El Capitan [1Password 5 is compatible, display glitches under investigation]

Options
mgarrett
mgarrett
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

Does version 5.3 of 1 Password run on the GM candidate for El Capitan?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud and dropbox for shared vaults
Referrer: forum-search:el capitan

Comments

• Hi @mgarrett,

Yes, 1Password 5.3 for Mac should be compatible with El Capitan and we are working on the upcoming 1Password 5.4 update that will be further optimized for El Capitan. The current plan is to have it out at the same time with El Capitan's release.

If you'd like, you can run the latest beta of 1Password 5.4 on El Capitan.

• mofsoft
    mofsoft
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 1Password v5.3.2 (532001) on OS X 10.11 El Capitan GM Candidate and am having some jittery display issues. Any one else seeing the 1Password window rapidly appear and disappear when dragging (i.e. a jittery/ghosting effect) it around the desktop? Is this perhaps due to the new snap window feature?

My 10.11 install is fresh with only El Capitan, Xcode 7 and 1Password installed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@mofsoft: We've had some reports of display issues on 10.11, but they haven't been consistent. We're continuing to investigate, but the best thing to do would be to use the beta version of 1Password as MikeT suggested above if you want the newest changes. Keep an eye out for updates! :)

• JoeBikes
    JoeBikes
    Community Member
    Options

Will 1password work when my MAC is upgraded to El Capitan? Will it be "seamless"?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Will 1password handle MAC's successor Yosemite = El Capitan? Will it be "seamless"?

• Hi @JoeBikes,

I've merged your post into this thread as it is the same question. 1Password will work fine on El Capitan when you upgrade to it.

When you upgrade to El Capitan, be sure to open the main 1Password program first before opening your browser, this will kickstart the 1Password mini which then ensures the 1Password extensions will work.

Some users reported a glitch when moving the 1Password window around, it would "snap" weirdly. This is a OS X bug that Apple hasn't fixed yet, I've seen it on other apps as well.

• mofsoft
    mofsoft
    Community Member
    Options

FYI... Guess the GM of El Capitan is the same as today's release (Sept 30 15) so I shouldn't expect anything different. But the v5.3.2 release of 1P on OS X 10.11 still exhibits the same weird window moving (Check out this 15 second screencast i recorded moments ago: screencast.com/t/c5oXEMIU8bqU running on a MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2015).

Previously I also tried the latest beta on the GM release and it still had the same issue.

@MikeT, you mentioned this is a known issue on OS X with other applications. 1Password is the only app that exhibits this behavior from my end. What other apps are you referring to?

Love love love 1P... just hope this annoying glitch gets resolved soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015
    Options

@MikeT, you mentioned this is a known issue on OS X with other applications. 1Password is the only app that exhibits this behavior from my end. What other apps are you referring to?

I can't speak for MikeT, but Safari did this during my one foray into the beta process this time around. Granted, an app having the jitters doesn't really affect usability, but it is a bit maddening. If that were the only issue I'd had I might have stuck it out til the end on my main Mac...but there were other things that were just broken, and ultimately I've got work to do (as I'm sure you do!)

FYI... Guess the GM of El Capitan is the same as today's release (Sept 30 15) so I shouldn't expect anything different. But the v5.3.2 release of 1P on OS X 10.11 still exhibits the same weird window moving (Check out this 15 second screencast i recorded moments ago: screencast.com/t/c5oXEMIU8bqU running on a MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2015).
    Previously I also tried the latest beta on the GM release and it still had the same issue.
    Love love love 1P... just hope this annoying glitch gets resolved soon.

Thank you for the kind words. That means a lot, especially considering your frustration with this! But I think that one thing that a lot of us can easily overlook (especially when it comes to OS X, which is more complex than iOS) is that while your GM install maybe have a matching build number to the final release, unless you installed a fresh copy of the GM, what you're using only superficially resembles the final build that someone uses to update from the last stable OS X release: you're carrying cruft and beta baggage through from the very first one you used. Of course it sounds like that may not be the case for you, but it is certainly common, especially since I'm not seeing this with Safari this time around either.

Of course we'll continue to investigate solutions or workarounds on our end, but it may ultimately be something quite apart from 1Password that is causing this for you and others.

• mofsoft
    mofsoft
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, after experiencing the stuttering behavior of 1P on 10.11 GM, I went back to a fresh clean copy of 10.10 Yosemite. So yesterday, when 10.11 was officially released, I went through a "normal" upgrade but was a bit disappointed that the same behavior still existed. 95% of my usage with 1P is via mini and the browser extensions so I can live with it. Truly a great product! I just thought the screencast would help the developers see what I am seeing and perhaps spark an idea on how to remedy it.

