Firefox 5 Support

Is there work being done on getting an update for Firefox 5 that just was released. The current working Firefox 4 extension did not work after upgrading. Help Please..

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Canonman11!

I'm really sorry to hear you're missing 1Password in the Firefox 5 beta version. Unfortunately, 1Password doesn't support this newer version of the browser at this time. We have had access to the Firefox 5 beta version as long as anyone else (meaning: they don't send us copies before their general release), and it appears to have changed the way that extensions are built and/or loaded. We will have to look into this new version and see what we can do. Because of existing commitments we don't have an estimate on when this work may take place, or on when a replacement extension can be made available, but this is certainly on our radar! :-)
  • AltmanSoftware
    AltmanSoftware
    Community Member
    Granted FF5 is still in beta; just curious if there was any word on a FF5 compatible extension?

(Just shows you how indispensable 1Pwd is!)

Thanks.

• Granted FF5 is still in beta; just curious if there was any word on a FF5 compatible extension?

(Just shows you how indispensable 1Pwd is!)

Thanks.

Hello AltmanSoftware,

The latest I've heard regarding FF5 is from this link: Firefox 5 Support

I know there has been some other discussions in the Forums, but at this time, that's all I know.

Sorry I couldn't offer more insight.

Brandt
  • jim.7707
    jim.7707
    Community Member
    I'll add another vote for FF 5 extension support. I would like to update to FF 5.0 beta but until the extension is released I will have to stick with FF 4.0x.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Jim! Thanks for the vote. :-)
  • b40 and still no Firefox 5 support? The final release is due in less than 3 weeks (June 21, a Firefox dev in some other part of this forum said this is a set date, no delay), will it work by then? Also Firefox 6 will move into beta in early July. I understand you're working on Lion and Safari for Lion, but I will assume these will be released after June 21?

Thanks.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I don't have anything more to announce at this time, but the developers are working very hard on all the extensions.

Thanks for your patience and support!
  • Hi,
    Thanks for your input on the status. I am a loyal 1password fan/user for a while now, and I have peen patiently waiting and monitoring, and checking my 1Password updates every day HOPING for an update to the 1P betas, but nothing yet.

I was suprised to see how fast you updated Lion/Safari!!

For what it's worth, I would like to provide you this feedback. I have gone so far as to look at other password saving solutions for Firefox, since you seem to be so slow to update the FF extension, which, on every FF update seems to break.

1. Don't wait so long to inform your loyal community, seems like there was very little information on the 1P FF5 and FF6 Beta/Alpha status until just recently, and they have been around for a while. Maybe it would be worth starting a thread on the forums yourself and keep us up to date, instead of waiting for us to ask.

2. Seems Firefox is accelerating/changing the new release cycle, as we all know, so maybe it would be better for you to be slightly proactive and plan for quick fixes to keep us up and running.

3. If 1P works on Chrome (even Canary) and Lion-Safari, which isn't even widely available, shouldn't you update FF, a major platform with a little higher priority?

Thanks for listening. I know you are working on it, and you have a great product, but... come on, how about some love for those of us who use bleeding edge FF?

dbw77
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Welcome to the forums, dbw77! Thanks for you very kind words about 1Password. :-D

I was suprised to see how fast you updated Lion/Safari!!

I certainly don't want to downplay our agility here, but initial support for Safari 5.1 in Lion took much longer to develop than Firefox 5 has taken at this point. It required a complete rewrite of the extension which actually began months and months in advance. It is not quite fair to Mozilla to make this comparison. :-)

Please keep in mind that Firefox 5 is still in beta and while we are always excited to support beta, alpha, and "bleeding edge crazy" browsers, much of that is a result of little to no changes in the browser which require a complete rewrite/recompile/etc. Chrome is a great example of this. The Chrome extension often breaks in channels other than stable (beta, dev, etc.) but we continue to focus our development efforts on the stable version (while looking ahead to see what will soon become the next stable version). Often, 1Password "just works" in Chrome's beta/dev/canary channels, but this is not usually a results of specific targeted development. Sometimes we all just get lucky. Beta/dev/alpha/crazy builds are not meant for daily use but for developers. 1Password works great in the latest stable version of all major browsers and even supports some more (like Safari 5.1) in addition. ;-)

Mozilla has only recently shifted their development cycles for Firefox to a pace similar to Google's with Chrome. There are some changes we need to make in our own development cycle to better accommodate this, but Mozilla is likely going to be changing fewer things between releases with the new development cycle. So the upshot is that while we are in a transition period right now, future Firefox releases may very well be support much more quickly once everything is adjusted. The timing wasn't ideal with WWDC fast approaching and Lion support being such a high priority, but we are trying to squeeze it all in (while still spending time with our families who miss us sometimes).

