Unlock issues: Touch ID missing [under investigation]

Options
124»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Please do! We're here if you need us. :)

• Passwords_Bite
    Passwords_Bite
    Community Member
    Options

SETTING 1PASSWORD TO "LOCK ON EXIT" FIXED THE MISSING TOUCH ID SYMBOL FOR ME!!

The App worked fine on my iPhone 6S+ and my iPad Air 2 but wasn't working on my iPad Pro 12.9". I havent tried to toggle off the "lock on exit", fearing it might break it again.

Thanks OPUS45!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Passwords_Bite,

I’m glad to hear that you’re all sorted out! I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you notice anything else odd, please let us know and we’d be happy to work through it with you. :)

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

So, I have a similar problem. No issues at all, and all of a sudden, the TouchID prompt is gone (only the Master Password), and not even the recent 'override' button to start up TouchID after a reboot, etc.

I've got Lock on Exit on, of course. Toggled it to no change (except it didn't lock). TouchID toggle in 1P doesn't help, either.

I am running the recent 9.3.3 beta, but this did not start when that was loaded. It started today sometime (June 10).
    iPhone 6sPlus, Dropbox, no issues with anything in months and months with 1P (which is 6.4.2, of course).

Suggestions?

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Ugh, false alarm. Don't know if this is well known, but it appears that when in 'low power' 'area' (below 20%, whether you have actually clicked to engage Low Power Mode), TouchID for apps is/may turn off. I was suspicious because another app (ADT Alarm) also lost its TouchID at the same time. Now I've charged back up, re-entered password on that one, it's fine. 1P also seems fine after charging and toggling TouchID switch off/on. Should have known... Need to research this more, and next time, will just recharge.

Am I the only one to not know this? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leesweet: Wow! Thank you for sharing that! I've never heard of Touch ID being affected by Low Power Mode and am not able to reproduce this, and Apple doesn't mention this either. But I'm glad to hear that helped. Perhaps there's a bug in iOS that needs to be addressed, or just a temporary glitch on your device. I'd be interested to know if others are affected, but I'm glad to hear Touch ID working for you again now! :)

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I wasn't in Low Power, as I mentioned, I was pretty sure I dismissed the popup for it. It may have something to do with just low battery. But it's definitely weird; if you folks never heard of it (and I didn't get any real response either way at MacRumors on the beta thread), it's very strange. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if I get more info.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leesweet: Thanks for clarifying. That's definitely not something we've encountered before (though there were a lot of other low power bugs in iOS 9 initially).

If you encounter strange behaviour like this again, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, Crypto, Database, Lock, and UI Lock

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs...but hopefully you won't have any further issues. Cheers! :)

• matthiasmoier
    matthiasmoier
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here (iPhone 6).

When exiting 1Password on iOS and going back, the overlay with the "Touch ID for 1Password" message shows up.

When you then…

• … provide finger print –> works
    • … tap "Cancel" –> Input field "Master Password" and Touch ID button appear.
    • … push the "Home" button –> only the input field "Master Password" appears. (And the Touch ID button cannot be shown again.)

So basically how to reproduce the issue:
    1. Open 1Password on iOS (ensure that Touch ID settings are set).
    2. Exit 1Password.
    3. Go back to 1Password (overlay with "Touch ID for 1Password" is shown).
    4. Push the "Home" button on the iPhone –> only the Master Password field is shown.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    1. Open 1Password on iOS (ensure that Touch ID settings are set).
    2. Exit 1Password.
    3. Go back to 1Password (overlay with "Touch ID for 1Password" is shown).
    4. Push the "Home" button on the iPhone –> only the Master Password field is shown.

@digitalCULT: Thanks for the description! The part that's not clear to me is #2: How did you "exit 1Password"?

In my own experience, what I'm seeing is that pressing the Home button with Touch ID up (which is really hard to do without authenticating on devices like iPhone 6S with the new sensor) dismisses the Touch ID prompt, as it should. However, then the Master Password entry is shown without the icon to invoke Touch ID instead.

Now, given that iOS handles both of these (Touch ID and the Home button), I'm not sure if there's anything we can do here. If iOS is trashing the Keychain entry that allows 1Password to unlock using Touch ID instead of the Master Password when the Home button is pressed, we're out of luck. If that's the case, it will be impossible for 1Password to use Touch ID again until the Master Password is entered successfully. But we'll investigate this further to see if there's something we can do here. :)

ref: OPI-3376

• matthiasmoier
    matthiasmoier
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thank you for the inputs, @brenty .

The part that's not clear to me is #2: How did you "exit 1Password"?

Sorry for being unclear here. "Exit 1Password" = either switch to another app or press the home button while you're in the 1Password app.

In my own experience, what I'm seeing is that pressing the Home button with Touch ID up (which is really hard to do without authenticating on devices like iPhone 6S with the new sensor) dismisses the Touch ID prompt, as it should.

