Password generator only using numbers and symbols, no letters

Options
jeffsoptical319
jeffsoptical319
Community Member
edited September 2015 in iOS

I've installed iOS 9 and latest update for 1Password. I gave a 2 star review because something is wrong with the password generator on latest update. The generator is not using the alphabet with upper and lower case characters. The generator only gives numbers and symbols unless I use 20 characters and then maybe a few letters of alphabet. 10 numbers (0-9) isn't as good as 52 characters (A-Z and a-z) for a very strong password. I don't want numbers and symbols only so please fix the latest update.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:Password generator not working correctly , kb-search:Password generator

Comments

• jeffsoptical319
    jeffsoptical319
    Community Member
    Options

I've installed iOS 9 and latest update for 1Password. I gave a 2 star review because something is wrong with the password generator on latest update. The generator is not using the alphabet with upper and lower case characters. The generator only gives numbers and symbols unless I use 20 characters and then maybe a few letters of alphabet. 10 numbers (0-9) isn't as good as 52 characters (A-Z and a-z) for a very strong password. I don't want numbers and symbols only so please fix the latest update.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeffsoptical319,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the password generator! I noticed you posted the same thing in our Mac forums, so I merged that together with your existing post in our iOS forums (since this doesn't seem to be related to the Mac version of 1Password).

So, what you described is definitely not normal behavior, and I haven't heard of this problem happening to anyone else. It seems to be working fine for me, so I'm sure we can get it working correctly for you too. In case you haven't already seen it, this page of our user guide describes and shows how the password generator should work in 1Password 6 for iOS. If what you're seeing doesn't look anything like the screenshots there, please let us know.

Assuming that's what you see when you generate a password, what are your current settings for the Length, Digits, and Symbols sliders? If the total digits and symbols are greater than the length of the password, you won't see any letters. For example, if you have it set to 10 digits and 9 symbols (for a total of 19 digits & symbols), you won't see any letters unless you have the length set to 20 or more characters.

Could that explain why you aren't seeing letters in the password generator? If not, please let us know about your settings there (a screenshot would be great, if possible) and we'll continue from there. Thanks in advance! :)

• jeffsoptical319
    jeffsoptical319
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you I will look into the situation and make sure I'm using the password generator correctly. I believe I understand how many characters I need to use to get letters i.e. I need to use more characters to see the letters in a random password.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jeffsoptical319,

Thanks so much for looking into this for us! Please let us know if you've discovered anything. :)

This discussion has been closed.