Suggestion: Minimize to system tray on close

Hello!

I find out, that I frequently close 1Pass by mistake. I get accustomed that my previous password manager can't be closed by clicking Close button (when I do that it minimizes to system tray; because have special option for it). It's very useful, because I want to have password manager always run. It's way to save time on clicking menu/shortcut, unlocking and agilekeychain DB initialization (when it have many items, it takes some time).

Please add option like this: "Minimize to system tray on close". But true closing can be done by right click on tray icon or by choosing Exit in File menu.

P.S.
I have purchased 1Pass yesterday.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Hi, EIKA.

It may be that one of the differences between 1Password and your previous password manager turns out to be that you don't need the full program open all the time, as most of 1Password's day-to-day functionality is available directly from within the browser, by way of the 1Password extensions for Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.

As for changing the behavior of the "close" button, I'm not sure what's technically possible—that is, I don't know whether a program can redefine a standard Windows control like that—but I'll mention it to the developer.

For now, you can at least minimize the number of times you have to unlock 1Password from within your browser by using the Leave extensions unlocked option on the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences, as described in the keep unlocked on Windows thread in the "beta builds" forum.
  • EIKA
    edited May 2011
    DBrown wrote:

Hi, EIKA.

Hello David!

It may be that one of the differences between 1Password and your previous password manager turns out to be that you don't need the full program open all the time, as most of 1Password's day-to-day functionality is available directly from within the browser, by way of the 1Password extensions for Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.

Yes, I know. But I use 1Pass not only for web browsers. I use it for desktop software, for fill forms & etc. Also sometimes I need to change add some data for forms. They are NOT browser-related tasks.

As for changing the behavior of the "close" button, I'm not sure what's technically possible—that is, I don't know whether a program can redefine a standard Windows control like that—but I'll mention it to the developer.

It's pobbible. Look e.g. at HDDlife - good program for HDD Temp/SMART monitoring. Close and Maximize buttons disables at all! They are grayed out!

For now, you can at least minimize the number of times you have to unlock 1Password from within your browser by using the Leave extensions unlocked option on the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences, as described in the keep unlocked on Windows thread in the "beta builds" forum.

I use 1Pass not only from browsers. When I call 1Pass from browsers I have no any problems with app run.
  • d0cent
    d0cent
    Community Member
    DBrown
    As for changing the behavior of the "close" button, I'm not sure what's technically possible—that is, I don't know whether a program can redefine a standard Windows control like that

It's possible, many programs can do that. For example,
    Keepass: Tools - Options - "Interface (GUI)" tab
    µTorrent: Options - UI Settings - "Close to tray"
    FeedDemon: Tools - FeedDemon Options - Desktop Alert - "Minimize to system tray instead of closing"
    Miranda IM, Steam client, "MinimizeToTray revived" addon for thunderbird/firefox...
    EIKA
    But I use 1Pass not only for web browsers.

I'm too. I thought that 1pass not much comfortable for non-browser using and filled some feature requests because of that (autostart minimized, global hotkey for restore\minimize).
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    EIKA wrote:

It's pobbible. Look e.g. at HDDlife - good program for HDD Temp/SMART monitoring. Close and Maximize buttons disables at all! They are grayed out!

and

d0cent wrote:

It's possible, many programs can do that. For example,

Thanks! I didn't say it wasn't possible—only that I wasn't sure; but I'm happy to take your word for it. :D
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    I have added the following setting: "Close 1Password to System Tray". To be included with 1.0.6.BETA-193.
  • EIKA
    edited May 2011

I have added the following setting: "Close 1Password to System Tray". To be included with 1.0.6.BETA-193.

Wow! Great! Thank you!

How to download it? Or how loger I need wait to official release? Approximately - week, month or few months?
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    EIKA wrote:

how loger I need wait to official release? Approximately - week, month or few months?

It is available now.
  • I mean final release with this new feature.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    EIKA wrote:

I mean final release with this new feature.

If you enable "include beta versions" in Preferences, then it is available for you today. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the next non-beta version. There is no release date for the next non-beta version.
  • Ok, thanks!

• I have added the following setting: "Close 1Password to System Tray". To be included with 1.0.6.BETA-193.

Stefan,

Thank you very much. All works like I want!
  • Thank you for this new feature that i find very useful, but i do have a question. When i click on minimize it will minimize to systray which is the way i want it to be. When i click close it will minimize to systray as well with this new feature which is great except that when i click close it will also remain in the taskbar. Since i have "Show 1password icon in the notification area" checked wouldn't it make sense that close will minimize to systray with the same behavior as the minimize function do?

-gan
  • d0cent
    d0cent
    Community Member
    gan

Fixed in 1.0.6.BETA-194
This discussion has been closed.