Can 1Password operate successfully on Kindle Fire HD?

Options
sthiemann
sthiemann
Community Member

Didn't see 1Password in the Amazon app store for Kindle Fire, so I did a "side load" of the app via .apk file I copied over from my Android cell phone. The program installs ok, but is not decrypting my master password. Incidentally, I had to elect WiFi sync, since the service for syncing via dropbox was unavailable on my Kindle. Do you have any experience using the 1Password on Kindle?

1Password Version: 4.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android Kindle Fire
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:Using 1Password on Kindle Fire HD (or should I say, trying to use ...)

Comments

• Thanks so much for your interest in 1Password. 1Password 4 for Android is not yet supported on Kindle devices.

1Password 4 has been developed for and tested on variety of devices that natively run Android OS. Fire OS has its differences from Android OS, and is not a perfectly accurate environment; therefore, 1Password will not work as intended. We will do what we can to improve usability in future updates, but there are certain things we can't control at the moment: for example, the implementation of the accessibility service and the in-app purchase will not allow Kindle customers to unlock the premium features. This release is not intended for Kindle devices, and if we are to support Kindle, it will be through a separate release.

With that said, we don't have any immediate plans to natively support Kindle devices at the moment, but I will pass on your vote for the request. Thanks. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• TheDetective
    TheDetective
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I would just like to chime in that I would like to see 1Password for Fire as well. By the way, I just tried side loading it on my Fire HD 6 tablet, and as far as I can tell, everything works except for the filling features of the keyboard.

• saad
    Options

Thanks for your :+1:. Great to hear most functionalities are working on your Kindle Fire!

• chrisaal
    chrisaal
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

+1
    I already use 1password on a Mac , Windows and iOS.
    With Amazon recently shipping Fire 7" tablets for less than $50, I added two of those to serve as "a tablet in every room" browsing/shopping opportunity and I don't want to store my passwords in Silk (that's why I bought a password manager in the first place instead of storing passwords in every platform's browser)

• Thanks, @chrisaal. That sounds like an excellent deal. I'll have to look into that. :)

I'll go ahead and add your vote for Fire support, as well! Let us know if you need anything else!

• kevirving
    kevirving
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I'd just like to add another vote for supporting 1Password on the Kindle Fire platform. I'll give the Android beta a try, and take on board the warnings of potential issues. I currently run 1Password on PC, Mac and iOS, and would love to be able to use it as the solution to all devices.

Keep the good work up.

• I'll certainly add your vote for Fire OS support, @kevirving. :)

That said, we've recently switched to Google Play for beta distribution, which means the APK that has been available through HockeyApp will be expiring soon. In order to install the beta version of 1Password on Android, you'll need Play Store services.

Let us know if you need anything else!

• sysadmkc
    sysadmkc
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for 1Password on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX! I'm in the process of moving from mSecure to 1Password and would like to run it on all my devices as well.

• Thanks for the :+1:, @sysadmkc. I'll pass your feedback along!

• nhbnyc
    nhbnyc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi -- I'd like to add my vote to support for 1P on Fire OS. I currently use 1P on a Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android Tablet and would love to use 1P on my Kindle Fire as well!

• peri
    Options

Thanks for adding your vote, @nhbnyc! :)

• RJMS
    RJMS
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Here's another one requesting I be able to use 1Password on my Kindle Fire HD. I have 1Password 4 Reader on it, and that works but I would love to have more of the full version 6 features available on it.

• peri
    Options

I hear you, @RJMS. I'll add your vote as well. :)

• bh444
    bh444
    Community Member
    Options

Add a vote for me. I am going to have to get a different password manager for my Kindle Fire after my 4.x APK beta version expired. And I just switched everything (8 other devices) to OPVault and now I can't even use 1passwordanywhere. I knew that 1password didn't support FireOS so that isn't your fault but if I ever have to type in my 50 character randomly generated gmail password, the device will become a total brick.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @bh444. :)

• mandolinda
    mandolinda
    Community Member
    Options

Two votes here.Just bought a new 10" kindle fire hd for my mom for mothers day... I can never teach her a new password manager!! Besides, I love 1 password and agilebits... that's why I've been a customer since 2008...

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the :+1: :+1: @mandolinda. :)

• NLJones
    NLJones
    Community Member
    Options

Me too! Love 1P on my Mac and Droid...be great to have it in my Kindle Fire when I'm traveling!

• saad
    Options

Thank you for sharing your interest in seeing support for Kindle devices as well. :)

• Philippe23
    Philippe23
    Community Member
    Options

Does 1Password for Families/Teams work on Kindle Fire devices (at least unofficially) via web-browser? Or is Silk not covered by the "Web Browser" statements?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Philippe23: It definitely isn't something we support officially, and my understanding of Silk is that it simply may not work for technological reasons...but there's absolutely no harm in trying it. You'll have 30 days to test drive 1Password Families (or Teams) with as many devices and browsers as you wish. But I suspect that Silk may have problems with the secure connection and WebCrypto standards that 1Password.com depends on.

This discussion has been closed.