I bought a license now it keeps telling me to pay again

CyborgNC
CyborgNC
Community Member

The App Keeps updating on my phone. I do not see a reason why I have to "upgrade" (Read that PAY AGAIN) when it worked fine. But I can not use it on my phone anymore. I really dislike not getting a discount (READ THAT PAYING AGAIN) for what I bought already and being forced to upgrade the software forcing me to PAY AGAIN.. How do I downgrade back to the version I PAID FOR so I can avoid this bad business practice.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:why is my license invalid, kb:license-requirements

Comments

• Hi @CyborgNC. Thanks for getting in touch with us and for your support of 1Password. :)

I'm not quite sure I understand the situation here. 1Password 4 for Android was the first version we released with a purchase option, so upgrades to version 4 shouldn't have any affect on your Premium features.

The Premium features on Android are handled through Google Play and linked to the Google account they're purchased with. In order to unlock them, 1Password will need to be installed from the Play Store with the Google account used for the purchase active.

Have you recently reinstalled 1Password on this device? If so, it may have been installed using a different Google account that you have linked to the Play Store. If if this is the case, first, please uninstall 1Password. Keep in mind that unininstalling means your 1Password data will be deleted from your device. Make sure you have successfully synced your data before uninstalling.

Next, launch the Play Store and bring up the navigation drawer by sliding your finger from the left corner of the screen. You should see your account listed on the top, tap on it to change it to the correct Google account account. Search for 1Password and then install it.

Let us know if that does the trick! Thanks!

• CyborgNC
    CyborgNC
    Community Member

I had the previous version installed that I got at the same time I purchased the license on the PC. Now it was forcibly updated to version 4 and requires me to pay. When I purchased the PC version it told me that android was free for the PC version I used. Google Play updated it from 1Password to 1Password4. There is no option to revert back to the version I had and to get the features back I have to purchase them. Not to mention the upgrade path on the PC with discount is more than I paid for the software originally and that is a discount with no new usable features and the same UI. The only new feature I notice is having to pay for it again.

1Password was the software I recommended to everyone for the sync ability in Dropbox and storing passwords locally by choice. Now I am not sure if I have to pay again for the PC version and then for the android version. There are too many other options if that is true.

• It sounds like you were using 1Password Reader on your Android device before. Google Play won’t update your copy of 1Password Reader to 1Password 4 because they are two completely separate apps in the Play Store. As the name suggests, 1Password Reader only allows the ability to read your items from your 1Password data folder. It is now discontinued with the launch of 1Password 4.

1Password 4 for Android is free to download and provides all the capabilities of 1Password Reader and more for free. There is an optional in-app purchase if you are interested in taking advantage of the premium features. The premium features give you the ability to add items, edit existing items and organize your items into folders. Again, this is an optional purchase. :)

• saad
    edited September 2015

As for 1Password for your Windows PC, I was only able to find a single purchase using your email address. Have you upgraded to 1Password 4 for Windows? It offers a new user interface and a lot of great features compared to the old versions of 1Password on Windows.

• CyborgNC
    CyborgNC
    Community Member

Did 1Password Reader allow you to add accounts and modify logins? It was always Called 1password. There was no reader on the end of it when downloaded from the play store. And considering looking on the play store there is no 1Password reader anyways.

I grabbed the demo for 1password 4 with hopes of something new. There was no difference other than a few new icons and everything else was the same. So I went back to the one I had. Yeah it had a dated interface but I must be totally missing the new features that you say are in the new version. I even found it less than the old version. Combining the Add to 1 button does not give reason for a upgrade and I found that rather annoying.

I found the apk for the old version of 1password on my old phone. Now if I can just get to stop auto upgrading I will be fine.

• Did 1Password Reader allow you to add accounts and modify logins?

No. 1Password Reader was essentially a read-only app. It gave users the ability to sync and view their data, but they didn't have the ability to add items and edit them. 1Password 4 for Android has all of the capabilities that 1Password Reader did for free (and more considering you can use our custom keyboard to automatically fill logins even with the free version), but 1Password 4 also has the optional in-app purchase of Premium features. This gives users the option to add and modify items.

And considering looking on the play store there is no 1Password reader anyways.

1Password Reader is no longer in development, and has been made a legacy version. As a result, it's not available through the Play Store. We recommend users who just want Reader functionality use the free version of 1Password 4, which is available through the Play Store.

To clarify the difference between what the two apps look like, here is 1Password Reader:

And here is 1Password 4:

Yeah it had a dated interface but I must be totally missing the new features that you say are in the new version. I even found it less than the old version.

For a complete list of changes made since 1Password 4 was released, please have a look at our release notes. Among other things, 1Password 4 has support for adding and editing items, automatic filling into apps and browsers, and WiFi sync.

Now if I can just get to stop auto upgrading I will be fine.

1Password Reader will never automatically update to 1Password 4, as they're separate apps and handled through separate channels. 1Password Reader is only available through a direct download of our APK, and 1Password 4 is available through the Play Store.

Since 1Password licenses are version specific, 1Password will notify you of updates to the version you're currently running. That is, if you're running 1Password 4, you'll receive update notices for 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, etc. However, major version upgrades (like from version 4 to version 5), will need to be manually installed through the Play Store.

I hope this clarifies things a bit! Let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.