Safari extension iOS 9.01, 1PW 6.01, iPhone 6s - not found under Share/Activities to enable

Options
HenryAZ
HenryAZ
Community Member
edited October 2015 in iOS

I cannot find out how to add the Safari extension on my new phone. Yes, I am using the lower of the two "More" buttons. See screen shot, it is just not there.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for the screenshot @HenryAZ. This may seem like a silly question, but you have 1Password installed on the device and have launched it prior to attempting to enable to Safari extension, correct?

Ben

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, installed, and launched at least once (where I have to use the master password to get in), so I can get in subsequent times with Touch ID.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HenryAZ: Well thats just nuts. I wonder why iOS isn't offering the 1Password extension!

It may be that the app (or its preferences in iOS) is simply damaged. Please backup your 1Password data, delete the app, install a fresh copy from the App Store, and then restore (or simply sync) your data back. Finally, verify that you're able to enable the 1Password extension now.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member
    Options

OK, brenty, I did everything you said. Removed the app from the phone and rebooted the phone. I even deleted the app from where it is stored on disk on the OS X machine running iTunes. Then started over from scratch, downloaded the app, reinstalled, resynced, and still no Safari extension (I did notice that the app "remembered" my in-app purchase this time around. The first time I installed it, on the brand new phone, I had to "restore purchases"). In generating the diagnostic report, you mentioned logs, and your helpful instructions link says to pick logs that you recommend (and you did not mention any particular logs), so I made a stab at selecting logs that looked like they might help, and left off ones that definitely looked inappropriate for this, such as Dropbox (which I don't use), and Cloud keychain (which I don't use). If you need more logs, let me know which ones to select.

I just received a robotic email acknowledgement of my diagnostics email arriving at your place.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks Henry! We've indeed received your report and will review it ASAP. We'll continue the conversation via email to avoid any confusion or duplication of efforts. Thanks!

Ben

ref: GNX-51952-741

• bill_gmail
    bill_gmail
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem on a new iPhone 6s Plus – no Safari extension in the Activities list and no touch login to 1Password no matter how many times I log in.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bill_gmail,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with enabling the extension in Safari and using Touch ID with 1Password.

Just to be sure, are you in Safari when trying to enable the 1Password extension? I once made the mistake of looking for it under Share>Activities from the wrong app. :)

Have you checked the Touch ID FAQs for tips on how to get that working?

… no matter how many times I log in.

Where exactly are you logging in?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

• bill_gmail
    bill_gmail
    Community Member
    Options

In answer to your question I was logging in to 1Password – if I go to another app, such as Safari and then return to 1Password I have to log in again even though it has only been a minute and there is no way to do so with touch, the only method 1Password is offering is the rectangle for my password.
    I'm not just having problems enabling the extension – the extension isn't there on the Activities list in the first place. And yes, I'm in Safari – I choose the Share icon, click on More and the Activities' list doesn't have the 1Password extension.
    The phone has been shut down and restarted a number of times since I got it to make sure other apps were working properly.

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member
    Options

bill_gmail, you mean it looks just like my screen shot at the beginning of the thread? :) Mine still does, after updates to iOS 9.0.1 and 9.0.2, I am still not seeing any option for enabling the Safari extension. I've had an exchange in email with support personnel right after starting this thread, but there has been nothing new reported or suggested for two weeks now.

It's too bad really, this is the most sought-after feature I have looked for in 1Password for iOS since its inception.

I am wondering if there is some security (or other) setting in the iOS app that may be preventing the extension's showing up?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015
    Options

I am wondering if there is some security (or other) setting in the iOS app that may be preventing the extension's showing up?

@HenryAZ: This shouldn't be possible. Apple designed extensions such that they are securely isolated, and thus there are simply no iOS extension settings that can be changed. This is really awesome when things are working properly, but it doesn't offer much in the way of troubleshooting when they're not. :(

I'm really sorry you're still suffering from this strange problem. I've been pouring over our correspondence and the various diagnostics you've sent looking for some clue, but the only thing that gives any indication of what the problem might be seems rather nonsensical: it appears that the extension is missing form the 1Password for iOS app bundle. This also shouldn't be possible.

The obvious solution would be to install a fresh copy of the app, but...you've done that! However, after reviewing everything again, I think there may be some clue. It sounds like you downloaded 1Password with iTunes on your computer and then sync'd it over. Is that the case?

There are a few reasons why this may be significant. iOS 9 is known to have some issues with app bundles, and this is part of the reason Apple ended up disabling their headline App Slicing feature: incomplete or incorrect app bundles were installing. Obviously this isn't quite the same, but it does seem like there may be a connection there.

