iPod broken. Help!!

Options

Hey guys. I'm pretty sure my iPod is broken as I can't boot it and sadly I didn't back up my information on 1Password before this happened. Is there any other possible way to recover my information? I have tons of stuff on there and I'm honestly lost without it. Please help! :(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ashleyneedshelp: If what you say is true, then the answer is no. (Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'recover' for you to help directly.

However, at the risk of giving you false hope, a trip to the Apple Store may prove fruitful if you really don't have your data backed up anywhere else. It may be that the battery or some other 'minor' component died, and in that case getting it repaired would allow you to access your data again — and then you can back it up!

But if it's the drive itself in your iPod that has died, it is likely that no data will be recoverable except by heroic (and possibly prohibitively expensive) data recovery services. In any case, I'm afraid there won't be much we can do to help you, but taking it to Apple at least offers a possibility. That said, if you are able to get your data off of the iPod somehow, we'll do whatever we can to help you get back up and running with 1Password. Please let me know how it turns out!

• ashleyneedshelp
    ashleyneedshelp
    Community Member
    Options

Hey. Thanks Brenty.. Unfortunately there is no official Apple Store where I'm located which sounds odd.. but it's true. Is it possible to get the data off of my iPod myself and then send it to you guys? I guess that's really my only hope.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ashleyneedshelp,

I'm from a smaller town, so I certainly understand that sometimes there's just not an Apple Store around when you need one!

Unfortunately, without knowing what happened to your device, it's difficult to give any suggestions for how you might get the data off. I would suggest contacting Apple's customer care and explaining the situation. They will be much more familiar with troubleshooting on the device, and there might be an option to send the broken iPod in for repair or at least assessment.

I've got my fingers crossed that they are able to help you out!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ashleyneedshelp: I'll also add that I was in a similar situation until moving to a (horribly) large city recently. Back home, we did have a reputable Apple reseller that was authorized to do repairs, but ultimately 'authorized' is only a concern if your device is within warranty. If not, simply taking it to a local repair shop you trust will be the way to go. But as Megan suggested, calling Apple would be a good place to start, as they should at the very least be able to point you in the right direction. :)

• ashleyneedshelp
    ashleyneedshelp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks guys, I'll definitely try your suggestions.
    @Megan The thing is, I don't live in a small town.. I live on an island LOL so it's not really that easy specifically shipping wise to get it back to any apple store and I also don't have Apple Care even in case I was given an opportunity to return it. I'll give someone a call here and see how it goes. Thanks guys.

My problem is that my iPod randomly started rebooting by itself but would always come back on. I was also using a half broken charger which was not an official Apple charger. Then I realized that when I tried to restart my iPod, it wouldn't restart and it kept flashing the Apple logo (while plugged in) so I googled solutions and realized that most of them were saying to go into DFU mode, so I tried this.. but nothing changed. I borrowed a new charger from my aunt and when I tried it, it continued to flash the Apple logo. When I unplug it and try to turn it on, it flashes the empty battery logo and tells me to plug it in. So I'm not sure what this problem is and I'm not really sure what to do or where to turn but I'll give someone a call and see where I can go from there. Luckily I've been blessed with an amazing boyfriend who decided to replace my iPod but sadly I saved tons of information on it and a lot of poems with tons of sentimental value so I'll probably be upset about this forever. I wish I could access my saved information in 1Password online.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I borrowed a new charger from my aunt and when I tried it, it continued to flash the Apple logo. When I unplug it and try to turn it on, it flashes the empty battery logo and tells me to plug it in.

@ashleyneedshelp: To me this sounds like the drive inside might be dead. I had an iPod go like that as well. But I do hope that I'm wrong about this (or about which piece of hardware it is) and that someone nearby is able to help.

Luckily I've been blessed with an amazing boyfriend who decided to replace my iPod but sadly I saved tons of information on it and a lot of poems with tons of sentimental value so I'll probably be upset about this forever.

Bittersweet, and make no mistake. I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this. :cry:

I still lament (I'm not sure that there is a better word for it) losing some music I'd created in a hardware disaster probably 20 years ago now. I can't ever get that back. My only consolation (and I hope yours as well) is that I'll continue to make more, and I backup everything now (perhaps more than is reasonable) to make sure that I'm never in that situation again. Whatever the outcome, I wish the same for you. :blush:

• ashleyneedshelp
    ashleyneedshelp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty!! Words of encouragement I can honestly say that I truly needed. I will still try everything in my might to recover the iPod's information and if all is lost then so be it but I won't let it get me down forever just like you didn't. Yep! Learned my lesson now, going to back up every single day now because I will be MAJOR paranoid. It was really nice finding a forum with people who were so willing to help and were quick with replies, I really appreciate it. Will let you know the outcome! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ashleyneedshelp,

My fingers are still crossed in the hopes that you can recover some of that data! It's unfortunate that so many people don't learn that "be paranoid and backup all the things" lesson until something awful happens. I'll admit, I've been a bit lax with some things in the past as well ... in fact, it's probably time to run a backup on all of the iDevices, now that I think of it!

Please do let us know how things work out!

• ashleyneedshelp
    ashleyneedshelp
    Community Member
    Options

Got my new iPod today and restored from iCloud but I didn't back up 1password to iCloud so I tried it on my computer. When I restore from the computer, I was able to get back EVERYTHING!! The app re-downloaded and ALLLL of my notes were in it. I am BEYOND ecstatic. Words cannot explain how excited and happy I am. From now on I will do my best and try to back up every week or so, especially after I put very important information on my iPod. Once again, thank you guys SO much for everything and replying to me! Great forum with great people. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When I restore from the computer, I was able to get back EVERYTHING!! The app re-downloaded and ALLLL of my notes were in it. I am BEYOND ecstatic. Words cannot explain how excited and happy I am.

@ashleyneedshelp: I too have experienced this special kind of joy, and am thrilled to hear that you were able to restore your data! :lol:

Once again, thank you guys SO much for everything and replying to me! Great forum with great people. :)

You're most welcome! There's a really great community here, so we can't take all the credit. Be sure to let us know if you need anything else. We're here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.