Unlock issues: Touch ID missing [under investigation]

Options

Comments

• mail_ronandclaudia
    Options

A while back I wrote in because I didn't have the Touch ID when I upgraded to iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 (I have installed the most recent update and am now on 9.1) The issue was never corrected but did seem to work intermittently. You suggested deleting and reinstalling the Dropbox app on my iPhone. I didn't do it at the time. However, with my upgrade to El Capitan on my iMac I was having trouble with the Photos app in that it didn't recognize my iPhone when I plugged it in and so couldn't see the camera roll. I spent several long hours with Apple Care and they never could discover the problem. Finally I hired an expensive computer consultant and we stumbled on the problem. I had automatic camera uploads enabled on Dropbox. By disabling that setting Photos started working OK. So . . . I went ahead and deleted/reinstalled the Dropbox app and low and behold the touch ID started working right away and very quickly. If the fix continues to work I'm going to be a happy camper.

• FortKnox
    FortKnox
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem as oed in that on my iPhone 6s Plus it is difficult to unlock 1Password via "Finger" print scan or by password. Seems to lockup then quit, even though it doesn't. Most aggravating and I tried all of the recommendations as described in the thread to no avail.

My iOS is v.9.1 and I have the latest version of 1Password.

Please advise.

Thank you.

• oed
    oed
    Community Member
    Options

brenty-- thanks very much for everything you said. I feel like you really get it in all possible senses, and can probably tell that I work with code myself. Just an overall thank you.

Mail_ronandclaudia -- crazy cause right before I came back to see if anything had changed last night, I was battling massive problems with Dropbox!! Unfortunately for this 1password issue, I believe DB was just having some issues last night (for me anyways) since it eventually righted itself without a change in 1passwd. Bummed. But I after reading your post, I almost got out my "I Want To Believe" poster ;)

FortKnox -- even though Goldfinger couldn't breech your walls, I'm afraid I'm right there with you with 1Password. Aaarrgghh is all I can say. It's a devious and unbelievably disruptive bug. I fear it might drive me to an institution before long...

To the agilebits folks-- it was with great delight that I discovered the point update (6.1.1) which said it addressed the crashing immediately after unlock!! And it was with equal frustration and bile (not towards you guys-- more towards the powerlessness of the situation) that right after install, 1Password refused to ask for my TouchID!! Only my Master Password. Regardless of quit via home button press, force quit, or lock from with the 1Pass settings menu. So I force restarted.

Once it rebooted, it asked for my Touch ID every single time, and after accepting my finger print it crashed back to the springboard or whatever it's called. After repeating this behavior about 10 times, unable to get to my passwords, I came here to report that the new build does nothing for me.

Bummer bummer bummer.
    Im sorry to have to report this, but even sorrier to have to continue on with 1password hurting just like it was before 6.1.1

Sorry,
    Oliver

Ps diagnostic report anyone?

• oed
    oed
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, but a bit of light a the end of the tunnel, perhaps?

Possibly due to the fact that I have the PIN code enabled in the Apple Watch section, now with 6.1.1 when TouchID is turned off, the behavior I had expected is happening: upon opening 1Passwd, it asks me for my PIN code, which gets me in not quite at old speeds but it gets me in quicklyish and IT GETS ME IN!! No crashes yet experienced via PIN code with Touch off.

Yes, I am chuffed :chuffed:

Thank you guys!! This, I can work with!
    Cheers,
    Oliver.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@oed: You're very kind. My teammates and I strive to be as awesome as you guys, and it really gets to us when we have a situation like this where both sides are stuck on a problem — you folks suffering and us over here pulling our (proverbial) hair out. And I am SO SORRY that you had that moment due to the release notes. We try to boil things down to a concise description, and of course in this case it was vague enough to give you false hope...

Possibly due to the fact that I have the PIN code enabled in the Apple Watch section, now with 6.1.1 when TouchID is turned off, the behavior I had expected is happening: upon opening 1Passwd, it asks me for my PIN code, which gets me in not quite at old speeds but it gets me in quicklyish and IT GETS ME IN!! No crashes yet experienced via PIN code with Touch off.
    Yes, I am chuffed :chuffed:

And now I am just confused. So you're saying that, with Touch ID disabled, you're being asked for a PIN code in 1Password for iOS...on your iPhone...which has Touch ID? That shouldn't even be possible, so correct me if I've misunderstood.

Thank you guys!! This, I can work with!

I would really love to say "You're welcome!" and cheer for joy here, but it sounds like — although it's more usable for you now — I'm not sure we can hang our hat on this and call it "success".

Ps diagnostic report anyone?

Please! You're happy, and that's great. So there is no way I am going to ask you to fiddle with the settings further. But if you can send a fresh diagnostics report (please add [RPG-45659-914] to the subject), I'd love to compare it to the last one to see if that offers some clue as to what in tarnation is going on with (un)locking. :dizzy:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mail_ronandclaudia: Wow. Such an incredible story! Thanks so much or the update. I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now. I'm only sorry that others are still struggling with this, and that a Dropbox reinstall isn't working for everyone.

@FortKnox: We're not giving up on you guys. Hang in there!

• FortKnox
    FortKnox
    Community Member
    Options

Upgraded to new version and I am still having similar problems as indicated in my earlier posting.

Please advise as soon you can.

Thanks.

