Want to export folder and all subfolders to a csv file

Options
glenngrossman
glenngrossman
Community Member

Want to export folder and all subfolders to a csv file. I have a folder with some subfolders and want to create a csv file to export. I seems I have to export 1 subfolder at a time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:exporting folders

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @glenngrossman ,

Can you describe what you are ultimately try to do?

• glenngrossman
    glenngrossman
    Community Member
    Options

No problem Created many folders with subfolders underneath. I just want to export to a csv file one specific folder with all the subfolders to a csv file so that I can create an Excel spreadsheet. I only want to export 1 folder and not all the folders

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@glenngrossman ,

I was hoping to get an understanding of what you were ultimately going to do with that CSV data, as I was wondering if there might be a better way (or any way) to accomplish your end-goal.

The current choice is limited to All Items or the Selected Items, but you can't see sub-folder items when you select a parent folder (as you've discovered).

Be aware, 1Password for Mac does not properly quote exported data via CSV, so entries can / will get botched. I might be able to suggest a better method, depending upon your end goal.

• glenngrossman
    glenngrossman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the quick response. Here is the situation. I create a folder that contains passwords, wireless routers and logins for my client. I have many clients but i need a quick way of creating a list so that I can send it to a specific client. Cutting and pasting will not do as sometimes there are 30-40 password combinations.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@glenngrossman,

Would you be happy with a format like this? It would be an HTML document. It could be formatted differently too, even as CSV.

• glenngrossman
    glenngrossman
    Community Member
    Options

Again, thanks for the quick response. Could you send me instructions on how to accomplish this? Would it work for 1 specific parent folder and subfolders?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options

@glenngrossman ,

That PDF document was produced with the 1PIF converter, part of my 1Password converters. This converter currently is used for creating HTML from the selected (or all) 1Password entries exported. It's output format can be customized fairly easily.

The converter has the ability to specify when run which import items you want to process and which items should be ultimately exported. Thus, you can have it convert all Logins and Wireless Router entries, for example. If the stock 1Password categories are the ones you want to export, then the converter already does what you need. If you need support for addressing your own Folders, I can probably update the converter to provide a new feature which allows you to select by Folder.

• glenngrossman
    glenngrossman
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried exporting 1 record and the username does not make it into the csv file. All other fields do. Any thoughts? Sorry to keep-mailing just trying to get it to work. Thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options

@glenngrossman

Here's a Login record exported to CSV. It has the Username field:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glenngrossman,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty with this! If I understand, you create folders and subfolders in your Primary vault that contain various items for your clients, and you need an easy way to share all those items with those clients. Is that correct? If so, and if your clients are also using 1Password, it would probably be much easier to use multiple vaults for that, instead of folders inside your Primary vault. You could create a new vault for a client, copy or move the items for that client to that vault, then share that vault with the client via Dropbox.

If that doesn't help and you'd like to continue figuring out the export, I'm sure MrC will be happy to continue helping you with that. Just let us know, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.