We just purchased 250 Licenses and we need a method to push this over the network silently

Options

We normally push software through group policy via .msi files

After researching, I see you do not normally provide these

Can these be provided? Do you have a method to push this out over the network on to computers that utilize a standard Windows account

Thank you

Stephen Ebling

Harbortouch IT

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @sebling,

Thanks for your purchase.

I believe you will find the following link useful on how to deploy your 1Password setup via a silent install and an activated license file.

You did purchase the site license with 250 seat at our business store, right? This would give you a single company license instead of 250 separate license files.

Please let us know if that helps.

• sebling
    sebling
    Community Member
    Options

I saw the link you sent but I am unsure how you go about doing a mass exe silent install - we have only done so with .msi files in the past

Can you provide instructions?

• sebling
    sebling
    Community Member
    Options

There is a link to our purchase thread on here if needed but we need to get this resolved ASAP as we purchased this back a few weeks ago and have been unable to use it.

• sebling
    sebling
    Community Member
    Options

I have the script figured out but it is requiring administrative rights. Our users only have standard user access.

What can I provide permissions to to allow them access to install via a logon script?

• Hi @sebling,

Installing 1Password 4 for Windows requires administrator privileges, I'm afraid.
    You should be able to accomplish this using the 'runas' command in your deployment script.

I hope this helps.

• sebling
    sebling
    Community Member
    Options

Are there specific registry keys and folders we can provide full access to, to allow the install?

• Hi @sebling,

The admin rights are required for our installer to install the ActiveX component to support IE and to make other registry changes, there aren't any ways to bypass this for now. Once the installer is done, you don't need admin rights to use 1Password.

We do have plans to try to remove these admin requirements in the future but we don't have a timeframe on this.

• sebling
    sebling
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible to install this active x component separately so we can push the installer without admin rights?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is it possible to install this active x component separately so we can push the installer without admin rights?

@sebling: No, not at this time. And of course admin rights would still be needed for some registry access as well. We'd like to make this more granular or simply require fewer rights in the future, but there simply isn't a way around that as long as we support Internet Explorer.

• sebling
    sebling
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

While I understand your response, I must state that not having this functionality is very dissatisfying. This product is geared towards companies with a large user-base and with that fact comes the almost necessary function of being able to push this over a domain/network.

Let's be real, a secure environment, one that would use a password management solution would be smart enough to not provide administrative functionality to their employees. To offer a product that is meant for this type of setting without providing the ability to install it remotely is beyond my comprehension.

There are many alternative products that provide the same service but have not left out the smaller details. This oversight is something that will surely hold back larger clients from jumping on board. Honestly, if we knew this from the beginning, we may have not gone with your product either.

Heres to hoping this alpha-like functionality gets improved before we move on.

Thank you

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @sebling,

I do apologize if 1Password is not meeting your needs and we do not want you to keep using 1Password for the sake of it, we encourage you to find a service that fits your need better and we can issue you a total refund if you've within 30 days of the purchase. Email us at support+license@agilebits.com with your information and we'll handle it for you.

This product is geared towards companies with a large user-base and with that fact comes the almost necessary function of being able to push this over a domain/network.

1Password is a consumer product, we're not targeting the business market at the moment or specifically, companies that are looking for a groupware version of 1Password. While many companies do work with 1Password, they do try to work around these limitations to make 1Password useful for their employees.

We do want to consider making an enterprise/groupware version of 1Password in the future but for now, this is not our primary market. We do also plan to remove the admin rights for 1Password in the future but we don't have any timeframes on this.

• sebling
    sebling
    Community Member
    Options

1Password is a consumer product, we're not targeting the business market at the moment or specifically, companies that are looking for a groupware version of 1Password.

The issue I have with this statement is the fact that your site offers a "business store" and bulk pricing. If this was purely for a consumer market, what use would there be for a dedicated store that alienates the consumer and a bulk option which an end-user consumer would never purchase.

Ultimately, the product isnt bad, but the issue I have, and I assume many others have is: an MSI package is very easy for a developer to put together, especially when they have had their hand in the code. When we requested this from other software creators, they were able to turn one around quickly for us.

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @sebling,

The issue I have with this statement is the fact that your site offers a "business store" and bulk pricing

Many businesses do not need to deploy images but let their employees set up their own tools on their own computers and our business store allows companies to purchase a seat license and get bulk discounts as well as a single license key for all employees to use instead of employees buying 1Password individually.

It's mostly for licensing convenience.

: an MSI package is very easy for a developer to put together, especially when they have had their hand in the code.

It is something we intend to provide in the future, it is just not something we can do right now.

• auge
    auge
    Community Member
    Options

I think this is caused by misunderstanding of remote installation from the IT dept of the poster.
    An installer asking for admin rights upon installation is normal, being individual or enterprise makes no difference.
    The remote installation process is being pushed by a service that has admin rights and has no influence on the actual user, as long as access to the application is not intentionally limited, either by installation point or group policies.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@auge: That's been my experience as well...but who knows what 'creative' schemes others may be using. ;)

This discussion has been closed.