The article only give explanations on how to sync with OPvault on Mac

Options

The article on how to shift sync to OPvault says that it can be done with 1password for Windows. However, the explanation given is only for MacOS.

How can I do this on Windows 8.1?

Thanks

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585(12)
Extension Version: 4.4.2 (Firefox)
OS Version: 6.2.9200
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: kb:agile-keychain-design, kb:opvault-overview, kb:switch-to-opvault

Comments

• Hi @pir2,

Is there a specific reason you'd like to switch to opvault right now? Are you syncing your 1Password data to any other devices beside this Windows 8.1 PC?

Basically, you just export from the current vault and import into the opvault vault, which you can create via the File Menu > New 1Password Vault and selecting the Save As Type > 1Password Vault (*.opvault).

• pir2
    pir2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike, thanks a lot for your answer.

Yes, the specific reason is that the current vault keeps a catalog in clear on my hard drive. Even if IDs and PWs are encrypted, that's clearly not good enough and I was a little taken aback by the fact that anyone looking could actually know which sites I am a member of.

This has been downplayed by other posters, but it could actually have wide ranging consequences: financial (disclosing how many banks someone has accounts in), personal (outing one's sexual orientation), health related (revealing a health issue through support group memberships...) and more. It is actually a pretty major lapse which -I feel- AgileBits should be warning its users about.

I understood from other articles that Opvault encrypts everything and plugs this loophole.

But why are you asking? Is there a downside to shifting to opvault?

• Hi @pir2,

I was a little taken aback by the fact that anyone looking could actually know which sites I am a member of.

We do understand, which is why we're taking the time to encrypt more of the metadata in the opvault format as well as restructuring the programs to keep everything encrypted by default.

In addition, I would recommend using the private browsing mode in your browser all the time (browsers keep the same amount of information in clear text) and you might want to disable the Rich Icons feature in 1Password as well since that requires 1Password to check against our image service to find an icon for your site.

But why are you asking? Is there a downside to shifting to opvault?

Not all apps support it right now, like the Android app. That's why I was asking about other devices you have that you want to sync with 1Password, you won't be able to use it on all platforms.

• pir2
    pir2
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Mike,

Thanks again for your very complete answers and thanks for the additional tips. In understand this is all a (good) work in progress. Opvault not being supported by all apps is indeed significant. One last question: is opvault supported by the iOS app?

• pir2
    pir2
    Community Member
    Options

(I sync with dropbox as -if I am correct- this is the only way to efficiently sync 1password with a windows computer)

• Hi @pir2,

is opvault supported by the iOS app?

Yes, as long as you're using the latest version available, it is compatible in 1Password 5 or later versions.

(I sync with dropbox as -if I am correct- this is the only way to efficiently sync 1Password with a windows computer)

That is correct, it's the most automatic sync solution we have for all platforms that 1Password is on.

We might expand it to include iCloud support in the future if Apple's upcoming CloudKit Web Services APIs will work for us on Windows.

For now, 1Password for Windows and iOS in your setup will work with OPvault files. We do also support Wi-Fi sync if you want to use that but it is a bit more hassle to use compared to Dropbox. You can find the guides for both Dropbox and/or Wi-Fi below:

1. Dropbox: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/setting-up-dropbox-sync
    2. Wi-Fi: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/syncing-over-wi-fi
  • pir2
    pir2
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot ! All clear now.

• @pir2 - on behalf of @Mike - you are very welcome.

This discussion has been closed.