Unlock issues: Touch ID missing [under investigation]

jomeara
jomeara
Community Member
edited October 2015 in iOS

Just updated to ios9 on iPad & have newest 1Password.
Outcome: No Touch Id (including no setting for Touch ID in Security setting)
Plus: 1 Password takes very long time to permit me type in password

Mystery: Works just like before on iPhone.

Any assistance appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member

Update: shut down iPad & restarted. No improvement. Now it's crashing. Looking for assistance, please.

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member

Same remarks but on iPhone 6+ 128Gb.
    What a shame. Cannot wait for a fix.

• Hi @jomeara & @jacmichel,

This isn't the first report I've seen now. I'm not sure what is going on but 1Password for iOS pretty much relies on what iOS tells it. If iOS reports that Touch ID is enabled we will offer the setting to also enable it in 1Password. It's the same for those without TouchID but instead have a passcode set, in those circumstances we will offer the user the chance to set a PIN as a way of quickly unlocking your vault.

How do you feel about turning Touch ID off, rebooting your iOS device and then turning Touch ID back on? Basically reset Touch ID completely. I would hope that after this 1Password will be able to correctly determine that Touch ID is enabled and then offer you the chance of using it again in 1Password for iOS. Please let us know if this makes any difference.

• Marauder
    Marauder
    Community Member

I encountered the same thing on both an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. In both cases, deleting 1Password and its data and reinstalling it from the App Store seemed to bring back Touch ID in 1Password. That said, I am still having issues with 1Password taking quite a long time before it is responsive and will accept either TouchID or Master Password.

• Hi @Marauder,

That sounds like there's some kind of configuration issue between iOS and 1Password.

Try resetting the fingerprint data for Touch ID to see if it will respond quicker:

1. First, turn off Touch ID in 1Password. Unlock 1Password on your iOS devices, go to Settings > Security and turn off Touch ID.
    2. Launch the Settings app on your iOS devices
    3. Tap on Touch ID & Passcode
    4. Enter your Passcode or Password
    5. Toggle Touch ID to OFF
    6. Press the Home button to return to the Home screen
    7. Shut down and restart your device
    8. Enter your Passcode or Password at the Lock screen
    9. Launch Settings on your iOS device
    10. Tap on Touch ID & Passcode
    11. Enter your Passcode or Password
    12. Toggle Touch ID to ON
    13. Open 1Password, unlock and go to Settings > Security to turn it back on.

Does that fix the problem?

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member

Hi,
    I have just unchecked Touch ID in main iOS settings, rebooted iPhone, switched Touch ID on again, opened 1Password. Still no Touch ID available in settings (only PIN option is offered, not Touch ID). Seems as if 1Password can't see Touch ID, which works perfectly fine in other apps.

• jacmichel
    jacmichel
    Community Member

Ads now have just uninstalled and reinstalled 1Password. Same thing. No Touch ID available !

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member

Did the following:

Turned off Touch ID in iPad Settings
    Shut iPad off completely
    Restarted
    Turned Touch ID on in iPad Settings
    Opened 1Password, typed in password
    Opened 'Security'
    No sign of Touch ID option
    Closed 1 Password
    Reopened 1Password
    No Touch ID
    The end.

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member

Update:
    I deleted 1Password from iPad and reinstalled from the App Store.
    In the Security setting the Touch ID option was available and turned on, as was Lock on Exit.
    Exited 1 Password
    Shut down iPad and restarted.
    Opened 1 Password, typed in password.
    Touch Id settings intact, so exited
    Upon reopening still had to type in password, no Touch ID login available
    So am exactly where I was before, with no Touch ID.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jomeara: I'm sorry that you're still having this problem! At this point, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable Keychain

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

@jacmichel: It looks like the Touch ID issue has since been resolved (although we're still working with you on the launch issue), but be sure to let us know if the problem returns.

• borgheart
    borgheart
    Community Member

I have exactly the same issue. iPhone 6. ios9 stable release. Newest updated 1Password. Suddenly touch stopped working. In addition, password prompt takes up to 20 seconds to show up.... to the point where you keep killing app and trying again. Hard restarts and soft restarts don't help at all. The "turn off Touch ID" help formulas don't work because those choices aren't even on my phone when I go to the appropriate spot. So, I'm stuck with a VERY unresponsive lifeline to my passwords. I have 1P on my Mac and my old iPad 3 so the data is backed up... but it sounds like reinstall isn't the solution. Is anything new here yet?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @borgheart ,

I'm sorry for the frustration! First of all, we released version 6.0.1 for 1Password 6 for iOS yesterday, and there are a lot of great fixes in that little update. Please check that you're up-to-date and let me know if you're still seeing this.

If you are, you're welcome to follow Brenty's instructions above and send our team a Diagnostics Report so we can investigate further. :)

• borgheart
    borgheart
    Community Member

Thanks Megan. Actually, via Twitter I've moved along with support and sent the diagnostics. The 6.0.1 version offered no relief. I deleted, re-installed 6.0.0, and restored my data. This made the TouchID work and the toggles remain present but it takes 10 seconds after launch before the Touch prompt shows up and another 13 seconds after the touch for the "doors to open". Clearly, this puts a severe cramp in my style. Just TOOOOOo long to wait over and over again. We'll see what your crew comes up with. Its been about a day so far. I suspect it won't be easy to find.....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@borgheart: I don't see any recent messages from this email address. If you can reply here with the support ID you received it will help us track it down and get bak to you sooner. Thanks in advance! :)

• judithdrive
    judithdrive
    Community Member

I have the same problem also. I lost TouchID (I think with the iOS 9 upgrade) and got a long wait to enter my (long) password. I have the same problem with 9.0.1. I went through several procedures listed here for getting 1P TouchID back without success. I would rather not delete and reinstall — even though I have a backup — because it's another risk. I haven't seen anything here for getting rid of the long delay.

