Problem with 1Password on iPad iOS9 GM

Options
rodney_s
rodney_s
Community Member

I have upgraded my iPad to the iOS9 GM (should be the same as the version everyone installs tomorrow). This is on an iPad Air 2 128GB WiFi + LTE

It was taking 20 seconds or so after launching the app before it even gives me the option of entering my password or unlocking with TouchID.

I tried restarting the iPad (after quitting all apps), but same thing happened. I decided to uninstall and reinstall 1Password. After doing that, I started getting sync errors with Dropbox with the message "Failed to download file from Dropbox. Path:/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/followed by a bunch of stuff I'm not sure if I should type here.

After many attempts at syncing, it finally finished successfully. However, it was back to the same slow behavior.

Today, 1Password started crashing to dashboard/desktop about 20 seconds after launching. I'm trying once again to reinstall, but have run into the same sync errors. This time the syncing worked on the second try, but it is back to the same 20 seconds before prompting for TouchID unlock and then takes about 20 seconds after reading my fingerprint before unlocking.

1Password 5.5 with Pro upgrade (same version) is working fine on my iPhone 6, also with iOS9 GM. I'm similarly using 1Password on my Mac and Windows systems with no issues at all.

Any help would be appreciated as I definitely depend on using 1Password on all of my devices.

1Password Version: 5.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS9 GM
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rodney_s: The "Failed to download file from Dropbox." error usually just indicates that Dropbox isn't finished syncing your data over. Parts of it will be missing until it is complete, so 1Password will not be able to load it properly.

From your description of Touch ID and Springboard issues, it really sounds like an iOS issue. After all, 1Password doesn't have any control over either of these. Ultimately, you may need to reinstall the OS. I'm really hoping that the work Apple has done since the GM candidate was released makes it into the final release, as I've seen too many cases where the whole thing needed to be reinstalled to resolve these kinds of problems.

I'm glad to hear that everything else is working well for you. If there's no update for today, or it doesn't help, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• rodney_s
    rodney_s
    Community Member
    Options

I will send a diagnostics report from my iPad and post here when I do.

As for Touch ID being slow, it is only with 1Password that I'm seeing this issue. It takes 20 seconds before I get the prompt to use TouchID or to enter my master password. Once I do, it then takes another 20 seconds for 1Password to open. Once open, it works fine. Same problem if I type my password instead of using TouchID (though when I cancel TouchID, I have to wait for the enter password prompt, which is much slower than usual to appear). 1Password does open quickly after entering my master password instead of using TouchID, though.

As for Springboard problems, there aren't any. My problem is that 1Password was quitting back to Springboard. It was still showing as a background app and I could re-open it, but it quit again. Reinstalling 1Password again seemed to fix that, but not the slowdowns in unlocking the app.

• Hi @rodney_s,

Please try updating to 1Password 6 for iOS and see if that helps. It is a free upgrade. :)

Ben

• rodney_s
    rodney_s
    Community Member
    Options

It isn't quite available yet, evidently, but I'll certainly upgrade ASAP when it appears on the App Store.

• Great. If you aren't seeing it now you should be very soon! :)

• rodney_s
    rodney_s
    Community Member
    Options

I installed both the release iOS 9 and 1Password 6. Unfortunately, the same problem occurs. I did delete and re-install 1Password (and restarted before installing and testing again), but no change.

The problem definitely appears to be in 1Password. TouchID responds very quickly when it comes up. But when I launch 1Password it takes 20 seconds before I get the prompt to unlock it. After using TouchID (responds instantly when it comes up), it takes another 20 seconds for 1Password to finish unlocking. After I am in 1Password, it works with no problem.

Any help that can be offered would be appreciated. I REALLY don't want to try installing the OS and apps from scratch given that this is an almost full 128GB iPad Air 2 (with several hundred apps). That would take hours. Especially since 1Password is the only app I have seen problems with.

• Hi @rodney_s,

Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce this issue, but I don't have an iPad Air 2... Just an iPad Mini (2nd gen) and an iPhone 6, on both of which Touch ID is responsive. I will forward this on to our QA folks to see if they can reproduce the issue in their testing.

Thanks!

Ben

• rodney_s
    rodney_s
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. Please let me know if they need another Diagnostic sent.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2015
    Options

@rodney_s I've just had a colleague do a test with your exact same setup (iOS 9, 1Password 6 for iOS, iPad Air 2), and he also was unable to reproduce the issue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears to be something specific to your device/setup.