So if you previously reinstalled using iTunes, please try the opposite: delete 1Password, restart your iPhone, and install it directly from the App Store on your iPhone. It may be that most people nowadays are doing it this way rather than syncing (I know I have only done this rarely since Apple added over-the-air updates — can't remember the name of this initiative), so perhaps this setup doesn't receive as much testing as it once did, especially with changes to the way apps are installed in iOS 9.

Conversely, if I misunderstood you and you'd already tried installing directly using the App Store on your device, be sure to set me straight. I'm sorry that we don't have a solution for you yet, but I'm confident that we'll be able to get this working. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bill_gmail: I'm sorry that you're also encountering this perplexing problem! I wonder if the diagnostics will show something similar in your case. Could you please generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App

Enable the log settings first, then try installing the extension again. That probably won't work, but that's okay for now! Once you've tried that with the extra logging, create a diagnostics report and send it to us. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and please follow up here with your Support ID so I can take a look at it. We'll get this working for you! :)

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

brenty,

Yes, you are correct, I manage all my apps in iTunes, and sync them to the phone from there. I find it much easier to browse the App store in iTunes, and in addition, I then have copies of my apps locally as individual file bundles for additional backup. And it is easier to do app updates directly in iTunes on the computer. When you buy directly through the App store on the phone, the app never gets synced back to iTunes, though it presence and features are detected. In fact, I manage my phone completely from iTunes, including using IPSW files to install the new iOS versions.

However, I did as you suggested, deleted the app (and moved it out of the iTunesMedia location on my computer). I then downloaded it from the App store on the phone (which was an adventure in itself, because I had to enter my AppleID password manually. Usually, on the phone, I would go into 1Password and use the clipboard to transfer the password, but I no longer had 1Password at that point). Anyway, got the app installed that way. I rebooted the phone, killed and restarted 1Password and Safari, and no luck at all. The extension still does not show up in the Activities list.

It was a good suggestion though, that somehow made sense. The two versions shouldn't be different, no matter which way you download them, but with Apple anything is possible.

I deleted the phone's App store version, and returned to managing the app via iTunes. Once again, I download a fresh copy, though, and went through the mumbo-jumbo of closing everything, rebooting, resetting up 1Password on the phone, including wi-fi sync and my other options, then took a look at Safari, and again, no extension.

• Ben
    Options

I'm scratching my head a bit here, @HenryAZ. Now that you've done the reinstall could you please send us a fresh diagnostic report? Please include both a link to this thread and support ID GNX-51952-741.

Thanks!

Ben

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member
    Options

You should have the diagnostics report now.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks, @HenryAZ. Got it.

ref: GNX-51952-741

• HenryAZ
    HenryAZ
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I finally got it to work, following a round-about path.

First, background. I received a follow-up email from Andrew Costen suggesting I try some (any) of the other apps that have the extension supported. One of the ones on the list was Transmit, an ftp program, which I already had installed. I didn't have any ftp logins currently in my 1PW database, so I created one. First, I looked and looked all over Transmit for a way to add the extension, with no luck. Then I set up the ftp site as a new connection in Transmit, and when I got to the field that asked for a password, it brought up 1Password, which I then used to fill in the password. I still don't see the extension listed anywhere in Transmit, but it just "seems to work" when you reach the login point.

So, back to Safari. I have been looking for the extension, per your instructions, with a blank page loaded in Safari (my home page is about:blank), while I go into the Activities menu area. I successfully found the Purify extension that way, but as per my screen shot above, I never saw the 1Password extension. Recalling my experience with Transmit, I took Safari to a forum login page, which was in the 1PW database, and as soon as I got to the login page, I used your instructions again, looked in activities, and found your extension (already checked/activated, by the way), which I promptly moved to the top of the list. I used it to login to that forum.

However, when I navigate away from the forum, back to about:blank, the extension does not show up in the list. So I went to a different forum, and at the login page the extension showed up once again in the list, already at the top of the list, and I again used it to login.

Pursuing further, I went to a web site where I have no account, and lo and behold the 1PW extension shows up right where it should be in the list.

It appears, then, that your extension does not like to show itself on a blank page. All of my testing on it to date has been from my home page (about:blank), which is where I leave Safari "parked". Leave it to oddball me to find the one exception where your extension does not seem to work (or at least reveal itself).

BTW, the about:blank thing is from a long work history as a sysadmin, and firing up a browser to use for troubleshooting you do not want it doing anything at first, until you start probing with it. Plus it always loads quicker.

• Andrew_AG
    Andrew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Okay, that explains a lot. Yes, 1Password does require Safari to be on an actual website before the extension will appear. That's a good catch, since I'm guessing none of us sit on "about:blank" in Safari. We have opened a request to get this adjusted, but in the meantime, it does sound like everything is working as it's supposed to (aside from the fact that "the way it's supposed to" has caused some confusion).

ref: OPI-3135

This discussion has been closed.