Are you planning to fix either with a new update?

• borgheart
    borgheart
    Community Member

Brenty, support ID is [#GQV-93897-379]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Are you planning to fix either with a new update?

@judithdrive: We won't make any plans until we're able to figure out why this is happening only for some people on iOS 9. It would be unwise to do otherwise.

@borgheart: Thank you! I see that were in contact via email already, so we can continue the conversation there. :)

ref: GQV-93897-379

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member

Hello, happy to report this issue is resolved for me. Not sure on exact configuration of actions that fixed it, but it's functional. Thanks to several agilebits folks who helped out, I appreciate that.

• Thanks for the update, @jomeara. Glad to hear it is working for you.

• ebernet
    ebernet
    Community Member

I had the same problem on my iPhone 5s with iOS 9.0.1. I deleted 1Password and reinstalled it, reconnected to my Dropbox vault. I got TouchID back. Quit application and came back in, waited for 20-30 seconds for it to unlock, FINALLY the lock moved to the top and I got the "TouchID" prompt, and then 20-30 seconds later my vault opened. Quit, tried again, and it crashed while waiting for TouchID prompt. Quit, tried again, got the 20-30 wait, touchID prompt, 20-30 wait for vault.
    Something is seriously broken. This used to work like buttah...

• Hi @ebernet,

Sorry for the frustration! Yes, our developers are currently investigating an issue where 1Password upon launch is much slower to respond than normal for some folks. Unfortunately the issue is complicated by the fact that only a relatively small group of people experiences the issue -- making it difficult to reproduce. As soon as they've discovered the cause they'll begin working on an update to address the issue.

Thanks!

Ben

• I was having the same problem of no Touch ID after upgrading to iOS9 on my iPhone 6+. I also just did the first 'fix' to 9.0.1. I tuned off touch in iPhone settings, restarted the phone, then re-entered my fingerprint. I also went to 1PW settings, turned off the Touch ID, turned the phone off then on again - nothing seemed to work. THEN, I went to Dropbox - settings - Passcode Lock - (after entering my passcode lock) got to the next screen and turned Touch ID off and on. Touch ID worked for Dropbox. After doing all this, the Touch ID seems to be working for 1Password now. I went through the same steps with my husband's iPhone 6 which was having the same issue with no Touch ID. After going to Dropbox and back as above, his now seems to work.

• I just left the above comment. However, after an hour, I went back to 1PW and attempted to open it but no Touch ID was available. So I opened it with typing my incredibly long PW and made sure Touch ID was enabled. Then I went to Dropbox. It did let me open it with Touch ID. Then, back to 1PW which had locked after I left the app. Now, it opened with Touch ID. It appears to not be working every time, but did work after going in and out of Dropbox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mail_ronandclaudia: Wow. Thank you for sharing this! I'm sorry that it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix, but maybe it provides a clue. While it isn't clear why Dropbox should be connected, I do have a theory:

1Password for iOS can authenticate with Dropbox on it's own, but if the Dropbox app is present, 1Password will hand off to it instead. There have been cases recently and in the past where there was some issue with the Dropbox app, and it caused a hang during this process. Now, typically this has occurred during the Dropbox Sync setup process so it was more obvious what was going wrong, but of course 1Password may need to authenticate with Dropbox at other times as well to sync your data...so there might be something here.

Try uninstalling the Dropbox app completely to see if the problem goes away. I wonder if everyone having these issues is using Dropbox. :unamused:

• This AM, 1PW is opening with touch ID. However, Dropbox initially asked for my pin, then after closing the app, it did open with Touch ID. Would you give me instructions as to how to uninstall the Dropbox App and then reinstall it? I have all my files and pics in Dropbox as well as sync with 1PW so I'm fearful of doing it wrong. (BTW, on my husband's iPhone6, 1PW opened with Touch ID as well as Dropbox without having to input the pin. We share all the 1PW data and functionality).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mail_ronandclaudia,

Here are instructions on the Dropbox site:

How do I reinstall the Dropbox iOS app? (Dropbox Help Center)

Hope that helps!

• Thanks for the prompt reply!

• On behalf of sjk, you're welcome. Please do let us know how it turns out.

• ebernet
    ebernet
    Community Member

I do not have this slowdown on my iPad Air 2. I do have it on my new iPhone 6s. It was restored from a 5s, which also had this issue.
    Is there any news on it yet?
    Thank You!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ebernet: Sorry for the trouble! We're trying to find a fix for this, but I don't have any information on if or when that may be available — assuming that we can fix it on our end.

I am interested in your comment that this problem seems to have carried over from a previous iPhone. If you're feeling adventurous (and you haven't spent a great deal of time customizing your new iPhone as of yet), I have something I'd like you to try. I'd do it myself, but I'm not able to reproduce this Touch ID issue on any of my devices.

This discussion has been closed.