I REALLY don't want to try installing the OS and apps from scratch given that this is an almost full 128GB iPad Air 2 (with several hundred apps). That would take hours. Especially since 1Password is the only app I have seen problems with.

It seems, unfortunately, we may need to go through this procedure. What I'd recommend doing is:
    1) Make a full backup of the iPad
    2) Backup 1Password specifically: https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/
    3) Restore the iPad w/ a clean install (no data, no apps)
    4) Install and test 1Password -- see if the device is still having the issue on a clean install
    5) Restore your backup so you've got all your apps and data again

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let us know how it turns out. Thanks!

Ben

• rodney_s
    rodney_s
    Community Member
    Options

I'll give it a try. I may not be able to do this for a week or so due to some upcoming travel. But if I get the chance to let it run in the background today, I'll do it sooner rather than later.

However, with the procedure that you listed, won't I be installing the problematic copy of 1Password on top of everything when I restore? It seems like I really need to delete 1Password before I backup so that my restore won't put the problematic configuration back.

• @rodney_s,

You had mentioned you had already reinstalled 1Password.

Ben

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same problem on an iPhone 6 with official iOS 9. Actually 1Password 5 crashed, upgraded to 6, sometimes loaded (slooooow), sometimes crashed, reinstalled, same story. Was fine on iOS 8.

Using 2 vaults via Dropbox, 1000+ items.

• Hi @Arnoud,

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• rodney_s
    rodney_s
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

@Ben,

Yes, I have already re-installed 1Password multiple times. However, you asked me to back it up, wipe my iPad, then install and test 1Password with a clean iPad.

If 1Password works at this point, and I restore from my backup, it seems to me that I would be restoring to the problematic state, right? What it seems you are wanting is to wipe my iPad and test 1Password. (Or am I missing something about restoring an iPad from a backup after resetting it?)

So I'm trying to figure out how doing anything other than a completely manual recreation of the configuration of my iPad will get me back to a working state for 1Password if your scenario fixes the problem? While restoring will take several hours, rebuilding my iPad configuration from scratch, instead of from a backup, would take days of work.

I also don't understand the purpose of even bothering to back up 1Password from my iPad separately, since I can always restore it from the same vault on Dropbox that I use for my Mac, PC, and iPhone. None of the steps I read asked me to restore my 1Password backup.

Please help me understand your reasoning so that I don't waste many hours of my time.

From a troubleshooting perspective, installing on a clean iPad makes sense. Though if 1Password can break that badly, I'm wondering if I should keep using it, to be honest. I can't think of any other software that requires me to wipe a perfectly functioning device to use.

From the standpoint of restoring my iPad back to complete working order, I'm having a hard time seeing how your request will fix it, so I'm just looking for a better understanding before I start.

Thanks,

-Rodney

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    Options

Report sent: #YFK-88291-789

In the meantime I tried a reset and a new empty database with iCloud sync. Exactly the same issues with multiple crashes, so I reset again to go back to my regular setup via Dropbox (same issues again of course).

• rodney_s
    rodney_s
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I tried a delete and re-install of 1Password on the iPad. Initial launch was fine. Created a new empty vault with no sync. As soon as I exited and launched 1Password again, the exact same delay occurs. So it isn't even an issue with syncing, evidently.

So, this issue started with 5.5 on iOS9 GM, continued with 5.5 on iOS9 release, and is there with 6.0 as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Arnoud: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: YFK-88291-789

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If 1Password works at this point, and I restore from my backup, it seems to me that I would be restoring to the problematic state, right?

@rodney_s: Without knowing for certain what is causing your issue, it's impossible to say one way or the other. But I can definitely say that backing up is always an important precaution. I know part of the appeal for 1Password for me is not having to worry about my data, so it's entirely possible that I'll make a change somewhere and forget. That said, it's entirely up to you. After all, it's your data! But backing up ensures that, at the very least, you'll be no worse off than when you started, regardless of the outcome. I think that's a good baseline. ;)

Though if 1Password can break that badly, I'm wondering if I should keep using it, to be honest. I can't think of any other software that requires me to wipe a perfectly functioning device to use.

1Password depends on the underlying OS and storage to function properly. If this was a problem endemic to 1Password itself, we'd all be experiencing it — especially with the same hardware and software configurations.

I see we're also in contact via email, so I'm going to close this discussion for now to avoid confusion between the two. We'll get to the bottom of this! :)

ref: VDS-18532-922

This discussion has been closed.