I forgot my master password.

ryanscomputer
ryanscomputer
Community Member

I bought 1 password for my macbook pro and have forgotten the master password, and I have misplaced the piece of paper where I had stored it. I would like to down load 1password to my iPhone 6s but it requires the master password which I am unsure of. I paid full price for this app and would like to have my password reset please. Thank you very much.
Ryan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:forgot-master-password, kb:master-password-not-accepted

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

No one can reset your master password. No one has it besides you, and AgileBits never has your data or your master password. And no one can access your data without the master password. All of that is part of the security built in to the application. But that has the side effect that if you truly forget your master password, there is nothing to be done but to start over from scratch.

There is an article that describes a few things to try in cases like yours, mostly to help jog your memory. Before you give up, give these tips a try: I lost or forgot my Master Password. Help!

If those tips don't help, you'll need to start over with an empty vault. Directions are here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ryanscomputer: Indeed, AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in the guide hawkmoth linked, as they may help you gain access again.

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. And to be clear, 1Password for iOS is an entirely separate app. It will only require your Master Password if you've already set it up or sync'd your data over from another device.

• ryanscomputer
    ryanscomputer
    Community Member

I remembered the password my morning. I am going to store the password in my phone as well having it written down in a new location. Thank you both, and have a nice day.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

That's great news! And a big relief to you, I am sure.

I don't think it is a good idea to save your password on your phone, if by that you mean to put in plain text somewhere such as Notes. That's asking for trouble if your phone is ever stolen and compromised. Writing it down and storing the paper somewhere safe is a good idea, though. Safe means a safe or safe deposit box, not your wallet or pocket. ;)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ryanscomputer,

I'm really happy to hear you remembered your master password! I just love happy endings. ;)

As hawkmoth said, it's not a good idea to write down your master password anywhere that someone else could potentially find it. In fact, we usually recommend that you don't keep your master password anywhere except in your head. If you want to change your master password to something easy to remember but still strong, we have some great tips here: How do I choose a good Master Password?

If you decide you need to have your master password written down somewhere, you might be interested in the 1Password Emergency Kit which some of our users created a while ago. It is a PDF file you can use to write down important information like your master password, your computer's login password, and other things you might need to know if you can't access 1Password. If you use that, just remember to keep it somewhere safe (like a safe deposit box).

If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.