What is this business with Opera code signature not verified.

Options
DoctorDan
DoctorDan
Community Member

I have no doubt that 1PW has detected something that it thinks is a security risk but just telling me that the code signature cannot be verified and therefore 1PW is disabling form filling doesn't really do me much good. Just referring to generic troubleshooting info is unlikely to resolve this problem . The least you could do is leave me in control by informing me of whatever it is that has been detected and giving me the option to leave form-filling enabled, or disable it as recommended. Also more detailed error messages, like exactly what exception occurred that triggered the message would be real helpful.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit grumpy but I've spent the whole morning fighting another inexplicable situation (software that works one day but not the next, even though there have been no configuration changes) with paypal.

I hope that there is some straightforward explanation or fix to this code signature issue because I would really like to spend some time using my computer instead of repairing it. It reminds me of cars circa 1905 where you had to take a mechanic along on a trip of more than 5 miles and could expect to make at least one unexpected stop along the way to fix something that broke.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DoctorDan,

I'm sorry you're having trouble trying to solve a problem using 1Password with Opera!

I agree, it would be great if the “code signature could not be verified” message could give you more specific details about what caused the error and how to fix it. However, the problem is that there are various things that can cause that issue to happen, and 1Password isn't necessarily able to determine that cause. I'm sorry that's been causing so much frustration for you!

Luckily, this sort of issue is often easy to solve. Please take a look at this knowledgebase article: How to resolve “code signature could not be verified” (Mac)

The suggestions there are usually enough to get things working again, but if they don't help, we'll need to know some additional information:

Once we know more details about your setup, we should have a much better idea of how to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks in advance! :)

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. I did the following:

• updated Chrome
    • rebooted

Except for Chrome, I was on the latest version of everything and 1PW came from your store.,

The Opera Extensions page says:
    1Password Beta
    Version 4.4.4.1

I just installed it today from your extensions URL

In Opera, 1PW still won't fill the password field but it did not complain about a code signature issue. It works correctly in Firefox.

So I don't know....

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @DoctorDan,

It might sound pedantic but the latest version may merely mean the latest compatible version for your Mac and not the latest version e.g. Mavericks (OS X 10.9) is unable to run 1Password 5 as it requires Yosemite (OS X 10.10). We have plenty of users that refuse to use Yosemite so we try to avoid assuming what version a person is running.

I downloaded and installed Opera and I found that after installing the 1Password Chromium Extension I then had to enable it as Opera disabled it by default. It did pop up a small banner warning me of this and then I had to follow it up with a reboot of Opera for the plugin to fully work. At that point though I was able to use the extension to fill Amazon's log in page so everything seemed to be working. As such I have a few questions.

1. Which version of 1Password are you running?
    2. Does the 1Password mini menu appear if you click the 1Password extension icon in Opera?
    3. If it does are you saying that filling a Login page via the extension isn't working or if this isn't how you normally ask 1Password to fill what is your normal approach? Is it a keyboard shortcut or do you use open and fill by clicking on a URL from within the main 1Password window?

What I feel confident in saying is it should work, now we need to determine why our experiences differ and one way is to ensure we're testing the same versions and using the software in the same way. Hopefully we'll identify the cause and get it resolved :smile:

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

Yosemite 10.10.5
    1PW 5.3.2
    Opera 31.0.1889.174

The 1PW menu appears in Opera when clicking the icon

The PayPal scenario is typical of how I use it:
    1 - Open the URL
    2 - Click the 1PW icon
    3 - 1PW recognizes the URL and displays my available \logins on its menu
    3 - I click the one I want
    5 - 1PW fills in the name and password fields
    6 - Some are set (apparently) to auto-submit, on others I click a submit button

I have never used a keyboard shortcut.

As I have been composing this message I have been repeatedly poking Opera and the PayPal page. When I started, 1PW was not filling the password field. After muck non-specific mucking around it is now working. I have no idea why, but I'm glad it's working now.

Unless all of this gives you a clue about some some peculiarity in 1PW, it looks like the Mac environment is the source of the trouble. Additional evidence for this is the fact that, for about three days, non of my Macs could successfully log on to PayPal (any browser) while the Windows machines had no problem at all.

Thanks for your help and concern.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @DoctorDan,

If you're seeing some quirky behaviour, especially if anything about it is intermittent then sometimes it's worth seeing if a simple reboot of your Mac and clearing of caches helps at all. At the very least it seems Opera isn't suffering the issue regarding browser signature as you wouldn't be able to open 1Password mini at all.

If you continue to have trouble with a particular login please do let us know. Something worth checking with PayPal might be if you have other extensions as I'm sure I've heard of things like FlashBlock or AdBlock possibly interfering. We might be able to narrow down the cause at least :smile:

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

yes, thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DoctorDan, I'm happy to hear it's working correctly for you now! Hopefully it continues to work perfectly, but if you do run into other issues with 1Password, please let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.