Importing into sections other than "Logins"

Hi,

I'm trying out 1password for the first time. I'm coming from another password manager, and have a lot of data to import. I'm able to massage the data into the correct CSV format, but as far as I can tell 1password will *only* let me import into the "Logins" section. Much of my data needs to go into the "Accounts" or "Wallet" sections. Is there any way to import into these areas? I also have access to a Mac if that works any better...

Also, when I created a test record in "Accounts", and did an export, it was not exported. Is there really no way to import/export except for logins? That just seems unbelievable.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    xyz123, welcome to the forum!

As documented in How do I import data into 1Password for Windows? in the FAQ section of the user's guide, 1Password for Windows currently includes the ability "to import Logins formatted as 1Password Interchange Format (1PIF), delimited text, or Roboform’s 'print to HTML' output."

In fact, 1PIF import includes all item types—I need to rewrite that introduction! (blush)

If the Mac is yours: You'll probably be happiest getting 1Password for Mac, too. Then you can import your data into 1Password for Mac, and set up Dropbox sync'ing between the Mac and PC, as described in the following documents.

The "big picture":

Windows-specific instructions:

If you're just borrowing the Mac: Install the free trial version of 1Password for Mac, import your data into 1Password for Mac, export your complete data to a 1PIF file, and import that into 1Password for Windows.
  • xyz123
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm still not sure I see how I can do what I need to. The mac is mine, so no issues there. Basically I'm trying to import a whole pile of records from a different password tool. I've gone through several in the past, and 1password seems like it's a pretty good fit for what I'm looking for - the cross-platform Dropbox sync is a key feature that I've always wanted. I'd like to have most of my imported data end up under "Accounts" (not "Logins"). I have the existing data in plaintext, and I can easily script up something to format it however 1password wants it. But I still don't see how to have 1password import into any top level section other that "Logins" (other than possibly allowing imports into "Software" in some cases on the Mac version?).

The 1PIF format import looks comprehensive, but it's not clear if I can create that from scratch - it seems like that's intended for 1password->1password export/import. I looked quickly at the format and it's plaintext, but there are a bunch of fields in there that are not obvious how to create (uuid, folderUuid, contentsHash, etc.). Is it possible to generate a partial 1PIF file (i.e. with just the raw information - what you enter into the GUI), and will 1password accept that import?

In general, I really don't want to have to manually type in hundreds of records - I just can't believe there's not a way to import into any of the sections from some sort of plaintext input file (CSV, txt, etc). I'm willing/able to format the data any convenient way. Is there no way to do this? Even some sort of "beta" tool used to testing would be fine, mac/windows, I'll take anything...

Thanks....
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    What David is saying is this: you can import your CSV (or TXT) into 1Password on your Mac. Because the Mac version can import CSV (or TXT) into the Accounts section, it should do what you want. Then when you setup Dropbox syncing, the Windows version should open the same data (in other words: your imported data should end up under "Accounts" over there, too).
  • xyz123
    edited May 2011
    Thanks - I didn't get that from the initial reply. Though as I look at it more, it seems like maybe the Logins section is where I want to put most of my info. Accounts seems a bit too limited - support for only some specific account types, inability to generate random passwords, etc....
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Sorry I wasn't more clear, xyz123. :(

You had mentioned that you "have access to a Mac," so I tried to cover the "owned" and "borrowed" scenarios.

Now that it's clear that the Mac is yours, I even more strongly recommend that you get 1Password for Mac, as well. Then you can import your data into 1Password for Mac, and set up Dropbox sync'ing between the Mac and PC, as described in the following documents.

The "big picture":

Windows-specific instructions:
  • richit
    richit
    Community Member
    similar problem.
    I am wanting to transfer from my old Palm's PassWordsPlus from Dataviz and Firefox

300+ files with big text entry in some.
    Access to a mac that has 1PW on it and don't want to mix my passwords and theirs
    Going that path is inelegant, as is reentering 300+ passwords
    That and excel turns all my credit cards into exponential notation when I peek into the files :-(
    Really needs a csv and HTML importer and robust exporter for the multiplatform future.
    Otherwise quite nice.

Richit
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    richit wrote:

Really needs a csv and HTML importer and robust exporter for the multiplatform future.

As far as export is concerned, I believe we're not locking you in because we do export ALL your items (including non-login-items).

Import is currently limited to login items only. This is a known issue.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

As far as export is concerned, I believe we're not locking you in because we do export ALL your items (including non-login-items).

To be precise, export is limited to Login items if you're exporting to delimited text.

You can export other item types, as Stefan writes, but only if you select the 1Password Interchange Format (1PIF), which is plain text but probably isn't used by anyone but us.
  • jdbarney
    jdbarney
    Community Member
    Adding another vote for the ability to import other record types into 1Password for Windows. I have a bunch of software license data that I would like to bring in (non-login records).
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for letting us know, jdbarney!

I really hope we'll make our import and export capabilities much more robust, one day, to be more like our big sister on the Mac!
This discussion has been closed.