With regard to communication, there is always room for improvement! We have had many discussions about this internally. That being said, we did comment on the Firefox 5 beta the day it was released. Please see the thread in the beta forums which I linked to in my post above. Most of the discussion surrounding Firefox 5 has taken place in that thread since it is in the beta forums. I only left this thread in the "stable" forums so folks not in 1Password's beta channel would see it here as well. Maybe I need to merge them and keep it all in the beta forums. :lol:

I hope that helps explain the situation a bit better. We really appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,
  • dbw77
    edited June 2011
    Thank you so mush for replying so quickly, or should I say in such an "agile" way :)
    Anyway, just a fre words:

I typically search for this info using Google, i.e. "1Password Firefox 5" and I was having a hard time finding anything, I did stumble upon the thread you mentioned, but it seemed like it was lacking in feedback from you on status/progress, i.e. details. I think the details you mentioned here helped me understand the process better. (I know, my search challenges aren't your issue :) )

Also, I appreciate your input on the work behind the various releases, and this is the type of communication that helps users like me, and I am sure there are others, understand what's going on .. that doesn't mean we don't want it faster :)

Also, very much understood re: lion/wwdc, of course we want Lion support and amazing new features as well...

Thanks for your reply and keep up the good work

dbw77
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I am glad I was able to help! We really do care about our customers, and it breaks my heart to know you may not feel that way (if even for a moment). Thanks for being part of the AgileBits family. Your passion here is not falling on deaf ears (or blind eyes as the case may be). :-)
  • one more user asking for ff5 support ...
  • nope wrote:

one more user asking for ff5 support ...

Hello nope and welcome to the Forums!

Thanks for voting with your fingers! Your vote has been tallied

Cheers!

Brandt
  • sleepdoc
    sleepdoc
    Community Member
    Firefox 5 is NOT in beta anymore. When can we expect Agile to get a fix so we can use it for Macs?
  • sleepdoc wrote:

Firefox 5 is NOT in beta anymore. When can we expect Agile to get a fix so we can use it for Macs?

That's funny, because it's still showing on the Beta Channel, and if you go to the download link for FF Beta, the verison is 5.0b3

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/channel/

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-5.0b3&os=osx&lang=en-US

What makes it not in Beta?
  • Ward
    Ward
    Community Member
    dbw77 wrote:

That's funny, because it's still showing on the Beta Channel, and if you go to the download link for FF Beta, the verison is 5.0b3

And the Mozilla (Firefox) home page offers a 4.0.1 download.

-- Ward
  • We haven't forgotten about this. As far as I know Firefox 5 is still in beta.
  • sleepdoc
    sleepdoc
    Community Member
    If you go to Firefox on the upper toolbar and hit "about" you will see that it is Firefox 5 Release. NOT BETA!!!!
    You need to download it and see. Do not go by their forum.
  • sleepdoc wrote:

If you go to Firefox on the upper toolbar and hit "about" you will see that it is Firefox 5 Release. NOT BETA!!!!

That's not the status, thats the channel you can update from you can use the Release or Beta Channel. If you are on the Release channel you will not get any 5.0 beta updates. This doesn't indicate the status of the release and 5.0 is beta it has not been released yet.

They are slated to release 5.0 on June 21. By the way, there also is Aurora, which is the alpha channel, which you can also change the update channel. That's not released either, and doesn't work with 1P
  • bswins
    edited June 2011
    dbw77 wrote:

They are slated to release 5.0 on June 21.

You are correct dbw77!

Thank you for posting.

However, don't take AgileBits' word for it. Check out the following link and read it from someone who works for Mozilla: Firefox 5 Release

Regardless, it is known that many members are anxious for Firefox 5 support. I do not have any details on timing, but please know that your voices have been heard loud and clear. Stay tuned.
  • 10 whole days til Firefox 5 release.... yeah just a reminder.
  • Thanks for the reminder. :)

I've set up a countdown on my iPhone.

Stay tuned!

• As a user of 1P and FF, I think it's reasonable to expect that you will have an updated version for a major browser like FF5 when it comes out of beta (on June 21st, as I understand it). An earlier release of a compatible extension is a bonus, much appreciated. Any delay after the official FF5 release is a disappointment.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Agreed, David. Thanks for your feedback!
  • sleepdoc wrote:

Not sure why I am replying again, but... I would tend to believe the actual developers of Firefox on what is a release.
    Maybe the about screen is incomplete, you have not posted exactly what it says.

See this: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    From Mozilla's Releases page to which dbw77 just linked:

20110614-bt7secu6e2yegg1rdm3e6jtedk.jpg

Not that I think there was still any confusion, but just in case there was. :-)

I don't think it can be made any clearer than that. Perhaps it is best to move on. We will all be in agreement in about a week anyway. :lol:
  • Catcher
    Catcher
    Community Member
    I thought FF5 was going to be released this Tuesday 21 June. Would be nice to think I could use it with 1P on release.
  • One more vote for FF5 support. For what it's worth, I just got the final release from the Mozilla FTP site.
  • sghill wrote:

One more vote for FF5 support. For what it's worth, I just got the final release from the Mozilla FTP site.

Agile just released the 1Password beta that includes FF5 support, works great!
    Thanks Guys!
  • dhark01
    dhark01
    Community Member
    Hi Guys!

I only wanted to thank you!! As always you never disappoint your users ;-)
    FF 5 isn't even released officially and you already have support for it !!

I already tested the new beta 42 with FF 5 and for me it works like a charm !!

Thanks again and keep up the great work !

regards,

dhark01
This discussion has been closed.