Remove Dropbox

How to change back or find alternatives to dropbox
I'm not saying I've lost all faith in Dropbox, but I'm wondering what my options are?

How do I get the 1password file off dropbox, removing the account entirely, can I save that file to a shared server at home, so I can access it from my iMac and Macbook for updates, rather than using dropbox?

is it just cutting and pasting to the new location, then correcting the paths to the new location?

Should I even be asking such an easy question, or am I forgetting something?

Thanks for the help as always.

Bobby

Comments

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    Hi DoubleD,

This answer depends on which platform you're on for 1Password (I will answer from my own setup, on Mac OS X Snow Leopard):

1. go to the location in Dropbox that you have your 1Password.agilekeychain file
    2. copy it to whatever local drive you want to use it from going forward
    3. start 1Password up
    4. enter in your Master Password
    5. go to your 1Password Menu > Preferences > General > Data File and click on the Choose Another
    6. find the location where you saved the new 1Password Interchange File and choose it
    7. once you've confirmed that everything is there, close 1Password
    8. go back to Dropbox and delete your now former 1Password.agilekeychain file
    9. go into your Dropbox via your web browser and click on the Show Deleted Files button up top (or if it's not there, click on the More button)
    10. check box the 1Password.agilekeychain and then select the Permanently Delete option from the More button

That should do it for moving your keychain and then deleting the Dropbox version.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Welcome to the forums, BlackMacX! Thanks for posting those instructions.

Also, thanks to Bobby for asking. :-)

Essentially, you can just (1) move your 1Password.agilekeychain outside your Dropbox folder in Finder and then (2) double-click it to open it in 1Password. Additional "clean up" on Dropbox is optional but — if you are concerned about security — a good option.

Please take a look at our "Security of storing 1Password data in the Cloud" document for more information. We also have a thread for the latest Dropbox security news as well.

There are also many other file-based sync solutions which will work between 1Password for Mac and Windows.

At this time our mobile apps only support Dropbox and local Wi-Fi syncing, but we are always evaluating our sync offerings.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • doubleb
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the help.

I have vaguely kept this topic in the back of my mind, I hadn't started to panic but wanted to know if for my needs, I could eliminate dropbox and still have the workflow I know and love from 1password and I am assure that I can.

Also the post #18 by JPGoldberg set my mind at ease.

I continue to love this product and urge my friends to get it as well.

Bobby
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update, Bobby. We really appreciate your kind words!

Best regards,
  • dougiedd
    dougiedd
    Community Member
    where is the best place to store the keychain after moving it out of Dropbox, or does it not matter at all?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It doesn't matter too much, but certainly somewhere within your Home folder. The default location is:

/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers!
  • dougiedd
    dougiedd
    Community Member
    thanks
  • Hey dougiedd,

On behalf of Khad, you are very welcome!

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Brandt
  • Once iCloud ships (soon) is there any chance we could see an option to use iCloud syncing rather than DB?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, e1ven!

We are as excited about iCloud as you are. Apple announced this incredible new service in early June, 2011 at its annual WWDC event and plans to release iCloud to everyone sometime in the fall.

We immediately began digging into iCloud and how it might benefit our users. For now though, we're going to wait to announce any new features until they're ready to be released.

When we have more news we will be posting it on our blog, on Twitter, and in the newsletter:

Blog: http://blog.agilebits.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/1Password
    Newsletter: http://agilebits.com/company/newsletter
    (In 1Password for Mac, choose Help > Subscribe to Newsletter.)

Please keep an eye on these resources for more information, and let me know if there is anything else I can help with. :-)

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.