Does 1Password work with El Capitan?

Options
andrewn51
andrewn51
Community Member
edited September 2015 in Mac

I loaded the beta version of El Capitan and 1Password does not load or connect to IPassword Mini - what is the status with El Capitan compatibility?
Thanks,
Andrew

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:el capitan

Comments

• Hey @andrewn51! What beta of 10.11 are you on? The Gold Master release is currently the latest, and I've tested all the apps on that. Everything works as it should without 1Password being in beta. Also, what version of 1Password are you using? That'll give a bit of a clue as to what may be happening. :)

• andrewn51
    andrewn51
    Community Member
    Options

El Cap 10.11.1 and 1Password 5.3
    Does that help?

• @andrewn51 Hmm, I haven't tested that build personally. We'll have to wait for the Agile Jedi to pop in here and chime in. One of them might be sailing the waves of Beta. Sorry I couldn't help!

• andrewn51
    andrewn51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks...someone told me today that it's not wise to be an early adopter!!

• @andrewn51 Some people say YOLO regarding early adoption, and others say early adoption leads to a shorter one life. I prefer to remain oblivious haha.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andrewn51,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password on El Capitan! As far as early adoption goes, brand new (stable release) versions of operating systems sometimes have a few wrinkles that need ironing, although I usually find the risk is relatively minimal. On the other hand, beta versions of operating systems are unfinished/incomplete and there are more risks involved there. We have more information in this post on our blog, which you might find interesting: Adventures in beta testing: 1Password, El Capitan, and iOS 9

Now, El Capitan is in the final stages before being officially released to everyone, but it's still a beta. If you need/want to try a beta OS, I always recommend installing it on a secondary/test machine instead of your primary one, in case something goes wrong (and of course, always make sure you have a backup of your Mac).

Having said all that, I haven't heard of major issues with 1Password 5 on El Capitan that would cause problems like you mentioned, so I think we should be able to help you get things working again. Can you please let us know a little more about the issue(s)? What are the exact steps you're taking, and what happens when you do that? If you get any error messages, what do they say? Once we know more about what's happening on your end, we should have a much better idea of how to help you get things working again.

Thanks in advance! :)

• andrewn51
    andrewn51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help...

I have 1Password 5.3 installed on my laptop with EC 1.11.1 beta.

When I install the browser extension (Chrome) I get a message "Looking for 1Password App - the 1 Password App must be installed for the extension to work properly. Then a second window with try again or get the app.

Neither of these buttons help...Try again results in 1Password failed to connect to 1 Password Mini...press restart 1 Password. That doesn't resolve it.

I have tried reinstalling version 5.3 ...same problem.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @andrewn51,

I have a couple of questions.

1. Does the main 1Password application successfully launch and unlock?
    2. From any application, say Mail or Contacts in focus, does the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ open the 1Password mini menu?

If the answer to both is yes then it would seem that 1Password is working and the issue is something is blocking communication between the extension and 1Password mini. Do you run any third party firewalls, anti-virus software, parental control software or make use of a VPN or proxy? Another thing to check is if Chrome itself has a pending update as that is known to break communication between an already installed 1Password extension and 1Password mini but I don't know if it's any different if the update is pending when you're trying to install the extension.

So there are a couple of things to check and with a little luck we'll learn something from the answers :smile:

• andrewn51
    andrewn51
    Community Member
    Options

The answer to both is no. I get an unresponsive/force quit situation on the 5.3.2 launch.
    Thanks
    Andrew

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @andrewn51,

So 1Password won't launch at all. That would certainly explain the extension at least.

So you said you tried reinstalling, did the steps these steps?

1. Drag the 1Password application from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash. Please don't use an app cleaner.
    2. Reboot your Mac.
    3. Download 1Password again from our AgileBits Download page and place it in your /Applications/ folder.

If that doesn't work it might be worth checking out a diagnostic report and see if that highlights anything.

