I haven't been here in a while because everything is working so well

Options
RichBT
RichBT
Community Member

Several years and several versions of 1Password ago I purchased a family license and have keep it updated, paying for upgrades as necessary. There have been some problems along the way but overall this has been an excellent investment in security and peace of mind.

Currently we a have household of 3 Macs and multiple iDevices. My perception is that your coding has tightened up recently, that you've really been on top of the software engineering. Things are rock solid. I think it may help that we have finally gotten all the hardware to the point where everything is running the latest Apple OSes (iOS 9.0.1 and OS X 10.10.5). (I follow Brian Kreb's three rules for online safety: if you didn't look for it don't install it, if you did look for it keep it updated, if you don't use it delete it.)

I recently ran a Security Audit on my 1Password database, eliminating duplicates and changing weak passwords or ones that might be at risk. Very useful. My only quibble is that very rarely did 1Password prompt me to update the existing password entry, so most of the time I had to go update it manually (how to do that is clearly explained in the documentation). Not a big deal; I know that websites are programmed in an amazingly diverse, sometimes truly bizarre, variety of ways so this is a hard problem.

I know you folks spend all your time troubleshooting and dealing with problems, so I just wanted to say: No problems here! Thanks.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3 (Safari), 4.4.3.90 (Chrome), 4.4.3 (Firefox)
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RichBT,

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to post such nice comments! We truly love to receive feedback like this from our customers, and I will make sure to forward this to everyone else here. I'm sure everyone here will agree that hearing about positive experiences like yours is a huge part of why we love our jobs. We want our customers to enjoy using 1Password as much as we love making & supporting it, and we wouldn't be where we are today without awesome users such as yourself! :)

Now, about 1Password not prompting you to update your Login items when you change passwords - although it's true that some websites work in strange ways that prevent 1Password from detecting a password change, it sounds like you've actually run into a bug in the current version of the 1Password extension. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience!

However, I have some good news - that bug has been fixed in the latest 1Password extension beta. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the fix should be included in the next regular update for the extension. I don't have a timeframe for that, but in the meantime, if you'd like to install the beta extension, just follow these steps:

If you don't want to install the beta extension, there's another workaround: Instead of clicking the Fill button in the password generator, you can highlight the generated password and then copy & paste it into the change password form. When you submit that form, 1Password should prompt you to update the Login item. If you need any help with that, please let us know.

Thanks again for the kind words, we sincerely appreciate it! We're here for you if you ever need anything else. :)

• RichBT
    RichBT
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG,

Thanks for the workaround to get 1Password to prompt to update Login items.

As a manager I knew used to quip: if software is soft, how come it breaks so easily?

Happy bug hunting and troubleshooting.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

LOL, that's a great quote! :lol: I also liked your quote of Brian Kreb's three rules for online safety, I'm not sure if I had heard that before. Sounds like some good advice!

Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.