Take care :)

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mofsoft,

The screencast is helpful; thank you for sharing that with us! Glad to hear you enjoy 1Password otherwise, and we hope to be able to remedy this display issue in a future update. Cheers! :chuffed:

ref: OPM-2218

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mofsoft: Indeed! In my own experience I found that the jittering, while visually disorienting, didn't impact the actual movement of the window — even though it would sometimes appear that it did. So it should at least be usable while we try to find a way to put an end to this behaviour. Cheers! :)

• VK1
    VK1
    Community Member
    Options

I also look forward to see this bug removed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VK1: Indeed. It is a bit maddening when it occurs! We're on the case. Thanks for your patience! :)

• Godisemo
    Godisemo
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on the moving window bug? In the meantime I found another bug. When using more than one screen, the 1password mini menubar icon is highlighted on both displays. This is quite ugly. I don't know if this is a known bug or not.

Primary display:
    Primary display

Secondary display:
    Secondary display

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Godisemo: Unfortunately we haven't been able to track down what is causing this yet. Hopefully we'll have better news Soon™. Keep an eye out for updates!

• mikeyguy
    mikeyguy
    Community Member
    Options

Couldn't find anything on this issue, but encountering a bug when dragging the 1Password window around the screen.

Depending on where I click to drag it won't always work as expected.

tinypic.com/m/j7gd29/4

Thought it was worth sharing, and couldn't figure out if there was a better place to submit this information.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 5.4 (540046) Mac App Store
    Extension Version: N/A
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This is a known bug. Please see this AgileBits post and subsequent discussion in the same thread.

Stephen

• sdsykes
    sdsykes
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting to note, HipChat also suffers from similar gitchy window dragging if you drag with the title bar near the search history box.

• JeremyD
    JeremyD
    Community Member
    Options

Just chiming in. I, too, am experiencing the same issue.

• Daniel1963
    Daniel1963
    Community Member
    Options

Dear all,

I am experinencing problems on my iMac Retina 27" with 1Password. Using 1Password V5.4 on El Capitan 10.11.1 - when opeing the little 1Password icon (top right screen), sometimes the window that opens (with my passwords, etc.) does not shut, it stays there, stuck. I can reopen 1Password and still use it, but this stuck window stays until i log out and log in. It looks like a screen refresh problem in 1Password. All other little apps work fine...

Also, when opening the main program 1Password, its very hard to drag the window around, it really wants to stick to the middle of the screen - again - it looks like a display driver issue in 1Password...

Can you help? Is a fix peeping around the corner :-)

Dan

PS - Brilliant, brilliant, brillaint util I would not be without...

1Password Version: 5.4
    Extension Version: 4.4.3
    OS Version: 10.11.1
    Sync Type: icloud

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mikeyguy: Thanks for the illustration! This is a known issue, and I've merged you into the existing discussion.

@sdsykes: Interesting! I didn't realize that HipChat had the same issue.

@JeremyD: I'm sorry that you're experiencing this disorienting display glitch as well.

I think we may be closer to fixing this, but no guarantees until we have something to ship out to you lovely folks. Thanks for your patience while we work on this!

ref: OPM-3297

• Daniel1963
    Daniel1963
    Community Member
    Options

Udate,

Just downloaded latest beta and if does the same (jitters when window moved etc.).

Dan

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Daniel1963 this is a known issue and I've merged your post into a long existing thread discussing it.

Stephen

• Hey @Daniel1963,

Thanks for letting us know. As Stephen mentioned, this is a known issue that we're looking into fixing. We appreciate the patience. :)

• ajmaggs
    ajmaggs
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also seeing the display glitch (running El Capitan 10.11.1 and 1Password 5.4 (540046)), but I have noticed that if I click and drag in the left most column of the window (above the categories, by the "traffic light" window close, minimise, full screen buttons) the window moves without glitching, but if I click and drag in the list column or detail column, the window glitches during dragging - hopefully this screenshot will explain it better:

Not sure if anyone else has reported this, but thought it might help tracking down the issue - could be down to the "non-standard" windowing in that area of the 1Password window?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not sure if anyone else has reported this, but thought it might help tracking down the issue - could be down to the "non-standard" windowing in that area of the 1Password window?

@ajmaggs: It certainly seems to be related. Thanks for sharing that! Hopefully we'll be able to find a fix for this soon.

This discussion has been closed.