dropbox sync not working

Options

I have 1password loaded on two computers. I have sent the data from first computer to dropbox. I followed directions for dropbox sync but does not work. I have access to dropbox on the second computer but the 1password file does not appear in dropbox. There must be some setting on the second computer that is hiding the link to the vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/new-computer, ug:mac/new-computer-dropbox, kb:move-to-dropbox-disabled, kb-search:connect two computers, kb:dropbox-troubleshooting

Comments

• Hi @tomdoud,

A few suggestions:

1. First, make sure you've installed the regular desktop program of Dropbox from dropbox.com, not the Windows Store version at Microsoft's Windows Store.
    2. When Dropbox is finished syncing and is up to date, it will show a green checkmark on its icon in your bottom right system notification tray, make sure it does on both computers.
    3. Confirm the path to your 1Password folder, open the main 1Password program on the first computer, unlock, and click on the Preferences button on the toolbar. Go to the General tab and look at 1Password Vault field, open that same directory on your second computer, can you see the folder there? If yes, open 1Password, point it to that directory to select the .agilekeychain folder.
    4. If you do not see the directory, do you recall if you turn on selective sync on either computer? Dropbox has a setting to only sync certain folders, not all folders. To rule this out, click on Dropbox in your notification tray on both computers, then click on the gear icon on top right to select Preferences. Go to the Account tab and click on the Selective Sync button to make sure 1Password folder is checked. If you did have to select the folder, wait for Dropbox to finish its sync on both computers before opening 1Password on the second computer.

Let me know if any of these helps.

• tomdoud
    tomdoud
    Community Member
    Options

Mike,

Thanks for the great suggestions but unfortunately they did not help. I still cannot see the vault file. I can see it on the second computer if I go to dropbox on the web but not if I look in my dropbox folder on my computer. When I try #4 it the file doesn't show so I can select 1password. I uninstalled dropbox and downloaded from their website. What is odd is that when I open the 1password and go to preferences it can see the file in dropbox but its grayed out and I can select the "move to dropbox" button.

It seems there is some error in how the dropbox files can appear or not appear. Your suggestions looked great but did not solve. It seems like a dropbox reading error.

Any other suggestions?

I really want to use 1 password but without sharing I would lock my wife out of everything.

Thanks,

Tom

• Hi @tomdoud,

This is confusing. A couple of questions:

1. Are you using the same Dropbox account on both PCs?
    2. What is odd is that when I open the 1password and go to preferences it can see the file in dropbox but its grayed out and I can select the "move to dropbox" button. Do you mean that the button is greyed-out? If the filepath already contains 'Dropbox', then this would be correct.

Thanks!

• tomdoud
    tomdoud
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Yes. I can see the same files from both computers with one exception of course, the 1password file.
    2. Yes the button is greyed out.

So if I open my dropbox folder on my computer -no link but if I go to the same account in my browser, viola there it is. And when I follow advised protocol in preferences I see no logins etc in my vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes. I can see the same files from both computers with one exception of course, the 1password file.

@tomdoud: Unfortunately if Dropbox is not syncing the vault to your computer, 1Password will not be able to access it. It sounds like you're saying this is the case: that you can see the 1Password.agilekeychain on the Dropbox website, but it is sim,ply not present on your computer. Ultimately you may need to contact Dropbox for assistance, as AgileBits can't make data sync from their servers to your hard drive.

But it's important that we make sure that everything else is in order. What is the exact path to your vault shown in 1Password File > Preferences > General on each computer? If both are not pointing to the same vault, you're gonna have a bad time!

Yes the button is greyed out.

The Move to Dropbox button will also be greyed out if there is already a vault with the same name stored in Dropbox. Please check your Dropbox folder in Windows Explorer to see if you have multiple vaults there already. Let me know what you find!

• tomdoud
    tomdoud
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the comments. I was able to resolve this by deleting dropbox and reinstalling several times on all computers. Not sure how it was fixed but working now.

• @tomdoud - we're glad it is now working, thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.