Bug: Cannot auto-fill form using with non-standard port in saved URL

Options
xver
xver
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello, I'm using 1Password 4.0.6.586 on Windows 10 with Firefox. There appears to be an issue with finding and auto-filling logins when URLs contain a port numbers. My keychain contains an entry for a Synology NAS login page. The entry was created with 1Password under OS X and contains the following URL:

http://nashostname.fritz.box:5000/webman/index.cgi

The entry does not show up under 1Password for Windows when attempting to auto-fill it using the Firefox extension. Instead, the extension suggests two unrelated logins which are also under the "fritz.box" Domain (but have no port number in their URL.)

When I add a second URL to the entry without the port number, like so:

http://nashostname.fritz.box/webman/index.cgi

Then the entry is displayed by the Firefox extension on Windows. Note that I have the "Enable multiple URLs" option enabled.

I would conclude that there is some issue with searching for URLs that contain a port number in the Windows version of 1Password - they are simply not shown at all.

EDIT: Auto-filling works correctly with 1Password under OS X (where the entry was created), which is why I posted this into the Windows forum. Please move at will if this belongs somewhere else.

1Password Version: 4.0.6.568
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @xver,

Do you have lenient URL matching enabled in the Login preferences of 1Password?
    If not, can you please enable it and check if it works better?

I have a Synology server but in a different setup than yours that doesn't contain a .XYZ domain after the device name.

Cheers!

• xver
    xver
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @AlexHoffmann,

There appears to be no such option in the preferences of 1Password 4.6. I did a bit of searching, and where it says "Lenient URL Matching" on the screenshot in this article: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/logins-tab - it says "Enable multiple URLs" in the current version. From the description in the article, they appear to be the same option with different name.

The option "Enable multiple URLs" was already enabled. The option does not seem to affect the behavior.

After a bit more trial and error, I got things to work, however there is definitely something spooky going on here: The Windows and OS X version do not completely seem to agree on what's in the database.

The solution was to remove the URL using the Windows version, save the entry, open it again, and re-add the URL. An interesting observation is that the "Location" column in the Windows version displayed "fritz.box" only, instead of "nashostname.fritz.box", after re-adding the URL. When I add the URL on OS X, the Location column on Windows says "nashostname.fritz.box" again. This is easily reproducible and seems to be an incompatibility between your Windows and OS X version. Whenever the Location column contains the full domain name, the entry does not show up in Firefox on Windows.

Once I re-added the URL using the Windows version like described above, the Windows Firefox extension displayed the entry correctly (until I edit it with the OS X version again...)

Regards,
    Oliver

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xver: Sorry for the confusion! Indeed, these are somewhat similar, but they're named differently between the Mac and Windows versions because they serve slightly different functions.

In 1Password for Mac, lenient URL matching works as you expect: it allows 1Password to simply match the TLD, rather than the subdomain, etc. when filling logins.

In 1Password for Windows, "Enable multiple URLs" does exactly what it says: if you do not have this enabled, 1Password ignores all but the first URL when matching for login filling.

Now, you're probably wondering why anyone would want to disable this. But because 1Password for Windows is working with the vault in real time to encrypt and decrypt data on the fly, this of course uses significant system resources; so on slower systems disabling this can speed up searching and filling, since 1Password then only needs to process one URL per item.

I believe the issue you're describing is a byproduct of this key difference: 1Password for Mac saves the full URL in the item overview for easy access, since it needs to support both lenient and strict URL matching; whereas 1Password for Windows can save only the TLD in the overview for matching, since it doesn't have an option for lenient matching. To be clear: both have the same (full) URL, but the overview is saved to make matching and filling faster, and this is where the two versions have different needs. This is working as intended for both versions, but obviously what we would like to do is make this both more flexible and more consistent across platforms.

There are a lot of edge cases with URL matching, and there likely always will be. But the least we can do is make the experience more predictable across all versions. Again, I'm sorry that you ran into this issue, and we'll have to do better in the future. Thanks so much for bringing this up! :)

ref: OPM-3309

• xver
    xver
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thank you for the elaborate explanation, this makes sense.

• You're welcome, @xver

This discussion has been closed.