothing to upload to Apple. We try to ensure that anything applies to one location is available in both at the same time.

If you do have any follow up questions at all please do ask :smile:

• CraftyDiva
    CraftyDiva
    Community Member
    Options

Hawkmoth and LittleBobbyTables,
    Thank you very much for your responses. They have been most helpful.

With respect to each question:
    1. I would be the only one accessing all data in 1Password. Neither parent is interested in learning the computer and I pay the bills and handle any of their info on the net. I was thinking overnight that if I had separate vaults I'd also need to remember 3 distinct master passwords. I'm going to have enough trouble creating and remembering one. Can I have one vault and somehow have separate areas within one vault to manage the separate accounts for them?
    2. I think I'm okay on this one. I've been reading through some of the posts here and the responses and it appears that you guys give step by step instructions if I do have an issue. But I have to admit, reconfiguring, deleting, and reinstalling anything makes me nervous.
    3. Between syncing and backing up, I should be okay. Just to make sure I understand: Using the App store version with iCloud will keep all Apple devices in sync automatically the same as how pics and contacts update automatically when I'm connected to WiFi. Using the Agile Store version will require me to manually sync all devices (Mac, IOS and Windows) via Dropbox to make sure they are the same. I have never used Dropbox.
    4. Sounds like the bundle and Dropbox will have to be my option if I continue to use my Windows laptop. I have to determine if I can live without accessing the internet on that device.
    5. Great. Got it.

Additional Questions:
    1. Can you open 1Password to see the password and type it into the webpage if I'm not using one of my own computers?
    2. Is 1Password changing the password periodically or only when prompted by me. Do you recommend changing my passwords periodically once I have 1Password all set up.
    3. With the way Apple has made the sign-in to the laptop the same as the iTunes account sign-in, is it possible to use 1Password with iTunes?

Sorry to be such a bother. I've been researching this Software all weekend and just found the forum last night.

Thanks again
    D.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CraftyDiva,

To follow up on the original questions:

1. I would be the only one accessing all data in 1Password. Neither parent is interested in learning the computer and I pay the bills and handle any of their info on the net. I was thinking overnight that if I had separate vaults I'd also need to remember 3 distinct master passwords. I'm going to have enough trouble creating and remembering one. Can I have one vault and somehow have separate areas within one vault to manage the separate accounts for them?

Yes - you could keep all your data and your parents' data in the same vault, and organize their data using Folders and/or Tags. This wouldn't keep their data as separate from your own data as multiple vaults would, but it's certainly an option for organization within the same vault.

3. Between syncing and backing up, I should be okay. Just to make sure I understand: Using the App store version with iCloud will keep all Apple devices in sync automatically the same as how pics and contacts update automatically when I'm connected to WiFi. Using the Agile Store version will require me to manually sync all devices (Mac, IOS and Windows) via Dropbox to make sure they are the same. I have never used Dropbox.

Well, not exactly - once you set up iCloud or Dropbox sync, your 1Password data will sync automatically via either option. The main difference for you would be that Dropbox takes a few more steps to set up the first time, since you've never used Dropbox before (you would need to install the Dropbox app and sign up for a Dropbox account (which is free) before enabling Dropbox sync in 1Password). iCloud sync is a little easier because you already have an account, and it's already built into Mac and iOS (but you wouldn't be able to use iCloud sync with 1Password for Windows).

4. Sounds like the bundle and Dropbox will have to be my option if I continue to use my Windows laptop. I have to determine if I can live without accessing the internet on that device.

If you want to sync your 1Password data between Mac, iOS, and Windows, then yes, Dropbox sync (and the Mac/Windows bundle license from the AgileBits Store) is your best option. On the other hand, if you decide you don't need to use 1Password on Windows, you might want to get the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac, because that will allow you to use iCloud sync with 1Password 5 for iOS.

As for your additional questions:

1. Can you open 1Password to see the password and type it into the webpage if I'm not using one of my own computers?

Do you mean you want to view your data in 1Password for iOS (for example) so you can type a password into a website on a different computer where you don't have 1Password installed? If so, then yes, absolutely!

2. Is 1Password changing the password periodically or only when prompted by me. Do you recommend changing my passwords periodically once I have 1Password all set up.

1Password never changes any of your passwords for you. It can help to generate new passwords that you can use for website logins if you want, but you would still need to go through the steps on a website to change your password. This site may be helpful: How to change a password for a site saved in 1Password (AwesomeKB)
    https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/

3. With the way Apple has made the sign-in to the laptop the same as the iTunes account sign-in, is it possible to use 1Password with iTunes?

Do you mean you would like to use 1Password to fill your iTunes password when signing into the iTunes store? 1Password can't do that automatically, but if you've saved your iTunes password in 1Password, you can easily copy & paste it from 1Password into iTunes.

I hope that helps, but we're here for you if you have more questions! :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

@CraftyDiva - I have one more comment about the option for multiple vaults. Two, actually.

One is that if your data are all kept in the primary vault and your parents' data are in a secondary vault, whenever you open the primary vault, the secondary vault will also open automatically. Furthermore, if separate vaults end up sounding better than folders and labels, it is possible to use the same master password for both the primary and secondary vaults. Normally that would not be recommended, but I, at least, can't think of any reason it wouldn't do for your situation. I should add that if you do keep separate passwords for the two vaults, you can open the secondary vault by itself with its master password, without opening the primary vault.

Second, if you do adopt a secondary vault, iCloud will only sync your primary vault. It doesn't handle secondary vaults at all, so that will mean Dropbox would have to be your choice for syncing. But I wouldn't suggest being reluctant to use Dropbox. It actually is really simple to set up and forget.

• CraftyDiva
    CraftyDiva
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for all your help.

I have purchased and downloaded (not installed) the bundle from the Agilebits Store. It seems to be the most flexible of the two purchase options. I also downloaded the Dropbox app from the Dropbox site. While going with the Apple App store version would have probably been the simplest route, I'm a firm believer in not having all your eggs in one basket. To that end, I will give Dropbox a try.

I will spend a day or two reading the manuals for 1Password and browsing the forum. If there are any forum postings with setup suggestions or "how to" info please point me in the right direction.

Again...Thanks for all your help and your patience.
    D.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

While going with the Apple App store version would have probably been the simplest route, I'm a firm believer in not having all your eggs in one basket. To that end, I will give Dropbox a try.

@CraftyDiva: Indeed, iCloud tends to be simplest, but I prefer Dropbox because it's more flexible (supported platforms and apps). Ultimately though it's just a matter of personal preference.

I have purchased and downloaded (not installed) the bundle from the Agilebits Store. It seems to be the most flexible of the two purchase options.

One key benefit is upgrade discounts, but we appreciate your support no matter what the source. Thank you! :love:

I will spend a day or two reading the manuals for 1Password and browsing the forum. If there are any forum postings with setup suggestions or "how to" info please point me in the right direction.

A good place to start is our user guides and knowledgebase:

Got a question about 1Password?

There's a lot there, so a good starting point would be the user guide for your platform of choice, and then just ask us questions as they arise. We're always here to help! :chuffed:

Again...Thanks for all your help and your patience.

You're most welcome. That's what we're here for! And we wouldn't be without the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers, so...you should thank yourself too! ;)

This discussion has been closed.