I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• krc
    krc
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded today from 1password4 to 5.3.2. I am using OSX 10.11.1 (yes, GM updated!). When starting 5.3.2, the menu appears but the beachball rolls until message appears saying cannot start mini-player. I followed each of the 3 steps under More Details several times without success. I downloaded latest Beta42 but same problem

1Password Version: 5.3.2
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini

• krc
    krc
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same problem about 1password app not starting on 10.11.1. You said not to use an App Cleaner to remove current version and redownload. But I already used an App Cleaner before reading this! Grateful for more help please. Thanks.

• andrewn51
    andrewn51
    Community Member
    Options

Tried the app removal/reinstall - no effect, same problem. Just sent the diagnostic report as requested.

Sort of comforting to know it's not just me!!!
    Andrew

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @krc and @andrewn51,

@andrewn51, thank you for sending in the diagnostic report. I think the same solution will likely apply to both of you so I'm posting it here rather than following the convention of responding to you directly via email. I'm only doing this as the fix is relatively simple and you definitely can't do any damage.

So the first step is to open a Terminal window.

In there paste the following command, xattr /Applications/1Password\ 5.app and press enter.

Does this output the following result com.apple.quarantine

I believe it will. You know when you download an application from the internet and OS X asks if you're sure you really want to run it? that's because of this quarantine flag. Now something has gone wrong if you can see that flag because that's up to OS X to ask and remove it. If you see that flag the following command will remove it and I believe it will allow 1Password to now launch. The command is:

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app

Does this allow 1Password to once again work?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I should state, all of that does assume you keep a single copy of 1Password 5 in your /Applications/ folder. If you have renamed it, keep it somewhere else then it will fail. We do recommend keeping only a single copy of the application and keeping it in that folder. Then all of the above should resolve the issue.

• andrewn51
    andrewn51
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Still doesn't work...here's the terminal result;

Last login: Mon Sep 21 18:28:33 on console
    MacBook-Pro:~ andrew$ xattr /Applications/1Password\ 5.app
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app
    MacBook-Pro:~ andrew$ xattr /Applications/1Password\ 5.app
    com.apple.quarantine
    MacBook-Pro:~ andrew$ xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/AgileLibrary-Mac.framework/AgileLibrary
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordCore-Mac.framework/OnePasswordCore
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordDatabase-Mac.framework/OnePasswordDatabase
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordDataModel-Mac.framework/OnePasswordDataModel
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordUI-Mac.framework/OnePasswordUI
    MacBook-Pro:~ andrew$ xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/AgileLibrary-Mac.framework/AgileLibrary
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordCore-Mac.framework/OnePasswordCore
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordDatabase-Mac.framework/OnePasswordDatabase
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordDataModel-Mac.framework/OnePasswordDataModel
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordUI-Mac.framework/OnePasswordUI
    MacBook-Pro:~ andrew$ 

Also please note the unzipped app file from your downloads is labelled 1 Password 5 3.app - I renamed it to 1 password 5.app and ran the cmd - still doesn't work

Andrew

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @andrewn51,

I've just emailed you with a couple of steps and a request for a new diagnostic report following that. We'll continue this over email now.

ref: ZRG-97225-341

• riceiceice
    riceiceice
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I am having the same issue. Do you have any idea what I can do to make it work properly?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @riceiceice,

Can you provide us with more details about the issue you're having with 1Password? At least two different ones are mentioned in this thread and suggestions for resolving them can differ. :)

Have you already tried anything that's been suggested? Also, which version of OS X are you running and which specific version of 1Password?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

• bruceatk
    bruceatk
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I have sent an e-mail with my diagnostics.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bruceatk,

We've received your email with the diagnostics; thanks for sending that.

Can you generally describe changes you made on your Mac between the time 1Password was last working properly and when it started misbehaving with 1Password failed to connect to 1Password Mini error? For example, maybe 1Password was working fine with Yosemite, you upgraded to El Capitan, and 1Password hasn't worked at all after that. And maybe you updated and/or reinstalled 1Password as well.

