Loosing my passwords and getting old ones!

Options
przemmaj
przemmaj
Community Member

Hi,

In recent days I noticed that my 1password removed some of my passwords and credit cards informations. Today I noticed old password coming back (the ones I removed some time ago) and again missing some others!

What's going on?????

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:diagnostics

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I think in order to get to the bottom of the problem we really need a little more information. Do you sync your 1P data to any other device? If so, what version of 1P are you running on the other device and what sync method do you use? Is your 1P data correct on the device to which you sync it (if you do sync)?

1P data will never just change itself without some form of user intervention so I'm guessing there is some sync problem that is the root cause of the difficulty.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @przemmaj,

I'm sorry you're having this odd problem with 1Password! As Stephen suggested, it's possible this could be related to a sync issue. However, there's another possible cause for something like this - have you ever purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store? It looks like you have the AgileBits Store version installed, as the latest release of that is version 5.3.2. If you also have the Mac App Store version installed (or had it installed on your Mac at some point), it would have a separate database, so your newer data might be there.

Please open the Applications folder on your Mac and look for any copies of 1Password in there. The AgileBits Store version would be named 1Password 5.app, and the Mac App Store version would be named 1Password.app. Which one(s) do you see in Applications? If you have both, check them to see which has your newer data.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• przemmaj
    przemmaj
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi,

You are right. I have two versions of 1password - don't know how...

1password and 1password 5 but "1password" has the data I was missing.

What should I do to fix this?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @przemmaj,

If both applications look the same when you open them then it would indicate that you likely purchased 1Password for Mac from Apple's Mac App Store but that at some point you have also downloaded 1Password 5 from our site. If the 1Password copy has your real vault then all you should need to do is move the 1Password 5 copy to your Trash and just for safety reboot your Mac. That way we guarantee nothing is residing in memory. If you believe there is any new data in 1Password that isn't in 1Password 5 though that makes it a bit more complex - we can cover that situation if you believe it is necessary. If all you need to do though is ensure you only use the 1Password vault then moving 1Password 5 to your Trash will do the trick :smile:

If you have any problems please do tell us.

• przemmaj
    przemmaj
    Community Member
    Options

I think moving to Trash will be enough but thanks for proposition! One question though: is there any difference besides naming ? Will the version "1Password" downloaded from Mac store remains updated?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @przemmaj,

From your perspective the only real difference between the two is that the 1Password copy, the one that came from the Mac App Store, can synchronise to iCloud as it has permission to do so. Sometimes the version numbers don't quite match up like now. The reason is the changes in both 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 were related to licensing, something that Apple handle for all apps and applications that are available from their stores.

As to your final question, Apple will handle notifying you of all updates to the Mac App Store version of 1Password. You'll get notifications any time any application from the Mac App Store (including OS X updates) is available or maybe you have allowed Apple to automatically update in which case there is nothing you need to do :smile:

• przemmaj
    przemmaj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot :) cheers!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! If you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.