Upgrade iMac from Mountain Lion 10.8.5 to the latest Yosemite.

bkatz
bkatz
Community Member

I have to upgrade from Mountain Lion to Yosemite. Will my 1P4.4.3 work with the latest Yosemite? If I do have to upgrade to a new 1P, I assume my passwords will automatically transfer as they have in the past. Is there an upgrade discount if I do have to go that route?

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: 10.8.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:will 4.4.3 work with Yosemite

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, 1PW4 will work on Yosemite.

The good news is that 1PW5, which requires at least Yosemite, is a free upgrade from 1PW4.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bkatz,

As danco mentioned, 1Password 5 is a free upgrade from 1Password 4 (one is essentially an update of the other). So assuming you have a license for version 4, it will also work with version 5. After you install Yosemite, open 1Password 4 and check for updates (in the 1Password menu), and that should prompt you to install version 5. That's all you need to, unless you're doing a clean install of Yosemite.

Now, whether or not you're doing a clean install of Yosemite, you should make sure you have a backup of your 1Password data before upgrading, just in case something goes wrong. From the main 1Password app, go to File > Backup. That will make a new backup, and also open the Backup preferences window. If you click the Show Files button there, it will open the location of your 1Password backups in the Finder, and you can copy those somewhere else (like a USB drive, or other external/backup drive) just to make sure you have extra copies.

Hopefully it all goes well, but we're here for you if you have more questions about that. :)

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member

Got it. One last thing: I can't find my license, but I may well have had a free upgrade from 1P 3. I can't tell for certain and I can't use the "send us your email address" license recovery because I changed providers. Not a problem, though. It's worth every penny to have the peace of mind of 1Password. I'll just buy the 1P5 when I download Yosemite. And yes, I'll back it all up beforehand.
    Thanks.
    Bruce

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

Hi @bkatz,

Please send us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com and let us know what email address your license was registered under, and we can update it for you and find your most current license.

Even if your most current license is for 1Password 3, you can use that key to get a great discount on a v5 license in our upgrade store. :)

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member

Vee,

Thanks. Just sent it out. Have a good weekend.

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member

Oops. The email just bounced back as undeliverable/non-existing account. I used (cut & paste) the address Vee gave. What's my next option?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2015

Don't know what happened with Vee's indication of the email address. But from many other forum discussions I think the address should have been support+licenses@agilebits.com. At any rate, that is worth trying while you are waiting for an official reply (which you will get).

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Oh my! So sorry about that, @bkatz! That's a very bad place to have a typo. I've edited the email address in both my above post and @danco's post to avoid any confusion for anyone else reading this: support+licenses@agilebits.com is the correct email address. Sorry again!

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member

No worries! Just re-posted to the right address. Thanks for the quick response!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @bkatz!

You should have received an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Would you mind posting that number here so we can track down your email quickly? Thanks!

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member

My support ID is [#MBQ-26961-452].

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @bkatz!

I see that Marshall has beat me to it and updated your license info for you. :) Feel free to reply to that email if you need anything else.

Otherwise, have a great weekend!

ref: MBQ-26961-452

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member

support ID [#MBQ-26961-452]
    I'm preparing to back up the data on a LaCie hard drive. If I back up the 1P app, does all the data -- passwords, logins, wallet, etc. -- transfer, or is there a library/cache I have to separately back up? I'd hate to lose the important stuff out of carelessness.

• bkatz
    bkatz
    Community Member

Ooops. Just saw Drew's instructions. I'll get back to you if I have any problems. Sorry.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

No problem, @bkatz, it's all good! :) We'll be here if you need anything else.

This discussion has been closed.