We'd appreciate as many details about this as you can provide. Thanks!

ref: CRA-95343-862

• bruceatk
    bruceatk
    Community Member
    Options

1Password has worked fine for me since the day I first installed it. This morning I installed the GM of El Capitan. I went to use it and it didn't work. I went to the support forum and followed the advice. That included uninstalling it, rebooting, downloading and installing a new version (the same version that I already had). Same results. Using the XATTR command. I then downloaded and tried the beta. Same results. I tried again with the the latest released version (the same version I started with). I then downloaded the diagnostic tool, sent the results. I also tried the other options within that tool and still can't launch it.

I haven't been able to launch it since I upgraded to El Capitan.

• bruceatk
    bruceatk
    Community Member
    Options

With me it is definitely something user related. I tried logging in with my Admin account and I can start 1Password with the Admin using the same dropbox account for my vault. Logging off and back on with ay real user account leaves me with the problem of not being able to start 1Password.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that useful information, @bruceatk. :+1:

We'll continue troubleshooting this through email now, where I see that Andrew has already replied to you. I've added the details you've posted here to the support ticket for Andrew to see there.

• bruceatk
    bruceatk
    Community Member
    Options

I created a new user and it could run 1Password. Since I have my vault in DropBox, I figured there must be a way to completely clean my existing user, so I used CleanMyMac (even though I know you say not to do that). I had it uninstall 1Password. I then made sure there weren't any agile or 1Password items in my ~/Library folders.

I rebooted and re-installed 1Password. It now works for the user that was having a problem. I am now working fine. I would love to know what the problem was, but it must be something in the ~/Library folders that gets messed up during the El Capitan upgrade.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @bruceatk, thanks for following up to let us know! I'll add a note to your email thread to let Andrew know about that. I'm afraid I don't know what was causing the problem for you, but if you have further questions about that, it's probably best to reply to the email thread in case we need a new diagnostics report. We're here for you if you have other questions or need anything else! :)

For anyone else who might be reading this: The main reason we advise against using any app cleaning tools to uninstall the 1Password app is because there's a chance they can delete critical files like your 1Password license, backups files, or even your current 1Password vault. Even if you have a backup of your 1Password data somewhere else, it's best not to take chances. If you need help to solve a similar problem, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to help! :)

• bruceatk
    bruceatk
    Community Member
    Options

One of the things that was deleted was the license. I have my license in my vault and I have several backups of my vault. I also have several backups of my drive. I wouldn't delete anything if I didn't have a couple of backups of everything.

I would also caution anyone deleting things in their ~/Library folder to be careful to not delete files that are unrelated to the product that you are cleaning up. You may break other applications while you are doing it.

So far besides TotalFinder not working without turning off SIP this is the only issue that I have had with my El Capitan upgrade.

I also didn't realize how much I have grown to depend on 1Password. I can't live without it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional details, @bruceatk! It certainly sounds like you were prepared before trying that. As far as the license goes, fortunately that's something that can be re-downloaded from us if necessary (unlike the other data in your 1Password vault). You have multiple backups, but just in case you ever need to have your license info resent to your email, you can do that from the bottom of this support site.

I would also caution anyone deleting things in their ~/Library folder to be careful to not delete files that are unrelated to the product that you are cleaning up. You may break other applications while you are doing it.

Excellent advice, I couldn't have said it better myself!

I also didn't realize how much I have grown to depend on 1Password. I can't live without it.

I'm glad it's such a useful and important tool for you! I feel the same way. :)

• mandolinda
    mandolinda
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, I installed EC 11 (sans the .1) which Apple released yesterday (9-30-15), and at first the 1Password Mini didn't launch. When I launched the 1Password app from the Applications folder, the Mini mysteriously reappeared in my menu bar. As I say when playing pool: It's slop, but I'll take it. So relieved that 1Password works; I could not survive without it. Thanks, AgileBits!

• peteraltschuler
    peteraltschuler
    Community Member
    Options

I've done everything that's been suggested by AgileBits, and no one should have to make such a concerted effort to get an application to function... especially software that's so critical to seamless and secure operations. It is inconceivable that more effort wasn't made to ensure a smooth transition to the new OS, and it gives me serious concerns about continuing to use 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.