1Password helper doesn't work in Chrome and Firefox

Options
suzukida
suzukida
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I'm a big fan of 1Password. However, 1Password helper doesn't work correctly in my work PC. Even if I push the button in the browsers, the pop-up menu doesn't come. I've tried followings:

• Restart 1Password helper
  • Uncheck "Verify web browser code signature"
  • Unblock port 6263, 10196, 14826, 24866, 25012, 38156, 46365, 49806, 55735 and 59488 in firewall
  • Reinstall 1Password helper

Could you give me an advice?
Chrome: 45.0.2454.85 m
Firefox: 40.0.03

Best regards,

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: Win7 Pro SP1 (64bit)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:diagnostics

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@suzukida: It definitely works, or I'd have the same issue. As mentioned in the knowledgebase article you seem to be referencing, 'security' software and other extensions can also block the connection between the 1Password Helper and extensions.

Unless 1Password can validate the browser, it will refuse to communicate with the extension. You can disable Code Signature Verification, but a better option is to stop whatever is preventing 1Password from doing its job in the first place. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• suzukida
    suzukida
    Community Member
    Options

brenty,

Thanks for advice. However, I still need your help.

I'm using AVG AntiVirus free 2015 for security. I additionally tried followings:
    - Add exception 127.0.0.1 for LinkScanner (AVG)
    - Disable Surf shield in LinkScanner (AVG)
    - Enable "Verify web browser code signature" (1Password)
    - Add 1Password4 with port 6263 for exception (Firewall)
    - Add Bonjour with port 5353 for exception (Firewall)

I've rebooted my PC for each changing, but so far, the situation is same...
    Any ideas?

Best regards,

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @suzukida,

I think the first thing to do is determine if it is indeed AVG, it might be we're looking at the wrong area. Is it possible to temporarily disable AVG and see if it makes any difference? If you're concerned at all you could disconnect from the internet while you do so and of course I'm not suggesting you leave it disabled at all, merely for testing purposes only.

Do you have anything else that might be interfering at the network level? examples of software that could affect do include proxies, VPNs, parental control software, third party firewalls etc.

You should be able to ignore Bonjour as we only use that for Wi-Fi Sync.

Hopefully we can figure out what is blocking communication :smile:

Actually there is one thing I'm curious about, completely ignoring your browser for a moment, does 1Password react if you use the keyboard shortcut ctrl + alt + \ with no browser open?

• suzukida
    suzukida
    Community Member
    Options

Hello littlebobbytables,

Thanks for your support.
    In fact, AVG does not interfere from my point of view. See below my experiment:
    1. Boot Win7 up.
    2. Disable AVG.
    3. Launch Google Chrome.
    4. Push 1Password button in Chrome. -> Ignored.
    5. Kill Agile1pAgent.exe from Task manager.
    6. Launch Google Chrome.
    7. Push 1Password button in Chrome. -> "Looking for..." -> "Welcome"
    8. Push 1Password button in Chrome again. -> Ignored again.

BTW, I don't have any VPN, parental control software, and third party firewalls.

However, I've found an interesting workaround:
    1. Boot Win7 up. (with AVG active)
    2. Launch Google Chrome.
    3. Push 1Password button in Chrome. -> Ignored.
    4. Right click 1PW menu in task bar and choose "Unlock".
    5. The small 1PW window (for unlock) comes and then pop-up menu comes.
    6. Then, 1PW extension from Chrome works correctly.

The answer for your last question is: no, nothing happens.

Do you have any ideas?

Best regards,

• Out of interest: how long does it take until the Agile1pAgent.exe launch after booting? Can you reproduce the issue if you wait a couple of minutes before attempting this?

Do you use AVG's TuneUp software?

• macke
    macke
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also using AVG Antivirus free 2015 and Chrome on Windows 7 and I have no issues using the 1Password Chrome extension. However, I have not installed any of AVG's additional components (extensions, add-ons etc), I'm using just the core antivirus functionality.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@macke: Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm glad to hear that AVG and 1Password are able to peacefully coexist on your system! In many cases, this is this case, but of course how it is configured can make all the difference, so it may be that running 'AVG lite' as you describe helps. Cheers! :)

• suzukida
    suzukida
    Community Member
    Options

@AlexHoffmann:
    Hi. Thanks for asking.
    The Agile1pAgent.exe launches right after booting.
    Yes, the issue reproduces even if I wait 5 minutes after booting.
    No, I don't have AVG's TuneUp software.
    Best regards,

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @suzukida,

The next time you reboot, open the main 1Password program first without unlocking, and go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper.

Now, open Chrome, click on 1Password, does it prompt to unlock and then show you the 1Password menu?

• suzukida
    suzukida
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT,
    No, it doesn't. I've tried several times but it did't work.
    Best regards,

• This is really strange, @suzukida.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC, immediately after you've clicked on the 1Password extension icon in Chrome and reproduced the error:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• suzukida
    suzukida
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @AlexHoffmann,
    Thanks for your support.
    I've sent my Diagnostics Report. The support ID is [#RNJ-57265-824].
    Please check it out.
    Best regards,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@suzukida: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: RNJ-57265-824

This discussion has been closed.