How to generate a new password for an existing account

Hello,

I have some logins to Unix machines stored as Account entries in 1Password for Windows. When it is necessary to change the password, a new one can easyly generated with the iPad, iPhone or Mac application. There is a "generate" button when you edit the account. For Logins it is possible to generate a new password by double clicking on the entry list.

How do I generate a new password for an existing Account with 1Password for Windows?

Best regards,
Friedel

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Friedel, welcome to the forum!

For the recommended usage, please see How do I create a strong password?, which also points you to How do I use a generated password? (both in the FAQ section of the user's guide).

Note the tip about toggling the Generated Passwords command on the View menu, so you can see the Password command on the File > New Item menu.
  • Ok ,thank you for reply ,very useful for me.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    geoa wrote:

Ok ,thank you for reply ,very useful for me.

Welcome to the forum, geoa!

I'm glad that helped.
  • The FAQ articles are good, but cover not my problem. Generating new passwords or changing passwords for existing Web logins is easy.
    But I'm talking about Unix accounts used on another physical machine (w/o 1Password integrated in the login window) or a ssh terminal window.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    I think I understand, Friedel.

Any time you need a strong password, just use the Strong Password Generator to create it, copy it to the Clipboard, go to whatever interface you use to change the password, enter your old password in the appropriate field, paste the new password into the appropriate fields, and submit the change.

Worst case, if you can't paste into the change-password interface, you'd have to have the new password displayed and visible in 1Password in one window while you carefully type it into another window.

Don't forget to toggle the Generated Passwords command on the View menu, so you can see the Password command on the File > New Item menu.

I hope that helps, Friedel.
This discussion has been closed.