importing .ipif files to 1password5

Options
JodyR
JodyR
Community Member

I am trying to import .1pif files from my staff into my 1password 5 and it isn't working. i get nohting. I can highlight the file but when I select 'open' nothing happens. I run on a mac and my staff was on a PC. I don't know the version of the 1password the staff was running. they would have purchased 9/2013...

also, originally i tried this to import onto my 1password 3 version but that didn't work either... it didn't recognize the file. so I was advised in this forum to uninstall and reinstall 1password3. ultimately I had some sync issues with my ipad and iphone so I decided to move to 1password5 which I ahve just installed this mroning. now trying to get those some logins exported by the staff, into my computer.

please advise.

i'm running MacBook Air, OSX v10.10.1

thanks

1Password Version: 5.3 from the Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.4.3 for firefox
OS Version: OS X 10.10.1
Sync Type: will be iclooud - haven't gotten there yet

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @JodyR,

Use the File > Import menu item from within 1Password to open a file. The File Format at the bottom of the dialog should be set to 1Password Interchange Format (.1pif), which is the default.

Did this 1PIF come from an old Windows 1Password?

• JodyR
    JodyR
    Community Member
    Options

that is what I did and when I hit open nothing happens. the .1pif file to be imported comes from a windows version purchased 9/2013... (don't know the actual version name)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options

@JodyR,

Ok, please see this thread. I worked with another user to analyze the issue, and wrote a converter to resolve the issue.

• JodyR
    JodyR
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for your help. I need to work with a client now but will be back to this late tongiht. i did look at that thread and don't undestand most of it.... but i'll try again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JodyR,

You're right, there is a lot of technical detail in that thread, but the short version is that there may be some difference in how 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac handle imports. Before we go too much further though, I'd just like to get a better idea of your set-up, in particular why you're importing instead of simply sharing a vault with your staff.

1Password 5 for Mac has a Multiple Vaults feature that allows you to share data with your team securely. A vault with all your team's data that you can all access and update as necessary might be a better solution than importing the .1pif file? (Full disclosure, 1Password for Windows handles 'multiple' vaults differently than Mac and iOS at this time, but it's a simple matter to switch between vaults using the File > Open data file menu option in 1Password for Windows.)

Please let me know if you'd like to learn more about this solution. If you'd prefer to move forward with the .1pif import, we'll be more than happy to help there as well.

• JodyR
    JodyR
    Community Member
    Options

well my staff person resigned but exported the .1pif files for all the applicable logins. who knew it would be so tough to actually get access to them. so I really need to do the .1pif import.

in future, I now have version 5 for Mac so can do the share thing on an ongong basis - great feature! but that doesn't help me iwth the existing situation with the person already gone

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @JodyR,

I apologise for the issues you're having and I suspect we've missed the actual issue and that your 1PIF file is actually fine.

We have a rather dumb bug that is fixed in the beta version of our software but not yet in the stable (it's awaiting the next release). The dumb bug is 1Password won't react if you try and click either the Cancel or Open buttons but it will react if you use the keyboard. You can use the escape key as an alternative for clicking Cancel and the enter key as the alternative for clicking the Open button.

Have I stumbled upon the real issue or am I merely causing noise?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I'll be happy to work with you to get the import completed. It might take a little back and forth, and I want to be sure any information we pass does not include any of your confidential data. I'm out of the office right now, but will reply when I return. If you can indicate when you're generally available, I'll try to accommodate your schedule and needs.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options

Ah, what littlebobbytables said!

edit: I'd completely forgotten about the import dialog bug, and didn't pick up on the cues here. Oops.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JodyR, I had the same thought as littlebobbytables, so hopefully this turns out to be a simple case of pressing the Enter or Return key if the Open button doesn't seem to work. But if it turns out to be a more difficult issue than that, we'll be happy to help! Let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.