Issues syncing my iPhone to my MacPro work station.

Options
gweep
gweep
Community Member
edited September 2015 in Mac

Too much focus on iCloud, Dropbox, and Wi-Fi.... I'm using a folder.

My primary Mac is a MacPro5,1 running 10.10.5. It is hard connected to the internet via a ethernet cable. I am running 1Password 5.3. My primary vault is stored on a local Folder which is redundantly backed up by Time Machine and a NAS. I do not/will not use iCloud or DropBox for file storage.

My iPhone 6 is running iOS 8.3 with the latest version of 1Password (v5.5 for iOS 8.3).

1Password on my phone only offers sync options for Wi-Fi, iCloud and DropBox. There is no selectable sync option for a Folder (presumably via a USB cable just like in the old days). I can sync via Wi-Fi, but my head is spinning here... I have a hard network connection AND Wi-Fi turned on at the same time! Not my preferred operating mode.

How come I can't simply plug the phone into the computer via USB to sync? It gets plugged in every night for charging anyway.

When my devices do sync, I notice that my devices do not show up in the left hand side bar when they are syncing. Version 3.8 let me keep track of which of my devices had been synchronized recently... a very nice feature. Is that feature gone?

(I just upgraded to 1Password 5.5 from 3.8. I note that I had to go to the iTunes App store to get the latest version for my iPhone. My old version did not upgrade automatically. Now I have both versions of the app on my iPhone. I assume they are using separate databases. Any risk of keeping the old version around for a while until I'm sure everything is working properly?)

thanks
Mike

1Password Version: 5.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Folder.... Read the post.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @gweep,

A lot changed in iTunes and while I wasn't part of the team at the time, my understanding is using iTunes as a go between just wasn't maintainable for whatever reason. Now despite the misleading title, you don't need the Wi-Fi adaptor to be enabled on the Mac Pro for Wi-Fi Sync, all it needs is for the Mac and iOS device to be on the same subnet. We call it Wi-Fi Sync as somewhere in the chain there will need to be wireless given an iOS device is the client. So whether you're creating an ad-hoc network between your Mac and iOS device or you're using an ethernet cable for the Mac Pro and wireless for the iOS device but with both connected to the same modem/router - it doesn't matter. It is important that they're on the same subnet though as we use Bonjour for device discovery.

So a hard-wired Mac Pro and iOS device should be able to use Wi-Fi Sync for local, non-cloud sync.

The nice feature of a sync history has departed. Now in 1Password 4 a number of features were originally missing and some eventually returned, some changed dramatically when they did. I think this is the first request I've seen asking about it's missing status so I'm not sure how many people found it vital but I can make a request to see it reintroduced, I just can't say if or when it might happen. I'd actually forgotten 1Password 3 did that and I was a Wi-Fi Sync person myself (still am). If you feel strongly though I can certainly make sure there's a record of your request :smile:

As for 1Password for iOS. The reason it didn't upgrade automatically was 1Password 4, on both platforms, was a paid for upgrade. In iTunes the way that works is the old version is discontinued and the new one introduced to the store. iTunes though only updates for the exact same app. Now I was merely a user at the time and I can't remember how they notified us of the new versions. I knew about 1Password 4 when it happened so maybe I was signed up to a newsletter or maybe I read about it on one of the tech news sites that tend to report these sorts of things. That's why it didn't update automatically though. What you will have downloaded will have been the basic (and free) version of 1Password for iOS. Certain features are now hidden behind a one-off, in-app purchase and you can learn more about that on our Pro Features FAQ (iOS) page. You can certainly keep the old one around I still have it kicking around for troubleshooting reasons. The only thing is I think it does ask if I want to migrate my data a lot but you can tell it to stop bothering you. Please be careful though as the two do maintain independent databases given this is iOS and getting modified data out of 1Password 3 for iOS will involve a bit of faffing about which I'm sure you'd prefer to avoid. The two can be run in tandem though if you want to keep it as a safety net.

If you're new to 1Password 6 one thing I really recommend checking out is our still pretty new iOS 1Password Safari Extension. It's one of the big changes that I personally love to bits. The ability to interact with Safari is just too handy.

I hope that was of some use but please do post back if you feel anything needs expanding on or it resulted in further questions, we're here to help :smile:

• gweep
    gweep
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to hear I can turn off the Wi-Fi on my hard wired MacPro. Syncing works perfectly. I recommend elaborating on the "within the same network" feature of Wi-Fi sync. It really is a very inclusive "Network" sync. Wi-Fi only because that is how iOS gets into the network.

I tried to sync while away from the house but still connected via VPN. Did not sync. Is that because sync depends on Bonjour? I have home automation apps that will turn my lights on and off through the VPN. I assumed that 1Password would support a VPN connection as well.

Since I discovered that 1Password for iOS syncs every time you open it, (a great feature), I can understand that the sync history was dropped.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gweep,

I tried to sync while away from the house but still connected via VPN. Did not sync. Is that because sync depends on Bonjour?

That's exactly correct - the Wi-Fi Sync feature in 1Password uses Bonjour for network discovery, and that won't work over VPN.

Sorry for any confusion about that! We're here for you if you have more questions or need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.