Whenever I start 1Password in Safari a page opens "looking for the 1Password app..."

Options
rsc2
rsc2
Community Member

.. and in the same moment 1Password mini starts. But - I have 1P mini enabled in 1Password all the time! Still it does not run by itself. Also, login pages do not continue though I have "always send" enabled. Thanks for a hint. - The 1Password extension is the latest one, I just reinstalled it from the web page.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Whenever I start 1Password in Safari a page opens "looking for the 1Password extension"

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rsc2,

I'm sorry you're having a little trouble with the 1Password extension and mini!

Just to make sure I understand - it sounds like you open a website in Safari, then click on the 1Password extension (or use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut). When you do that, you see the "Looking for the 1Password app" message, but then 1Password mini launches and the extension fills your login credentials on that site. Is that all correct? If so, does this happen every single time you use 1Password mini/extension, or does it work correctly after the "first" time?

Please also check a setting for 1Password mini by opening the main 1Password app and going to the menu for 1Password > Preferences. Select the General tab, and make sure there's a check mark next to the option for Always keep 1Password mini running.

If that option was disabled, that would explain the problem. But if that option was already enabled, it sounds like something might be blocking the communication (at least temporarily) between the extension and 1Password mini. You can try going through the steps here to see if they help: Troubleshooting communication issues between 1Password and the extension

Please let us know how it goes! If it's still a problem, we'll continue from there.

• rsc2
    rsc2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi and thanks for your message! I tried all the above, including de-installing and installing 1P again, to no avail. The problem is as you described: The first time I launch Safari and try to click on the symbol of the 1P extension, this message page appears and 1P mini will start at the same time - then I will have to confirm "Use in Safari" and everything works until the next reboot. Of course the checkbox in the main application preferences ("...keep mini running") is and remains always checked. Something must have come into the way to prevent it from starting during the boot process, as it should, I assume. I am sure there is no Antivirus software in the way.

Can I add 1P mini manually to the startup items? That might solve it.

The only changes to 1P I made recently was to stop using betas and returning to the released versions (just because the updates kept coming too often). Thanks for your help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rsc2,

Thanks for clarifying - the problem seems to be that 1Password mini doesn't launch automatically when you reboot your Mac, but works correctly once it's running. That helps to narrow things down a bit, so I think we're getting much closer to solving this!

There are a few reasons why something like this might happen. One is that if you explicitly quit 1Password mini before restarting or shutting down your Mac, that can cause it not to open automatically when the Mac restarts. It doesn't sound like you're doing that, but just in case you are, the solution would be to not quit 1Password mini before rebooting/shutting down.

Another potential cause of something like this is if you have multiple copies of 1Password on your Mac. Please take a look at this knowledgebase article for some tips to look for (and remove) extra copies of 1Password, if any exist.

If neither of those is the problem, there's another reason this might happen, which is actually somewhat related to your question:

Can I add 1P mini manually to the startup items?

That's not actually necessary, 1Password mini shouldn't be listed in your Login Items. The Always keep 1Password mini running option works by registering 1Password mini with launchd which is the daemon/agent manager on Mac OS X. If something has gone wrong with that, you should be able to solve the problem by resetting that entry. It's easier than it probably sounds, and you can do that by following these steps:

• Open the 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • On the General tab, uncheck the option for Always keep 1Password mini running.
    • Close the Preferences window, then quit 1Password.
    • A dialog will appear to ask if you want to enable 1Password mini - click the Do not enable button.
    • Open 1Password again, go back to Preferences > General, and re-enable the option to keep 1Password mini running.
    • Quit 1Password again, then reboot your Mac.

If the 1Password mini launchd entry was causing the problem, this should fix it. When your Mac restarts, does 1Password mini launch automatically? If so, you should see it in the menu bar shortly after the reboot is complete. Please let us know how that goes, thanks!

• rsc2
    rsc2
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew, thanks a lot - this becomes embarrassing, because I did all the above and it does
    not make a difference. With this I send you a screen shot of a search window with all the 1Password files that could be found on my computer. Maybe that gives you a hint.
    I additionally updated right now with the "include betas" checked, both the app as well as the browser extension, no result.

Didn't I know it worked before, and that for a long time, I would presume it just doesn't function - but I know it did... Thanks again for you help!

Best regards, Reinhard

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @rsc2,

Drew's steps should have corrected a corrupted launchd entry by forcing a reset there so it's odd.

Can you try something for me please.

1. Reboot your Mac and don't launch 1Password.
    2. Open a Terminal window and paste in the following command launchctl list | grep "agilebits" and press enter. What output is returned?
    3. Open Activity Monitor and in the CPU tab try searching for any loaded and running processes that start with the text 1Password. Typically searching for even 1P narrows it down to just us.
    4. Launch 1Password and then repeat steps 2 & 3.

I can't help but still suspect launchd but it's trying to figure out why the reset steps didn't correct it. Like most issues we face it should just be about discovering that key piece of information.

• rsc2
    rsc2
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there, I did what you suggested, the outcome was as follows:

See picture Terminal 1: No result at all. In Activity Monitor the same.

After restart and launching 1P 5 I see the outcome as in the screenshot "Terminal 2". 1Password ist started and 1P mini at the same time. In Activity Monitor I see under CPU: "1Password mini".

This means, everything has to bee launched manually, and 1P mini launches together with 1P application. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad just to add 1P 5 to my login items after all.

Or, what would happen if I just delete "launchd" and re-install it later?

Regards,

Reinhard

• rsc2
    rsc2
    Community Member
    Options

One more thing. What puzzles me, since I have 1P 5, is the file "1 Password 4 helper". That okay?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

Greetings @rsc2,

The name of that file is okay. When we launched 1Password 4 we did a certain level of renaming because 1Password 4 was so different from 1Password 3. While 1Password 5 has a number of improvements and bug fixes, at the core they're the same so we left the numbering alone. It caused a bit of confusion so maybe it wasn't the best move but that's what we did.

I'm going to message you in a moment with a possible fix to try.

ref: MIZ-46223-981

• rsc2
    rsc2
    Community Member
    Options

Hello everyone,

do you have an idea where the problem might be?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @rsc2,

I emailed you 4 days ago, did you not receive it? It might be worth checking your spam folder just in case. If you can't see it (it will have come from support@agilebits.com) then please do let us know.

• rsc2
    rsc2
    Community Member
    Options

I'm very sorry but I can't find the mail, not even in the deleted/spam folders, whereas any notification from this forum arrives just fine. Would you mind sending it again? Thanks a lot and please excuse me for the trouble.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rsc2,

I'm sorry you didn't get that email from littlebobbytables! I just tried resending that to you (both emails have been sent to the email address associated with your forum account, in case that makes a difference). Are you receiving email notifications when we reply to this forum discussion? If so, you should be able to receive the other emails we've sent you as well.

If you didn't get the new email I sent you a few minutes ago, please make sure you check any junk folders / spam filters to see if it was caught there. Please post something here again if you still don't get it. Thanks!

ref: MIZ-46223-981

• rsc2
    rsc2
    Community Member
    Options

Hello everyone, problem solved, as far as I am concerned :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for reporting back and sorry for the email blip :smile:

This discussion has been closed.