Does 1Password sanction Dashlane using the 1Password iOS extension?

Options
wlburge
wlburge
Community Member

I was recently approached by a member of Dashlane (assuming you are aware of them as a competitor) to convert my 1Password extension icon to an "industry standard" icon to promote an agnostic stance on password managers for my app. I have been using the 1Password extension since it came out with iOS 8 and I love it. I'm very partial to 1Password but I can understand that not all users are. After some initial testing, Dashlane works right out of the box for my app having only implemented the 1Password extension. I'm assuming that either you are using some industry standard callbacks and endpoints or that they have hijacked your endpoints to work along side you.

I'd like some clarification on 1Passwords position on this. I'm using your library and iconography currently in my app. Being open source, my guess is you probably don't care. But before I make any decisions, I'd like to know if this is something you agree with or endorse. The last thing I want is to make some changes and either confuse my users or leave them vulnerable to a misbehaving app. Thanks in advance!

Bill
Simple In/Out

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 1.6
OS Version: iOS 9
Sync Type: n/a
Referrer: kb:ios-extension-integration

Comments

• Hi @wlburge,

We're absolutely okay with any company using our extension, we intentionally made it generic to promote security for all users, not just 1Password users. You can find more here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2014/08/04/filling-with-your-approval-on-1passwords-app-extension-and-ios-8-security/ (Skip down to We’re using a brand-neutral URL scheme on purpose section).

As for the branding, we would prefer Dashlane to get in touch with us to talk about a neutral brand or doing an industry icon, we'd absolutely love to talk to them about this.

It is up to you to decide which icon to go to with but at the moment, I'm not sure what our official stance is on the branding itself, I'll ping the team to follow up here as soon as possible. It might take a while because we're currently under a lot of volume due to the new 1Password 6 for iOS release.

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @wlburge,

I've heard back, it is definitely up to you to choose whichever icon you want but we would recommend using the provided icon to help the users understand what the icon is for. Your feelings are correct, it might get confusing if they're used to seeing the same icon from various apps (we're now in more than 200 apps) and then to see one app showing a completely different icon, it might throw some doubts to what it is for.

• alexisfogel
    alexisfogel
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Mike,

My name is Alexis, I am a co-founder of Dashlane and I lead product there. I just read this thread and I would love to get in touch too. What's the best way to connect?

Thanks,
    Alexis

• Hey Alexis ( @alexisfogel ),

Could you please drop us an email to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to your post ( https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/235043/#Comment_235043 ) and we'll be sure it gets directed to the appropriate folks.

Thanks!

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @alexisfogel,

While AgileBits has your ear, and in the spirit of cooperation, perhaps your team might address the issues I mention here.

• alexisfogel
    alexisfogel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC,

Sure, I will talk with the team about this.

• alexisfogel
    alexisfogel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben (@bwoodruff),

I sent an email to the address you provided but did not get any reply. Any better way to reach out?

Thanks!
    Alexis

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alexisfogel: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll get back to you shortly! :)

ref: PJZ-75476-576

• imzmagic
    imzmagic
    Community Member
    Options

Has any progress been made on the clunky multi-step process required to import Dashlane passwords into 1 Password?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options

@imzmagic,

Dashlane has not updated the software since the 3.2.6 version released July 10th, 2015, so the issues I discovered still remain. Until these issues are resolved, there is little hope of getting a reliable import in an automated fashion. I'm happy to write a converter once Dashlane provides a reliable export.

• imzmagic
    imzmagic
    Community Member
    Options

Mine says version 3.52, but nevertheless I remain disappointed that the back and forth continues without resolution.

• imzmagic
    imzmagic
    Community Member
    Options

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options

@imzmagic,

Have you reported these bugs to Dashlane and asked that they resolve them? Customer feedback is key.

Edit: yes, the Mac version is 3.5.2, also released June 24, 2015.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@imzmagic: Indeed, in spite of MrC's awesome converter (and even more awesome assistance) it simply won't be possible to import properly without properly exported data from Dashlane. :(

This discussion has been closed.