Not on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ ;) The situation usually is, that I had the 1PW app open, then the phone/screen was locked… couple of minutes/hours later, I want to check my mails, unlock the phone and 1PW shows up. Normal reaction: Press the home button to go back to the home screen.

However, then the Master Password entry is shown without the icon to invoke Touch ID instead.

Correct. But there's no way of bringing the Touch ID prompt back. (Which is what's annoying about that :) )

Now, given that iOS handles both of these (Touch ID and the Home button), I'm not sure if there's anything we can do here. If iOS is trashing the Keychain entry that allows 1Password to unlock using Touch ID instead of the Master Password when the Home button is pressed, we're out of luck. If that's the case, it will be impossible for 1Password to use Touch ID again until the Master Password is entered successfully. But we'll investigate this further to see if there's something we can do here. :)

Even if you can't bring it back right away (with the nice little Touch ID button underneath the master password), it is possible to bring the prompt back. One app that does that f.e. is Authy. When Touch ID protection is enabled, the app asks for the Touch ID when it's being opened. When you cancel (no matter if you tap "cancel" or press the home button), only the PIN is available (comparable with the situation we have in 1PW when the home button is pressed and only the master password field is available).

But – when you then leave the Authy app (again: switch to another app or go to the home screen) and switch back to the app again, the prompt is shown again.

Hope this helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Sorry for being unclear here. "Exit 1Password" = either switch to another app or press the home button while you're in the 1Password app.

@digitalCULT: Ah, thank you for clarifying! That had confused me because you mentioned pressing the Home button with the Touch ID prompt for 1Password up in #4.

Not on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ ;) The situation usually is, that I had the 1PW app open, then the phone/screen was locked… couple of minutes/hours later, I want to check my mails, unlock the phone and 1PW shows up. Normal reaction: Press the home button to go back to the home screen.
    Correct. But there's no way of bringing the Touch ID prompt back. (Which is what's annoying about that :) )

That makes sense. We'll see if we can find a solution for this!

Even if you can't bring it back right away (with the nice little Touch ID button underneath the master password), it is possible to bring the prompt back. One app that does that f.e. is Authy. When Touch ID protection is enabled, the app asks for the Touch ID when it's being opened. When you cancel (no matter if you tap "cancel" or press the home button), only the PIN is available (comparable with the situation we have in 1PW when the home button is pressed and only the master password field is available). But – when you then leave the Authy app (again: switch to another app or go to the home screen) and switch back to the app again, the prompt is shown again. Hope this helps.

I was trying to convey this in my previous post, but admittedly I didn't quite hit the mark. The problem is that the Master Password is always needed in order for 1Password to decrypt your data. The only reason that Touch ID can work with 1Password at all is because 1Password stores it (in obfuscated form) in the iOS Keychain [edit: when you enable the Touch ID option]. So what I was saying earlier is that if the problem is that pressing the Home button at the Touch ID prompt causes the entry to be cleared from the Keychain, nothing can simply bring it back. So at that point it will need to be entered before it can be stored in the Keychain again to enable Touch ID. I hope that makes more sense.

• matthiasmoier
    matthiasmoier
    Community Member
    Options

I was trying to convey this in my previous post, but admittedly I didn't quite hit the mark. The problem is that the Master Password is always needed in order for 1Password to decrypt your data. The only reason that Touch ID can work with 1Password at all is because 1Password stores it (in obfuscated form) in the iOS Keychain. So what I was saying earlier is that if the problem is that pressing the Home button at the Touch ID prompt causes the entry to be cleared from the Keychain, nothing can simply bring it back. So at that point it will need to be entered before it can be stored in the Keychain again to enable Touch ID. I hope that makes more sense.

Ah! Sorry, didn't get that first :) Makes sense ;)

So as short recap (for everyone else that runs into the situation I described above):

The situation usually is, that I had the 1PW app open, then the phone/screen was locked… couple of minutes/hours later, I want to check my mails, unlock the phone and 1PW shows up. Normal reaction: Press the home button to go back to the home screen.

If you want to keep the Touch ID prompt/possibility when you exit 1Password from the Touch ID prompt – be sure to tap "cancel" and do not press the home button. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

If you want to keep the Touch ID prompt/possibility when you exit 1Password from the Touch ID prompt – be sure to tap "cancel" and do not press the home button. ;)

@digitalCULT: Yep! That works, or alternatively just unlock it with Touch ID quickly and then switch to another app or the Home screen.

I've done this with both my iPhone 6 and 6S (though the 6S is faster). Since I need my thumb on the Home button anyway (to either tap to go Home, or double tap for multitasking), I just hold it there to authenticate and then I'm ready to go. It just isn't possible to interact with 1Password (or any app, including the App Store) until the Touch ID prompt is dismissed one way or another. :)

This discussion has been closed.