• oed
    oed
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty yup you heard correctly! Diagnostic just sent in to default address populated by 'send diagnostic' with [RPG-45659-914] in the subject. Every time I activate 1Passwd I now have the PIN number interface which works (with a slightly longer than normal pause after pin entry). Touch ID is functional everywhere else in the OS and in other apps that use it.

Just heard back from bitbucket: [#YZV-73385-268]

That's just normal diagnostic, btw. No one asked for anything special, but I'd be happy to activate whatever logs you'd like and resubmit-- just let me know...

Cheers,
    Oliver.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FortKnox, We think we've figured out the trouble and are working on fixing the trouble. Thanks for your continued patience :)

@oed, I see that we've been in touch via email! Thanks for taking the time to send in a report. ref: RPG-45659-914

• Chuck1313
    Chuck1313
    Community Member
    Options

Update on my end: when I updated my app on November 12th, I had no issue with TouchID. Today, November 15th, I rebooted my iPhone and TouchID is missing. This happen on my iPhone 6S Plus with latest iOS.

Interestingly, this issue does NOT happen on my iPad Mini 4, running the same version of 1Password (updated on November 12th) and latest iOS. Just rebooted my iPad Mini 4 and it still work.

On my iPhone 6S+, same problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Chuck1313: Yikes. Just to clarify, it sounds like you're not using the beta. 6.1.1 on both devices?

• Chuck1313
    Chuck1313
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@brenty yep, 6.1.1 straight from the App Store for both devices.

I turned on my iPhone this morning and lo and behold, TouchID work again. Not sure what I did, but last night I tried killing the app, rebooting, etc but to no avail.

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Chuck1313,

Well, I am glad that whatever was blocking your Touch ID magically disappeared, although the why and wherefore remain a mystery. For the moment let's assume that this was a one-time glitch. However, if it does reappear again, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Hopefully it won't come to that.

• borgheart
    borgheart
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Ditto here. It's been a month or so since I nagged you but I'm glad to hear its still on your radar. I've reverted to typing in the password every time since the delay, while better, remains after the IOS updates and your updates. Every once in a while I'll try TouchID again and try reinstalling the app but the situation has remained the same for several weeks. I'd be happy to help in any way I can but I'sure you have all the diagnostics you need at this point. I understand the time line for your testing etc. before releasing an attempt at a patch but its amazing that this issue lingers. Must be complicated :-)

Thanks...
    borgheart

• Ben
    Options

Definitely still on the radar. We do believe we have a fix currently in internal testing and hope to make that available soon. It is indeed a complicated issue. :(

Ben

• FortKnox
    FortKnox
    Community Member
    Options

Aleen:

Thank you. Look forward to the fix.

Any idea when we could expect it?

FortKnox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry, but I can't give a timeframe. It's being tested, so if all goes well it should be Soon™...but you never can tell. :dizzy:

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member
    Options

Update: iOS 9.2 does not solved Touch ID problem on iPhone. After what seems an eternity using Touch ID on 1Password us still NOT functional. That's sad.

• Hi,

Thanks for the update. This is a complex issue; however, we are doing a lot of internal testing to figure out what is causing it and how to fix it. It isn't happening on all phones which makes it even more difficult to track down, but this is a top priority and are working very hard to solve this issue.

Regards,
    Kevin

• opus45
    opus45
    Community Member
    Options

I too have experienced the issue of touch-id not giving me access to the 1Password app although all of the settings to do so were correct. The issue has occurred only on my iPad Pro; the app has worked great as usual on my iPhone 6s. After a brief experiment, I got touch-id to work on the app on my iPad Pro also. I turned on the 'Lock on Exit' option In the 1Password security setting. Now it works fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing that! I'm glad to hear that helped in your case.

• Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I never had the problem on my iPhone 6 Plus but when I set up the new iPhone 6 of my girlfriend yesterday, I stumbled upon the here described problem. The option "Touch ID" in the 1Password settings is active but Touch ID is not offered to her when she wants to log in the vault.
    We compared every setting in 1Password and iOS system settings, it's all set exactly to the same values.
    Please keep me in the loop, hope there's a fix for that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sebastian Rasch: We're still trying to see if there's something 1Password can do to reliably help with this, but unfortunately apps don't have much control when it comes to Touch ID. Have you tried disabling Touch ID and restarting the device? Please let me know if that helps! :)

• Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenty, thanks for your answer! Yes I tried that before to no avail but when I just tried it again, it suddenly worked without me having changed anything. However, that was only a one time thing, the next time it wasn't offering Touch ID anymore. Pretty strange.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was excited to hear that...and then dismayed again by the end. I'm sorry that you and others are still having trouble with this. Hopefully we'll have some good news for you soon.

• jomeara
    jomeara
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, happy to say that this issue is now resolved on my iPhone, so this episode is now done for me. Keeping a good thought that it doesn't recur. Just sayin...

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update, @jomeara! If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member
    Options

It was fixed in the last version where you manually could choose Touch ID when it wasn't offered automatically but it seems you removed that feature again in the latest update from today. Why?

• Ben
    Options

@Sebastian Rasch

If you're still having difficulty after updating to 6.4.1 I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Sebastian Rasch
    Sebastian Rasch
    Community Member
    Options

So far, Touch ID only wasn't offered in the latest version when I manually locked 1Password in the app before. I will send you a report if it happens as well when it has been locked automatically (after a certain time or restart of the device).

This discussion has been closed.