Master password doesn't work when typing fast

Options

Hello,

recently, I discovered that 1P for Windows does not accept my master password if I type it too fast.
At first, I thought I entered it wrong, but I specifically check my keystrokes now and can reproduce that it doesn't work when typing too fast. The problem does not occur on a Mac, no matter how fast I type (and I've pretty good muscle memory for my master password now).

To confirm, I also let others type in the password and the same behavior occured for them. It's really strange. I use 1P for Windows 4.6.0.585 with Secure Desktop enabled.

Does anybody else have that problem?

Cheers,
Martin

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @melb00m - I'm having a hard time reproducing this as if I type fast I have no way of checking that I am typing correctly. How are you checking this? Thanks.

• melb00m
    melb00m
    Community Member
    Options

@LauraR Thanks for your input. It's hard to reproduce directly, of course. But as I said, I tried numerous times watching the keystrokes of my fingers on the keyboard. I also typed the password the same way in Notepad as I would in the unlock window. Also, as I said, I let my coworkers try and they experienced the same. We're all computer scientists, so we're used to typing with only few mistakes.

It's not a full proof, maybe, but quite some evidence that there might be something wrong.

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @melb00m,

What about unlocking on the regular desktop, does it show the same problem? You can cancel the secure desktop prompt by pressing the ESC key.

I am not able to reproduce this on my computers yet.

• melb00m
    melb00m
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @MikeT,

I didn't try that yet, as I don't really want to type my master password in on a non-secure Desktop. I might create another Vault and will report back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@melb00m: Using a test vault is a great idea! Please let us know what you find. Ultimately, we won't be able to fix any issues that are limited to Secure Desktop, as this is a Microsoft technology, though it's certainly of interest if there is a problem there.

But I will also add that the non-Secure regular desktop is fine so long as you haven't installed malicious software that's monitoring your input. And of course if that were the case, they wouldn't need your Master Password anyway, since they could just wait patiently for you to decrypt and access data. And of course in any event they'd already have it from when you typed it in Notepad... :dizzy:

• melb00m
    melb00m
    Community Member
    Options

You're right about the notepad thing. In hindsight, that might not have been the smartest idea...

I tried it couple times now not using the Secure Desktop, and I have no problems there. Always works on the first attempt, while in Secure Desktop, on average it might accept the second to third attempt. It's really annoying.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@melb00m: To be clear, unless your system is compromised, to harm should come of using a scratchpad. It just isn't a habit I would want to get into. :)

I'm sorry about your Secure Desktop troubles. A few other customers (and, well...the internet) have also experienced issues with this, but since its sole purpose is to not allow tampering, there won't be much we can do about it as 3rd party developers. :(

This discussion has been closed.