How to re-install 1 password on a Mac

Options
studio
studio
Community Member

HI,

Following the loss of the master password I have to reinstall 1 Password and set it up.

To remove the old version - I have:

Deleted 1 Password it from my iMac.
Gone to the App store and restored my purchase
Open the Finder and select Go > Go to folder from the menubar.

Deleted the folder “2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper”.

Now when I restart 1Password I get a web page with Awesome lets get started when I click it nothing happens. When I go to the file menu in 1 password I cant select anything from file->new.

Why is it so difficult to restart ???

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @studio,

I'm sorry you're having trouble starting over with an empty vault in 1Password! It sounds like you tried following the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

Now, those steps don't require you to delete the 1Password app from your Mac, but that also shouldn't have caused a problem, so I'm not sure why nothing happens after clicking the "Awesome! Let's Get Started" button. What happens if you go to the menu for Window > 1Password? That should normally open the main window, but I don't know if that will work in this situation or not.

If not, please try rebooting your Mac. After it restarts, try opening the main 1Password app again (which I'm assuming is in the Applications folder). Does the same thing happen this time? If not, what happens instead?

Please let us know how it goes, and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• studio
    studio
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Ok
    Restarted the mac
    Launched 1Password from the Applications folder
    Web interface comes up
    Click Awesome
    Faced with the 1Password interface which states "Enter Your Master Password"
    No opportunity to create another vault

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

It sounds to me as if you didn't follow exactly the directions in the link @Drew_AG put in his reply. You might give those directions another look. If you are being asked for a master password immediately after launching, your old data are still somewhere on your system.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@studio: Indeed, be sure to follow each and every step, and if you get stuck on one (unable to proceed, error, etc.) be sure to let us know and we'll be happy to guide you toward a resolution. Please let us know how it turns out! :)

• studio
    studio
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks as an IT consultant of some years experience, I accept that the data may still be residing on the computer somewhere. However where am I to start looking.

The data was stored on iCloud and to my mind no where else.

I look forward to a speedy and helpful response.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @studio,

In 1Password 4 and 5, your data is always stored locally (in a default location), in addition to any sync location that you might select. (One of the reasons for this change was that with version 3 we saw too many users who would inadvertently move or delete their .agilekeychain file ... and in so doing lose their entire database.)

The instructions that Drew linked to include the file path for both the Mac App Store and the AgileBits Store versions' data location. If you followed the instructions for the version that you currently use and 1Password is still finding some data somewhere, it might be worthwhile to look in the location used by the other version of 1Password, to see if there's any old data stored there for some reason.

If that doesn't solve things for you, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac so we can take a closer look at your system:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• studio
    studio
    Community Member
    Options

VHK-79637-779 Many thanks

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @studio,

Thank you for the ticket ID, that really does help track down your email. Somebody will be in touch soon :smile: As we'll now be conversing via email I'm going to go ahead and close this thread but if you have any further questions or issues please do post.

ref: VHK-79637-779

This discussion has been closed.